Tomtom Go Live Camper & Caravan (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Looks interesting,

Link Removed

Anyone heard any reviews on this yet even though it's not out yet (according to TT website). Is it just a gimmick ? or could it actually be a useful tool ?

£350 is not cheap for a Nav these days.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Never been convinced about the navigation systems which are advertised as effectively knowing the width of the road - how do they do that?

I can understand that the system will know about width restrictions which are known to the local authority and registered as such, but fail to see how other narrow roads are recorded by the system.

Tried a Snooper which advertises the same facility, it failed to warn me of a road which I know is far too narrow for an A Class Hymer - sent it back for a refund.

The only sensible way to navigate is with a combination of a sat nav and a good map.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
So basically it's slightly bigger and twice the price of the one I'm selling here...

Broken Link Removed

...with a poi file and the promise of knowing the width of roads and height of bridges (which can be got in a poi file anyway)

I'm not convince the road width thing will work...the snooper gets it wrong and there are too many variables to handle road widths accurately.

I think it is tomtom's attempt to feature match the snooper and priced accordingly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Tomtom Camper

I bought one of these camping units about two weeks ago . My first impressions were good nice screen so very geeky usefull functions . I used it with the motor home this weekend for the first time, I must say it was a little disappointing the route it took was not the easiest. I only say that because I know the area, now I know with these things they should only be used as a good guide but I expected a little more. I'm going to try the other settings eg van or caravan to see what happens.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Bought them for stock after using one myself. Loaded with functions and I like the fact that I input height, length, width and up to a point weight.

It is "live" so I get live traffic reports, weather locally, at my destination or any other place I request.

Loads and loads of other functions that I haven't played with yet.

I'll answer any ones questions after my trip around France next month

Eddie

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Bought them for stock after using one myself. Loaded with functions and I like the fact that I input height, length, width and up to a point weight.

It is "live" so I get live traffic reports, weather locally, at my destination or any other place I request.

Loads and loads of other functions that I haven't played with yet.

I'll answer any ones questions after my trip around France next month

Eddie

Any feedback yet Eddie ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hawkmoon

Free Member
Feb 9, 2012
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I bought one and used it for my two week trip around France.

Generally pleased with it although I thought it ought to be quicker sorting out the route for a £350 bit of kit.

On my return last weekend I received an update so that it can now recognise vehicles heavier than 3500kgs.

Some of the roads were a bit narrow which makes you think it should have put you on an alternative road but then artics come trundling thro - you just keep fingers crossed that you don't meet one coming the other way on the narrow bits lol.

The Live services are quite good with the unit warning you of delays & offering you alternative routes but this is an extra expence after the first 12 months.

The unit consistanly sent me in different directions than my mates older TomTom which caused me some frustration wondering why he was turning left when my unit told me to go right but all in all it was useful to have.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Tom Tom

Just about every other day or third day I get a notification of updates, which is good especially for a new product. Certainly the unit it self is packed with lots of features useful ones at that.

My first post really related to the routing which seemed to take me the most complicated route ever but didn't seem to take note of the vehicle dims I entered. That said it did get me there although the route I would have planned would be different.

An interesting feature is the ability to switch between vehicles I have noticed that when set as a car the routes are interesting and mostly work well. One thing I have to say is that like a lot of these active devices as time moves on they will get better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back