Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
On [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VWX6I8/ref=pe_186441_34575041_email_1p_0_ti"]TomTom Camper version[/ame] is available for around £300 now............ :thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I've read mixed reviews and I'm still sitting on the fence.

That and the new Fiat x2/50 cab has a socket to plug in a Tom Tom

fiat-500-twin-air-two-cylinder-car-review-25.jpg

and I don't think this will fit

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Ever since TomTom fell out with google maps and replaced them with chinese maps the validity of those maps has raised questions. I'm sticking with my old tomtom with out of date google maps. any map that puts the falkland islands off the cornish coast is I suspect about as much use as voice recognition on phones and likely to get you in as much trouble.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I think if i could download the MH icon used on it on to my Garmin Zumo that would do the same job .
I have all the campsite POI loaded on mine from previous links from on here, don`t need much else:thumb:
I have had 4 sat navs over the years , i won`t be buying anymore ,i just use the lifetime map upgrade on mine .
Also for a back up the gps on my phone works ok too :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ever since TomTom fell out with google maps and replaced them with chinese maps the validity of those maps has raised questions. I'm sticking with my old tomtom with out of date google maps. any map that puts the falkland islands off the cornish coast is I suspect about as much use as voice recognition on phones and likely to get you in as much trouble.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I thought that was Apple (iPhone), not TomTom.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
have I got it wrong again ? Ah well can't afford an upgrade anyway, thats my excuse

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I've read mixed reviews and I'm still sitting on the fence.

That and the new Fiat x2/50 cab has a socket to plug in a Tom Tom

fiat-500-twin-air-two-cylinder-car-review-25.jpg

and I don't think this will fit

I bought a tom tom for blue and me and took it straight back to fiat,All that socket does is 1) Hold the unit which i suppose is ok 2) powers the unit, which i suppose is pretty good (no wires). However its not fully integrated and the unit does not over ride the stereo . Even without the stereo off the volume is pretty poor. I spoke to both fiat and tom tom and both blame each other for design problems.At the end of the day its got to be fiats problem i would have thought.They did tell me there were no plans for an upgrade nor for a fix in the near future if at all. They didnt quibble regarding a refund so i assume they have had quite a few returns.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I have owned the Camper version since last September. I still own my old Tom-Tom and as regards Maps, the new one is far clearer and even though I have paid for all the updates on the old one it still shows a local crossroad as a roundabout, so I'm chuffed with the new one.

If I tell it I'm driving the motorhome it seems to increase the journey time by about 15-20%.

I've tested it on a route including a low bridge and it diverts me in the van but not in the car.

It's expensive but so far I would say, the best of the three I've owned.... Griff
:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Thanks Dave - I think I'll steer clear then!

Sounds like committees were involved in the planing of Blue & Me - hence an unmitigated failure :Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have been thinking of buying a sat nav for a while now, but usually resist because I haven't been abroad in the MH yet, and I am pretty conversant with UK roads, so didn't feel the need for one.

After reading this post and having a look at what the Tom Tom is capable of I thought that it now seemed like a good idea. So I had a quick google (other search engines are available ::bigsmile:) and found the Garmin DEZL 560LT Truck and Caravan sat nav. This has a MH facility built in, so you can switch between car, truck etc, like the Tom Tom.

They are both available from Halfords for roughly the same price, but the main difference for me is that there are no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates with the Garmin. It says that the Garmin has "free Lifetime Traffic updates, and is updated constantly".
The question that I have to ask is, does this mean that to update actual maps I would have to pay extra for that, say, once or twice a year ?

I think that the Tom Tom may be the more complete package for MH related info, but the subscription fees are a bit of a put off for me. Being a good Yorkshire lad, I like to keep my money just that. Mine.

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received, I can take it. :hardhat:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have been thinking of buying a sat nav for a while now, but usually resist because I haven't been abroad in the MH yet, and I am pretty conversant with UK roads, so didn't feel the need for one.

After reading this post and having a look at what the Tom Tom is capable of I thought that it now seemed like a good idea. So I had a quick google (other search engines are available ::bigsmile:) and found the Garmin DEZL 560LT Truck and Caravan sat nav. This has a MH facility built in, so you can switch between car, truck etc, like the Tom Tom.

They are both available from Halfords for roughly the same price, but the main difference for me is that there are no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates with the Garmin. It says that the Garmin has "free Lifetime Traffic updates, and is updated constantly".
The question that I have to ask is, does this mean that to update actual maps I would have to pay extra for that, say, once or twice a year ?

I think that the Tom Tom may be the more complete package for MH related info, but the subscription fees are a bit of a put off for me. Being a good Yorkshire lad, I like to keep my money just that. Mine.

I have a Garmin and updates are free, i have just updated mine and have ALL European maps.Just plug into computer and it tells you if there are any updates for your unit.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years

I think it's four free map upgrades each year. Allow a few hours on receipt to get latest uploads, especially if your broadband is slow.

