TomTom Go 6200 (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Amazon have the tomtom 6200 on their prime day deals down to £195.00, are they any good ?

Seems a good deal.

Karl

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Tomtom's are like Marmite you either love them or hate them.

I hate them, stick with Google Maps (y)

PS Marmite is horrible too :D2

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It is probably not 6200 truck only good for car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
You need the TomTom professional 6200 for the width/height/weight settings

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Tomtom's are like Marmite you either love them or hate them.
I hate them, stick with Google Maps (y)
PS Marmite is horrible too :D2

I have to agree with @Richard and Ann
My mate has a TomTom and really loves it.
He also loves Marmite.
So save yourself £195 and buy a jar of Marmite and see if you like it.;)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You need the TomTom professional 6200 for the width/height/weight settings

And how much is that.
I love my TomTom because I can download all the POI's for free . You don't need the Pro just don't listen to her if she want's to send you down a narrow lane, she soon gets the massage.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
And how much is that.

Many hundreds of pounds :)

Google Maps has all POIs known to man... and more up-to-date maps... And satellite View... And street view... And Web site links... and user reviews.
Oh and you can download offline maps (with navigation) too, just in case you lose data connection.

But don't let all that stop you spending 300 quid if you really love Marmite :ROFLMAO:(y)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Many hundreds of pounds :)

Google Maps has all POIs known to man... and more up-to-date maps... And satellite View... And street view... And Web site links... and user reviews.
Oh and you can download offline maps (with navigation) too, just in case you lose data connection.

But don't let all that stop you spending 300 quid if you really love Marmite :ROFLMAO:(y)
I would not be without sat nav it is handy to have

Wasting £300 on marmite unlikely but then i wouldn't waste money on a satelite dish for van and sit watching telly all the time

But whatever people spend money on is up to them being it wasteful or not

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I have a TomTom 6200 (not the truck version) and am looking to get rid of it - it has no idea of safe navigation and constantly sends me down narrow lanes and what appear to be shortcuts - have tried on fastest route, quickest route etc and I hate it. Don't care for Garmins much so probably going to use Maps app on my iPad - that seems to work well in the car with Apple CarPlay...

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
The traffic services on tomtom devices are superb and the over riding reason I use one.No other navigation device or app can touch it.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The traffic services on tomtom devices are superb and the over riding reason I use one.No other navigation device or app can touch it.

Wow, have you never used Waze or Google Maps? You can zoom up and see instantly what roads to avoid. They also suggest alternatives if navigating. With Waze you sometimes even get a photo and comments of the hold up. Tomtom have been left behind by the big boys, they will be just a software company in the future. Mark my words :eek::D2

Edit: They wouldn't be quite so bad if they fitted decent processors to handle the graphics/maps :(

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Hi.Yes I often run google maps or waze through android auto but still believe the traffic is better on the tomtom.Its probably the only thing that is though.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Dont know how you people run without sat nav that you can put dimensions in and weights

Having to use google or whatever do you have to visually look at complete route i dont know so am asking

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Dont know how you people run without sat nav that you can put dimensions in and weights

Having to use google or whatever do you have to visually look at complete route i dont know so am asking

Yes I know what route we want to take. It's easily viewable on Google maps or the atlas (unlike tomtom) Mostly we follow the signs for the next city, then the "all routes" signs, then the next city etc.
The tomtom used to try and trick me, it would start off following the route I wanted, it would follow the route for many miles perfectly to make me feel at ease... Then it would suddenly strike! A really stupid shortcut would be directed, sometimes a tiny unclassified road, sometimes a housing estate, sometimes just a really bonkers route that goes miles out of the way just to get on a 5 mile piece of dual carriageway :mad:

The really good stunts it pulled weren't noticed for a few miles, then I'd think, Hang on this can't be right!... THAT EFFING THING AGAIN! AAAARGH! :mad:

Still got it, but it's banished from giving directions, it sits there just giving speed and speed zone warnings. That's all it's good for.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Yes I know what route we want to take. It's easily viewable on Google maps or the atlas (unlike tomtom) Mostly we follow the signs for the next city, then the "all routes" signs, then the next city etc.
The tomtom used to try and trick me, it would start off following the route I wanted, it would follow the route for many miles perfectly to make me feel at ease... Then it would suddenly strike! A really stupid shortcut would be directed, sometimes a tiny unclassified road, sometimes a housing estate, sometimes just a really bonkers route that goes miles out of the way just to get on a 5 mile piece of dual carriageway :mad:

The really good stunts it pulled weren't noticed for a few miles, then I'd think, Hang on this can't be right!... THAT EFFING THING AGAIN! AAAARGH! :mad:

Still got it, but it's banished from giving directions, it sits there just giving speed and speed zone warnings. That's all it's good for.
Understand a bit more now it does take you on less direct routes

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
Howz about a link or two to the alternatives to Tomtom etc.?
some 'how to' tips would be welcome :)
Kiss principle rules ;)

getting a bit cheesed off with TT's non-magical mystery tours too (!)

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I have a TomTom 6200 (not the truck version) and am looking to get rid of it - it has no idea of safe navigation and constantly sends me down narrow lanes and what appear to be shortcuts - have tried on fastest route, quickest route etc and I hate it. Don't care for Garmins much so probably going to use Maps app on my iPad - that seems to work well in the car with Apple CarPlay...
well if its not the truck version it will obviously send you down narrow roads.... it thinks you are a car :rolleyes:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
well if its not the truck version it will obviously send you down narrow roads.... it thinks you are a car :rolleyes:
But you wouldn't (well I wouldn't) go down them in a car either. Our van's not all that big so it can go nearly everywhere.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Tom Tom 6000 Truck, used it for years never let us down, free map updates for life

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Truck one will send you down narrow roads as well also dirt tracks depends on settings

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think tomtoms hate all Richards. They are Richard-ist :cry:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Truck one will send you down narrow roads as well also dirt tracks depends on settings
Really!! surely if you put in your dimensions, it will not take you down there.... have to say i have used Tom Tom truck for many years both with a 7.5 metre caravan + tow car so circa 12 metre rig and never, ever had a problem both here and on the continent

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Really!! surely if you put in your dimensions, it will not take you down there.... have to say i have used Tom Tom truck for many years both with a 7.5 metre caravan + tow car so circa 12 metre rig and never, ever had a problem both here and on the continent
My tomtom go 6200 professional that allows dimensions to be put in can and does take you down narrow lanes ( single vehicle lane ) and it also takes you on un-made roads ( dirt tracks ) and it is also probably down to how you have set it up - putting shortest route rather than fastest is generally when it does it

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
My tomtom go 6200 professional that allows dimensions to be put in can and does take you down narrow lanes ( single vehicle lane ) and it also takes you on un-made roads ( dirt tracks ) and it is also probably down to how you have set it up - putting shortest route rather than fastest is generally when it does it
I think i would be contacting tom tom, as that is surely not what should happen. And i question is it fit for purpose, what is the point of putting in dimensions if it is then going to take you down a dirt track... Ours will often take you the longer way around to ensure you are on main A roads, and i have mine set to fastest

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I think i would be contacting tom tom, as that is surely not what should happen. And i question is it fit for purpose, what is the point of putting in dimensions if it is then going to take you down a dirt track... Ours will often take you the longer way around to ensure you are on main A roads, and i have mine set to fastest
That is what i was saying it is down to settings shortest route probably more scenic but can put you places you dont really want to drive down unmade roads or narrow parts - or fastest which is main roads so no problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back