LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Currently use a simple TomTom Start 20 series in the van, but looking to replace it with one that can be updated by wi-fi, rather than plugging into a PC.

We only have Chromebooks in the house now and apparently TomTom mydrive system is not compatible - doh! :(

Have always used TomTom (and Google navigation on the phone as a back up), so familiar with the system.

But interested in recommendations and whether there is anything to choose between TomTom and Garmin (which we've never used)?

The TT Start 20 has stopped working (not locking on to satellites) because it requires some sort of update, which I'm unable to do it with a Chromebook. Not very savvy or technical and decided it might be time to get something new that will update via wi-fi in any case. :)

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
We used to use a Tom Tom One. Wanted a bigger screen and latest features. Almost spent £300 or so, but friend recommended Tom Tom Go on iPhone or iPad.
Tried it for a month and now plan to buy a years use for 17.99.
Beats buying expensive hardware every 3 or 4 years. iPad has Simm card so great screen size.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Get a radio with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Then you can just use Google Maps from your phone. Less devices to worry about. Any searches you do on the Chromebook will appear on the phone. Apps like CamperContact link straight through to Maps, so no annoying transferring of addresses or lat/long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have only ever used Garmin. Both motorcycle (zumo 660) and motorhome 760. I find them very easy to use and very easy to plot routes using basecamp. I have tried to use tom tom in work vehicles but they seem very strange and not user friendly.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
"TomTom or Garmin?"

Neither Mike. :( A Nozatec (or preferably), an Xgody886 Truck Sat Nav, using iGo Primo mapping. Android devices using iGo are also in the running.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Be aware that Google Maps isn't always up to date.

I too prefer Garmin because of it's stand alone mapping programs.

Bob Morrison

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 130
Exp
5 years
I work in Halfords part time and have seen something like 10 TomToms returned faulty to 1 Garmin - Garmin in my opinion much more reliable and easier to use.
May be worth mentioning that most of the small boats around our coastline use Garmin (just look at the harbour masters station and you'll see their antenna) and lots of light aircraft use Garmin too - so they've got to be reliable.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Be aware that Google Maps isn't always up to date.

I too prefer Garmin because of it's stand alone mapping programs.

Google is far more likely to be up to date than other providers. They use their snooping powers to track the billions of smartphones and run it through smart algorithms to spot changes to roads and junctions. Nobody else can do this.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Google is far more likely to be up to date than other providers. They use their snooping powers to track the billions of smartphones and run it through smart algorithms to spot changes to roads and junctions. Nobody else can do this.
I went to an aire in Hautmont, Google Maps didn't show the road leading to it... though street view did.

Luckily Garmin mapping did, anyone relying on Google to navigate to it would have been well and truly lost.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a TomTom GO500..... I wish it would fail.
Being a tight arsed Yorkshire man I won't replace it until it does but it WON'T BE WITH ANOTHER TOMTOM PIECE OF SHIT.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you everybody - it sounds as though I should take a serious look at a Garmin sat-nav.
"TomTom or Garmin?"

Neither Mike. :( A Nozatec (or preferably), an Xgody886 Truck Sat Nav, using iGo Primo mapping. Android devices using iGo are also in the running.

Cheers,

Thanks Jock, but I've got a Nozatec Truck Sat Nav, and for whatever reason I don't really get on with it.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everybody for the advice - it sounds as though I should be looking at a Garmin sat nav. (y)

Interestingly, John Lewis no longer sell TomTom, only Garmin... ;) :)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Get a radio with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Then you can just use Google Maps from your phone. Less devices to worry about. Any searches you do on the Chromebook will appear on the phone. Apps like CamperContact link straight through to Maps, so no annoying transferring of addresses or lat/long.
My son just got a - new to him - car, which is only 10 months old. He particularly wanted a vehicle with Android Auto, and he's impressed.

Trouble is we are super happy with the standard Pioneer digital radio that came with the van, and reluctant to change it. Appreciate the suggestion however.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just changed my Tomtom Start for a Tomtom Go Essential which has WiFi and Bluetooth and I am very pleased with it. This is my 4th Tomtom and all will still work if I wanted them to.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock, but I've got a Nozatec Truck Sat Nav, and for whatever reason I don't really get on with it.
Sorry to hear that Mike. :(
The Xgody 886 with the capacitive screen is much better. :)

I have just ordered one of these. (But not from that supplier). I saw one at the weekend, and was really impressed with it's performance and screen images. (y) I'll update the maps to 2018 Q4 as soon as it arrives, unless 2019 Q1 becomes available before then. :)

Good luck sourcing the right Sat Nav for yourself. (y)

Cheers,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry to hear that Mike. :(
The Xgody 886 with the capacitive screen is much better. :)

I have just ordered one of these. (But not from that supplier). I saw one at the weekend, and was really impressed with it's performance and screen images. (y) I'll update the maps to 2018 Q4 as soon as it arrives, unless 2019 Q1 becomes available before then. :)

Good luck sourcing the right Sat Nav for yourself. (y)

Cheers,

Will you be selling the 886 when you get the new one.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Will you be selling the 886 when you get the new one.
Sorry to disappoint you Manic, but I don't actually have an Xgody 886, which I would have bought had I not been taken in by the 9" Android Sat Nav/Tablet linked above. ;)

I have updated an 886 for A.N. Other, and was able to see the difference for myself, between that and the Nozatec. Lots of others swear by the 886. (y) You can pick them up new for about £40. ;)

Cheers,

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Tomtom routing software is diabolical.

