Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Couldn't sleep so I turned on the laptop...

and...

...I have, with great satisfaction, just bought another year's subscription to the TomTom Live Services (£47.50 for a year) and treated myself (Christmas present?) to Homer Simpson's voice (£7.99) for my TomTom Live 1000 sat nav.

The joy I have of sitting in the middle of nowhere connected to the world through the mobile internet, buying stuff and having it to use almost instantly is immense...

I also wish to announce that it all went very smoothly and fast.. thanks to PayPal, TomTom and Vodafone.

TOMTOM ROOLS OK?...

... now please excuse me whilst I find out where the nearest BurgerKing is...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ where in the world are you at the moment?:Smile:

Hang on... let me check the sat nav... :winky:

5 kilometres from Ansiao in Central Portugal...

In Estoril on Friday and Saturday and then maybe a few days off...

JJ :Cool:

Where are you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Well done JJ, I too marvel at this modern fandangled internet world.........I think its great that you can be sat in your home in a field in the middle of no where and we can all chat away as though we were in the same room.....what ever next ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
well JJ at least you will be able to follow your team all over Europe in the champions league now oh sorry forgot they got knocked out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Im also finding it hard to sleep these night shifts are murder:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
why you pay,,,you can down load them FREE ??? and the new updates FREE sorry :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Are you talking about maps? JJ isn't.

Live Services. I have them free for about another two months, a complimentary thing with a new TomTom. I will renew too. The traffic is good and the instant fixes saves a lot of messing about but to have that ability to use Google anywhere in the world clinches it for me. Who needs POIs when you can do amazingly quick live google searches then be guided to your results. I agree TomTom Rules

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife's BMW has a really good built in sat nav. it tells you where the hold ups are and the reason for it.

I presume that's the same as the Tom Tom Live. Really useful especially if you hate jams as much as I do:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Right, you are now going to say "what a stupid question".:Doh:

What is the communications method for these live updates, and what does that cost extra to the £50'ish annual fee to tom tom??

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Right, you are now going to say "what a stupid question".:Doh:

What is the communications method for these live updates, and what does that cost extra to the £50'ish annual fee to tom tom??

TomTom somehow uses the satellite system and gprs to give you an always on connection to Google, no matter where you are. You use a regular search expression such as "Fiat Service" it returns results just like your PC would, you just touch the results to navigate to them. You need a TomTom that has the live services option.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Are you talking about maps? JJ isn't.

Live Services. I have them free for about another two months, a complimentary thing with a new TomTom. I will renew too. The traffic is good and the instant fixes saves a lot of messing about but to have that ability to use Google anywhere in the world clinches it for me. Who needs POIs when you can do amazingly quick live google searches then be guided to your results. I agree TomTom Rules

two or three sites do all of it free ,,i will try to ask arthur the sparky where but i think he get them from german/dutch site by logging on to it via bluetooth,,, the maps he down loads from bit torrent site :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
two or three sites do all of it free ,,i will try to ask arthur the sparky where but i think he get them from german/dutch site by logging on to it via bluetooth,,, the maps he down loads from bit torrent site :thumb:

Hi Nigel, yes the maps are available everywhere, but we are talking about a very specific service from TomTom that has nothing to do with the 'maps'

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
TomTom live uses the cellular networks to receive data of traffic conditions and Google etc did you know that it also sends your location and details of your journey back to tomtom :Eeek:

This is used to feed additional data to the traffic flow ie if a few tomtoms are on the M4 and all are moving slowly this will show up as a delay on the map

One Police force in Europe got hold of this information and repositioned speed cameras on roads that the data showed motorists speeding

more info http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16101141

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
One of the mosr usefull parts, is the "map sharing", which means that routes that i take are shared with others and the other way around. I often dissagree with stated routes (hgv driver) and that info corrects maps and is used by others, personally, I always use the facility to correct speed cameras as well..
Although i have the hump with TT at the mo, tis still the best system IMHO.::bigsmile:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
As mentioned on another current thread.

