TomTom ends support/updates for certain SatNav models (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Their 'lifetime' updates service refers to the lifetime of the product as decided by TomTom, not your perosnal lifetime.

A number of models will have support/updates withdrawn as they have had their death certificates signed by TomTom:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

GO 750 (W7) XL 2nd Edition (RC/RI/RN/RV) XXL 530/535/540/550 SERIES
ONE 4th Edition (PC/PF/PI/PL/PO/PQ) START (XB/XD/XF/XH) EASE (XI/XJ/XK/XL)
PLUS (XN/XM) XL 4th Edition (GJ/GI/GK/GP) GO 1000 (TD/TB)
GO 1005 (SF/SB) VIA 110/130/220 VIA 120 (AN/AU/FM)
START 20/25/45/55/60 XXL CLASSIC SERIES (GQ) GO 700 (M5)
GO 630 (JB) GO 720 (M6) GO 730 (J4)
GO 740 (WR/WL) GO 750 (W4) GO I90 (DC)
ONE IQ ROUTES (P1/PS/P2/PU) ONE 140 (RED) (PM) XL 3rd Edition (R1/RS/R2/R4/RU)
GO 820 (FT) GO 825 (FY)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
They have e-mailed customers advising which is the replacement model for there current one.
I looked on e-bay and my replacement is the 6200 which ranges from just under £300 to over £500.
Co-piolet for us me thinks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Ah this reminds me of when they stopped support for their application which also had lifetime support. Don't know what their strategy is but younger folk use free apps on their phone and they are hacking off us oldies.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Oh dear,Had a email. No more updates. Can't complain. Had my Go700 fourteen years.maps been out of date for years.many times I've been driving through fields and rivers.Looks like it' time to get a new one.Just ordered Garmin camper 600lmt from Argos. If it lasts as Long as TomTom I'll be a Happy chap

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Over the last few years the sale of stand alone sat nav units has plummeted and that has hit TT's profits very badly. This is why they do this, but it is also why so few people are buying them nowadays. You can only screw people a few times and then they walk away.

I have had Sygic on all my Android phones for 9 years and I have had free updated software and maps all that time. It originally cost £60 for the Western Europe maps. Last year I updated to maps for all of the world and live traffic updates for (my) life all for £16.49. Bear in mind that Sygic use Tom Tom Maps and you can see why so many people use their phones.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Oh dear. Built in obselescense. Have been very happy with my basic Go25, it does all I need. I did see them being sold off for £79, and this is obviously why. It is so annoying. I suppose I'll have to look and the Chinese ones. Do they have lifetime updates? I don't fancy buying TomTom again if this is what they do.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Over the last few years the sale of stand alone sat nav units has plummeted and that has hit TT's profits very badly. This is why they do this, but it is also why so few people are buying them nowadays. You can only screw people a few times and then they walk away.

I have had Sygic on all my Android phones for 9 years and I have had free updated software and maps all that time. It originally cost £60 for the Western Europe maps. Last year I updated to maps for all of the world and live traffic updates for (my) life all for £16.49. Bear in mind that Sygic use Tom Tom Maps and you can see why so many people use their phones.
Only worry with that Peter is what do they do if they think you have had your money's worth :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Only worry with that Peter is what do they do if they think you have had your money's worth :)
I have had my original moneys worth years ago, and yet they still keep doing it. And I was willing to risk the huge additional sum to get the rest of the world maps (y). What I also like about Sygic is that you only need to download to your phone the maps you need. The rest are there when and if you need them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The GO50/500/5000 ends next year.

No more 6 hour map updates.
No more pointless software cock-ups updates.
What on earth can I do with that 6 hours....even watching paint dry is out, most paint is touch dry in 4 hours still leaving two hours.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

No more 6 hour map updates.
No more pointless software cock-ups updates.
What on earth can I do with that 6 hours....even watching paint dry is out, most paint is touch dry in 4 hours still leaving two hours.
I have never understood the time that TT took to update. When I update my Sygic maps it takes minutes for each country.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015