Google maps is literally years ahead, it's up to date, has All POIs WITH CUSTOMER REVIEWS, it's free, has street view, it's fast.. I'll say that again because it's important, it's fast (because it uses a decent phone processor, not one out of a zx spectrum) , has free traffic info and satellite view.
Oh, and it sticks to the main roads usually (y)

It's a No brainer. I think people that stick with Tom Tom have never used anything else (you never miss what you've never had)
:)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Have had a Garmin Nuvi 3895 with free lifetime map updates for over 5 years now. Generally, it has worked very well and in particular, where there are complex lane changes etc (like joining the A4 form the AI just south of Charles De Gaulle).
There is one irritating glitch which Garmin haven't sorted; when updating the maps, the Garmin doesn't connect to the PC (or Mac) unless you delete all user data on the Garmin. This includes all favourites stored so is a nuisance. As you can't connect before deleting, there is no way you can back up your user data and reload. But other than that......

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Tomtom routing software is diabolical.

Google maps is literally years ahead, it's up to date, has All POIs WITH CUSTOMER REVIEWS, it's free, has street view, it's fast.. I'll say that again because it's important, it's fast (because it uses a decent phone processor, not one out of a zx spectrum) , has free traffic info and satellite view.
Oh, and it sticks to the main roads usually (y)

It's a No brainer. I think people that stick with Tom Tom have never used anything else (you never miss what you've never had)
:)
I have used Google navigation on and off for over 3 years - but perhaps surprisingly, prefer travelling and direction-finding with TomTom - just a personal thing I guess.

I know Google navigation has all sorts of benefits, as you've described - and as mentioned in my original post, we do use it as a back-up if TomTom isn't delivering for any reason.

But as a result of the advice received I'm going to have a look for a Garmin sat nav.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have a TomTom GO500..... I wish it would fail.
Being a tight arsed Yorkshire man I won't replace it until it does but it WON'T BE WITH ANOTHER TOMTOM PIECE OF SHIT.

Bring a little joy into your life, go out and buy a Garmin and then come home take your tom tom outside and smash it to bits with a large hammer.....

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I started off with a Garmin nuvi; it was simple, basic and totally reliable - in fact I still use it in the car and still have the map update service. I also used a Garmin when I was a part-owner of a light aircraft and it was very helpful, although I never really trusted it.

I then was given a TomTom, a couple of years old but still updateable and once I had sorted the different operating systems found it just as useful as the Garmin. I actually preferred it as it had more useful features, but then it was much more advanced than the Garmin.

Last year I decided to upgrade when the mapping would no longer fit on the data capacity. I looked at both Garmin and TomTom, as well as the various cheapos on the market and eventually settled on another TomTom, the Go6200, which had all the bells and whistles. Again it took a little bit of getting used to but I'm now very happy with it - except for the inability to use my own icons on the POIs, but that's not really a problem. The clincher for me was a special offer that TomTom had at the time otherwise I might have been tempted to another manufacturer.

I've never got on with Google maps, or indeed any of the "apps" for smartphones etc. To me a phone is for calls/texting, a watch is for telling the time, a camera is for taking pictures and a PC has to have a decent size screen so I can read it. So for navigation I prefer a "proper" satnav.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I work in Halfords part time and have seen something like 10 TomToms returned faulty to 1 Garmin - Garmin in my opinion much more reliable and easier to use.
May be worth mentioning that most of the small boats around our coastline use Garmin (just look at the harbour masters station and you'll see their antenna) and lots of light aircraft use Garmin too - so they've got to be reliable.
I have found that my mh doesn’t do well in deep water and I couldn’t take of even when I got to 45 mph :)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I have the GO Camper and a 660 Garmin Camper and of the two I prefer the GO Camper as the routing and Traffic appears to be better. Just recently after over 2 years the Garmin stopped suggesting a 23 mile journey when a 9 mile route is readily available but it is still routing through a shopping car park on one route. Today there was an Update for the Tomtom which will include @TerryL 's GO6200 where you can avoid Tunnels on your route, turn off Buildings on the mapping and have a Clear Route icon on the front screen which is handy.

Regarding Google Maps I have been trying that recently as I have CarPlay on my car. They are about to release a Tomtom CarPlay version so I have been seeing what the other options are like. On a recent trip I tried Google maps and cannot say I was particularly impressed. Firstly on a quick local test it offered 2 routes. The preferred route was fine the slightly longer route include a 6' 6" width restriction a 3T weak bridge and a road that would have the vegetation rubbing both sides at the same time. On the longer journey of 160 miles it failed to announce a number of cameras on the M25 and so may have missed some others, the turning instructions were poor and late at times and there were no indication of the speed limits of the road being used.. The routing on that occasion was fine.

Today I became aware of someone having problems in Guernsey. Google Earth knew where the 2 Waitrose stores having pictures of them and showed you the Postcodes of both. When you entered the postcode of one of them into Google Earth the result was a mile from the shop.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There is one irritating glitch which Garmin haven't sorted; when updating the maps, the Garmin doesn't connect to the PC (or Mac) unless you delete all user data on the Garmin. This includes all favourites stored so is a nuisance. As you can't connect before deleting, there is no way you can back up your user data and reload. But other than that......
Can you not install BaseCamp on your PC (Mac) and back-up from there? When my 760 Camper is connected to PC I can see both the internal and external (sd card) storage in BaseCamp and can manage the contents of the User Data, eg delete routes, favourites, etc as deleting them on the sat nav only seems to "hide" not fully remove.
I also have a copy of the sat nav installation on a usb stick that means I don't have to have the sat nav connected when route planning but only when transferring over routes created in the standalone installation. It also means I can do this on multiple PC's \ laptop \ etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back