Don't bother paying for live services if all you are going to use is HD Traffic, the service is free if you purchase a TMC reciever. The new receiever is a big improvement over the original flakey one.

Link Removed

I don't like the idea of TomTom tracking me when I'm driving, using data from my mobile..... No thanks. I actually think that TMC is likely to be more correct and it works in far more countries.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If TMC can tell me where the nearest BurgerKing is and then direct me right to it with an amusing voice or tell me what the weather is like at my destination then I might think it is as good as TomTom is. If TMC can't do this then I don't believe we are talking about the same thing.

I don't care if TomTom knows where I am or if I like Burger King Double Whoppers with Extra Cheese and Bacon (no Pickle)...yes, that's right, the TomTom/Google Live Search lets you ring the chosen place with a touch of the screen...hands free of course... I am not ashamed!

JJ

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
No, TMC just carries traffic info. Although, if you're POIs are up to date, then Burger King wouldn't be an issue.

It's why I said "if you are only going to use the traffic".

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Is TMC that voice thingy going on about traffic that comes over the Sony stereo system, cutting into my Rammstein tracks?

If so, I think I might have a version :winky:

JJ

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011

Don't bother paying for live services if all you are going to use is HD Traffic, the service is free if you purchase a TMC reciever. The new receiever is a big improvement over the original flakey one.

Link Removed

I don't like the idea of TomTom tracking me when I'm driving, using data from my mobile..... No thanks. I actually think that TMC is likely to be more correct and it works in far more countries.

Hi again Craig, I'm stalking you from the other Thread :Smile:

It says on the TomTom link above that you can update using TomTom Home and it also says that TMC is compatible with my Via Live 125. BUT I thought that my instructions state that I must use My TomTom and not TomTom Home.
I may be able to do the same update from My TomTom but, I'm just wondering whether I've missed something here. If I install TomTom Home, can I use it to do other things with my Via Live 125?
Do you or anyone else know the answer to this?
I am, of course, easily confused :ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years

Link Removed

A lot of things that require some form of ariel are a "bit flakey" in Mh's, especially those with overcabs. I have to use an external ariel for the tomtom, and am looking at a way of extending the traffic ariel as well, these things always seem to not work when you need them. Its not just MH's either, cars/vans/trucks with heated front screens have had problems, and the rake of the screen can also cause a drop in efficiency. When TT give me my refund, I'll probably use it on the item you linked to, one, on your recommendation, and two it'll make one less thing to hide from the naughty people.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi again Craig, I'm stalking you from the other Thread :Smile:

It says on the TomTom link above that you can update using TomTom Home and it also says that TMC is compatible with my Via Live 125. BUT I thought that my instructions state that I must use My TomTom and not TomTom Home.
I may be able to do the same update from My TomTom but, I'm just wondering whether I've missed something here. If I install TomTom Home, can I use it to do other things with my Via Live 125?
Do you or anyone else know the answer to this?
I am, of course, easily confused :ROFLMAO:

Hmm, I honestly don't know, however, I would of thought that the update is the same update whichever way it's delivered? But not really certain.

A lot of things that require some form of ariel are a "bit flakey" in Mh's, especially those with overcabs. I have to use an external ariel for the tomtom, and am looking at a way of extending the traffic ariel as well, these things always seem to not work when you need them. Its not just MH's either, cars/vans/trucks with heated front screens have had problems, and the rake of the screen can also cause a drop in efficiency. When TT give me my refund, I'll probably use it on the item you linked to, one, on your recommendation, and two it'll make one less thing to hide from the naughty people.

The older TMC aerial wasn't too good, however, the new one has yet to fail on a signal. I use it in both my MH that has an overcab bed and my Land Rover that has a heated windscreen and so far, so good. The good thing with the new one is that it just replaces the charger lead with the receiver right up near the TomTom end of the cable so it sits nicely on the dash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back