The setup instructions were written by a techy, so do not exactly match what you actually needc to do, but its fairly intuitive and if in doubt re-boot everything sorted it.

Speed cameras are extra, Europe wide about £25 pa, the French option gets round the speed camera ID issue by warning of a danger zone or similar.

Switching between car and MH is easy.

PLEASE be aware any truck/ MH width setting is based on overall carriageway width, not available carriageway width where vehicles park, so not getting a width warning does not mean a road is wide enough to drive down.

Only had mine 2 days. Did a lot of review research first, many reviews are not objective and lack good evidence. In the end it came down to me that Garmin had the least really negative comments, and had free maps. On both the free maps is tied up with jargon concerning how many years you will get it for, unit life etc.. I reckon if I get 5 years it will have paid for itself.

Phone Bluetooth is better than a dedicated Bluetooth unit I have, so I will be using the sat nav from now on.

I looked at versions for iPad but could not get sufficient information on the bolt on GPS unit to be certain it would work. Also, SWMBO did not want to use it as its better used keeping grandchildren quiet on a journey.

We will still carry a good truckers map and do research for journeys we are not familiar with. It belt and braces for us.

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
ive just got a 7 inch truck version sat nav up to now is brilliant £75 ebay
just one slight problem it looks like they have programmed the speed signs in wrong it shows in kph even with all the settings been correct

kipsmum

Free Member
Nov 3, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Opinions on GPS

I've also been looking at buying a satnav for the motorhome for a while and have found the comments very interesting. Has anyone bought the satnav the Camping & Caravanning Club (a Garmin, I think) advertise as 'theirs'? It would be interesting to have a motorhomer's view on it. I assume it might be a little different in some way to other Garmin satnavs for motorhomes/caravans etc?? ... though I could be wrong in that assumption :winky:! Hubby died just before Christmas so I only have my collie (Kip) to travel with and to be honest, he's useless at navigation besides, he's usually asleep when I'm driving or is it that he is just keeping his eyes tightly shut?? :ROFLMAO:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have extensive experience of both a Garmin nuLink 1695 and several TomTom's, the latest being the Camper version discounted to me following a warranty claim.

First of all, the Garmin's routing was 'unusual' preferring country lanes running parallel to A roads despite setting the preferences correctly and some strange journeys through cities, such as Glasgow, despite setting a preference for motorways :Angry:

Secondly TomTom's Live traffic is fantastic and has successfully re-routed us many times. Garmin once routed us away from heavy congestion travelling south on the M6 near Wigan, into even worse congestion on the surrounding roads. It took us through long queues at lights and roundabouts. When we re-joined the motorway an hour later, we found ourselves behind a truck and trailer carrying a classic car. We had previously overtaken this vehicle near Kendal :Doh:

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
So would your first choice be the Tom Tom camper ? We are thinking of buying one
Have you used to in Europe ?

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have extensive experience of both a Garmin nuLink 1695 and several TomTom's, the latest being the Camper version discounted to me following a warranty claim.

First of all, the Garmin's routing was 'unusual' preferring country lanes running parallel to A roads despite setting the preferences correctly and some strange journeys through cities, such as Glasgow, despite setting a preference for motorways :Angry:

Secondly [HI]TomTom's Live traffic is fantastic[/HI] and has successfully re-routed us many times. Garmin once routed us away from heavy congestion travelling south on the M6 near Wigan, into even worse congestion on the surrounding roads. It took us through long queues at lights and roundabouts. When we re-joined the motorway an hour later, we found ourselves behind a truck and trailer carrying a classic car. We had previously overtaken this vehicle near Kendal :Doh:

We too have enjoyed 'Live' traffic updates, we have on several occasions also used the Google facility to get us out of the Poo.

I'm sure we are all convince that what we have purchased is the best, but I don't think the Garmin my son has loaned me is a patch on this TomTom Camper.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I've also been looking at buying a satnav for the motorhome for a while and have found the comments very interesting. [HI]Has anyone bought the satnav the Camping & Caravanning Club (a Garmin, I think) advertise as 'theirs'?[ It would be interesting to have a motorhomer's view on it. I assume it might be a little different in some way to other Garmin satnavs for motorhomes/caravans etc?? ... though I could be wrong in that assumption :winky:! Hubby died just before Christmas so I only have my collie (Kip) to travel with and to be honest, he's useless at navigation besides, he's usually asleep when I'm driving or is it that he is just keeping his eyes tightly shut?? :ROFLMAO:

Hi kipsmum.
The one advertised by C&CC is endorsed by them and it is the Garmin DEZL 560 LMT. It has exactly the same features and functions.
They have it priced for members about £25 cheaper than Halfords, but then you would have to add P&P, so if there is a Halfords near you it could be cheaper to go there.
I've never used one, but it is one I was looking at with a view to buying after comparing to others, and listening to comments on the FUN site, of course. ::bigsmile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

