TomTom Go live 1005 Caravan & Motorhome sat nav. (1 Viewer)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have a TomTom Go Live 1005 the caravan and motorhome sat nav, I have been very pleased with it during the 3 years I have had it but never been too happy with tomtom’s update system and prices but this is not about that. It has started to lose it sat link when in use, I have the most up to date software and have reloaded it all but it still now and then stops working. I contacted tomtom’s support and was not happy to be told that they have now stopped making this model. And suggest I buy a new one!!! I did some looking about online and it seems that they develop a problem with the hardware if the get too hot which can’t be rectified. So to anyone else who has one I hope yours keeps going. I will be replacing it with a new tomtom as I like the units but will get one with a life time free updates and will have to add the poi buy hand. The unit I’m looking at is half the price of the one I have.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will be replacing it with a new tomtom as I like the units but will get one with a life time free updates and will have to add the poi buy hand.
Before you do make sure that you are fully aware of the POI limitations.
See topics on the TomTom forums like This, This and This.
The latest models to be released apparently have no solution to the deficiencies so whether they will ever be rectified in the Nav4 range is hugely open to question.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a sign of the times. Tech moves on quickly and it's amazingly cheap for what you get so bin and buy new.

Hopefully you will get a better satellite receiver, more memory, better screen.

Of course "lifetime" is dictated by TomTom, I guess yout updates stop when your new satnav stops production.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
got a tom tom about 3 months ago its a Go 50 cant say is user friendly and the tom tom maps are not the best,

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Steve

You say you have been keeping the software up to date. Goes that include the every small file which I think is called something like gps. I think this is something that aids sat connection. It is issued almost daily.

Tomtom do not currently make a new style Nav 4 unit for Caravan and Motorhome. The nearest thing is the Truck unit which you can input vehicle dimensions.

The other thing is that the newest units have a very different interface which means it is like learning a whole new system. You can load 3rd party POI files onto the new ones and you can search them along a route, Near your destination, Near where you are etc and you can see where the results of those searches are on the map. However you cannot have say Campsites or Aires etc displayed on the map permenantly with their own destinctive icons and you cannot get a warning noise when you are near one.

I have a current Car Tomtom which I like but I have also been given a Garmin 660 LMD-t which is for caravans and Motorhomes. I like the units interface and search facilities along with its direction instructions. What I do have concerns with is the routing, It refuses to use a main A road where I live unless forced to then it takes me through a shopping parade. Today it tried to get me to Morrisons in Fort William via the railway station car park and the other day wanted me to go down a dead end trying to direct me to the Moffat campsite. Having a great time in Scotland!!!!

All the best.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I did have a tom tom pro nav before the Go50, it did not have Europe maps on it, I phoned them to buy the maps they told me they did not do them anymore so I was stuffed,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Goes that include the every small file which I think is called something like gps. I think this is something that aids sat connection. It is issued almost daily.
The GPSFix file is updated every time any other update is applied (automatically, no option to prevent it). That is if you can get MyDrive Connect to work in the first place :mad:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I have the Tom Tom Caravan and motorhome Satnav too,which fits in
the holder for the satnav slot on my Fiat Ducato.
Its getting a bit old now so do any other TomToms fit in cradle so I
can still use the slot on the dashboard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back