Can you tell me if apps like sygic have speed camera warnings, thanks in advance

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Gits. We've got two GO 5000s, bought not incredibly long ago. They'll be just about OK for another year beyond that I suppose, but then I reckon it'll be bye bye TomTom.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Not a happy bunny
So lifetime maps means until they cant be a****d to provide support
Unit currently works fine and will be used till it expires
Will go for different make or route when needed
Shame as I've always prefered TT for sat navs
I accept its a reducing market and TT dont seem to have diversified much.
Garmin are big into GPS for walking etc which I know you can also do on smart phones but their units and battery life are more robust than a smart phone

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can you tell me if apps like sygic have speed camera warnings, thanks in advance
Yes they do, the data for speed cameras is on the Tom Tom maps they use, so the same as the stand alone sat nav units that TomTom sell. Also the maps have speed limits shown and you can set it to warn you if you go over the speed limit. Having said that they are car, rather than motorhome, speed limits. You can also set it to warn of traffic ahead (if route is set), sharp bends, and railway crossings.

Edit. They won't warn you of cameras in countries where such warnings are illegal, e.g. in France.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Not a happy bunny
So lifetime maps means until they cant be a****d to provide support
Unit currently works fine and will be used till it expires
Will go for different make or route when needed
Shame as I've always prefered TT for sat navs
I accept its a reducing market and TT dont seem to have diversified much.
Garmin are big into GPS for walking etc which I know you can also do on smart phones but their units and battery life are more robust than a smart phone

Sorry another question. Does sygic use a lot of data when downloading maps ? We have had s couple of apps recommended but they gobble up data

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The reason they have stopped the updating as the units involved have an internal memory of 2gb and do not have the ability to add extra memory. As the maps on there newer models are much bigger now, in some cases nearly 7Gb supporting them is difficult even with the option to have the maps in segments.

The units will still work and I am sure many of them have not been updated for years.

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008

@pappajohn can you please advise where you got this information. These units have plenty of internal and additional memory available to meet the demands.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My old TT go ran out of its internal memory years ago. I just put in a 16Gb memory card and bags of room for the new updates and POIs. The reason for discontinuing support is obviously commercial and I shall not buy another TomTom.

I actually think the chinese cheapy is better anyway (though not necessarily robust or reliable).
I shall just stick an app on my phone. Co-pilot seems to have its problems though so not sure which one yet. Google maps is good and has voice control and is free so thats on it at the moment, but doesn't allow height/weight adjustments, unless anyone knows differently.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm still using a TT One 2nd ed which became obsolete 2 years ago. TT regularly contact me to offer me a new one at a reduced price, but we have Tom Baker's voice on ours which we really like and it's not transferable. However after a couple of duff directions in Italy last year I can see we will have to get a new satnav, but it won't be TT. I don't want to use a phone app as I like to see what I am doing!!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry another question. Does sygic use a lot of data when downloading maps ? We have had s couple of apps recommended but they gobble up data
Don't confuse this with apps like Google maps which are mainly based around downloading information when you need it. You download any or all of the maps you want to use onto your phone whenever you want. I do it when I am on free wifi at home. After that it uses no data for navigation, as all the data is on the phone. However, as with all units, it does use data if you turn on traffic information, but it is not very much.

I think you can download it for a free trial from the Play Store, also for Apple. At the moment they are offering all the world maps for £15 or all the world maps plus lifetime traffic for £20. That includes Head up display mode, where you lay the phone on the dashboard and it reflects all the info on the windscreen. They say those prices will end on the 31st, but they usually have offers like that most of the time. Have a look here for more info.

For an extra £6.49 they have a real view navigation. That works by using the camera on the back of the phone to show the actual real life view out of the front, on which they then superimpose the the route. I don't use it because my phone is not mounted in front of the windscreen, so not sure how accurate it is.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
. I don't want to use a phone app as I like to see what I am doing!!

Not sure what you mean by that. I suspect my phone has as big a screen as your TomTom does. And if you want a really big screen then you can get an Android tablet or iPad and put a sat nav app on it. Either can be mounted in the same position as a TomTom.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Those are the prices for European only maps. The world maps are a penny less than I quoted.

However, that is for the "car" version. If you want the Euro Camper one, with customizable size entry etc, it is almost £60 I believe.

Gordon

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
If anyone has got the TomTom Go Live 1005 Camper & Caravan, don’t worry, it’s still supported.

I emailed TT after seeing the Go Live 1005 on the list of devices no longer updated, they’ve confirmed the Camper version is still updated. (I’m not at all impressed with its routing but that’s another matter!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back