[HI]First of all, the Garmin's routing was 'unusual' preferring country lanes running parallel to A roads despite setting the preferences correctly and some strange journeys through cities, such as Glasgow, despite setting a preference for motorways :Angry:[/HI]

Secondly TomTom's Live traffic is fantastic and has successfully re-routed us many times. Garmin once routed us away from heavy congestion travelling south on the M6 near Wigan, into even worse congestion on the surrounding roads. It took us through long queues at lights and roundabouts. When we re-joined the motorway an hour later, we found ourselves behind a truck and trailer carrying a classic car. We had previously overtaken this vehicle near Kendal :Doh:
I use a Garmin Zumo with updated maps (same software nulink i belive) and i find the same--
Comming up to join a motorway ,sometimes it wants to take me down a parallel A or B road --Why ,when all the settings are of a 40t truck which should take me to the M Way?:Angry:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I have to agree with the negative remarks on the Garmin.I had the garmin nuvi 1490T which was great with the lane guidance and knew all the new roads,But..
It too took me on unecessary diversions,where I could see quite plainly the correct route off it went to a left turn and rejoining the route a couple miles down the road.The one I have just bought after also looking at all the truck/camper options is the Garmin 3590LMT,not a camper version ,its also great for split screen lane guidance and very quick on keeping you ontrack at roundabouts etc.But it still suffers with misguiding me off the correct route,in the same places the 1490 did,also it doesn,t know my local aldi,s is half a mile away from where it thinks it is.I,ve been using it regularly for work and its very good otherwise.Currently £228 at Halfords.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using our TomTom Camper sat nav for 6months or so now. It has guided us around the UK without any problems at all. It has also guided us down through France and into Spain directly to our campsite entrance here at Villasol, Benidorm without a hitch. As far as we are concerned we find it to be a great bit of kit and would recommend it to others.

Brisey.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, personally I would go for TomTom everytime.

Is the Camper version worth the extra cost? I thinks that's a personal choice. You can use an ordinary TomTom and read the road signs and check the Road Atlas, or you can rely more on the Camper version............but it's not infallible. It depends on the accuracy of the data on road widths, low bridges etc. supplied by Pierre, or Francoise in the local Canton and how much wine they had for lunch :winky:

Some will say that it's going to keep you on motorways and away from the scenic roads and that's true. But you can insert 'Vias' to ensure that you see the bits that you want en route.

I've used the TomTom in the UK, Ireland and on the continent. The Live traffic worked everywhere in all of these areas.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Help please

I've now looked at three that I am interested in and these are, in no particular order :

Garmin DEZL 560 LMT Camper.
Tom Tom Go Live Camper & Caravan
Snooper Ventura Pro S2500

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, good or bad, which you may think would be useful to help me make up my mind please.

Some of the pro's and con's are:
Garmin has C&CC data preprogrammed and free map updates for life. Doesn't have Aires, ACSI etc for continental touring.

Tom Tom is similar but you have to pay for map upgrades.

Snooper seems to have everything programmed in and has free map updates for life as a special offer. Also it is the cheapest of the lot.

Fire away chaps. ::bigsmile:

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Snooper Motorhome Satnav

We have a Ventura Pro S2000 Motorhome Satnav we have used all over Europe and the UK which we are selling, switching to Ipad and Tom Tom.

She is about 2 years old, we have never upgraded the maps but never felt we needed to, she has been great, as far West as Lisbon, East to Vienna and South to Rome, being nesh we try not to venture too far North so only Edinburgh that way.

At one point last year I ignored her instructions and followed the guide book to get to a site near Sospel in the Maritime Alps and she announced that she would not be able to guide us any further*, I ignored her and she stopped talking, we were in a biggish van and we were towing a trailer which we had programmed in, we laughed out loud when she made the announcement, it sounded as though she was going to pack her bags and leave. She never uttered another word until the following morning when she calculated a (different, far better) route to get us off site, normal relations were resumed and we get on fine again now!

*She was right, we grounded the trailer on several occasions and had a real (but eventually successful) struggle to get there. Notice how I ignored her advice but WE grounded the trailer..

We bought her with a magazine subscription to MMM for about £330, December 2010 but the only place you I can see them listed now is Amazon, I cannot get the Amazon direct hyperlink to work so try going to http://www.amazon.co.uk and searching Snooper Syrius S2000 Ventura 4.3" Sat Nav for Caravans with UK and Western Europe Maps.

She comes with mains and car charger, windscreen bracket, carry case, handbook and software DVD and we want £120 inc postage.

She works, weeds out the bridges and keeps you away from narrow roads (if you heed her warnings), she has stuff like warnings for tight corners, road narrowing etc and speed cameras of course. On the downside I think the sound quality is not as good as a Tom Tom or a Garmin but she is perfectly clear, that is not something going wrong by the way, just the way she is made, she has ACSI and a whole host of other campsites including a 'find one nearby' feature.

Good piece of kit but the Ipad has become a fixture on our travels and she is redundant so there you go.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back