Tom Tom sat nav upgrade to camper software (1 Viewer)

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
A class Concorde liner 89
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure this has been covered many times before however:
We have a World Tom Tom which goes with us everywhere and is brilliant. With the impending arrival of our concorde, yesterday I upgraded the software to the camper version.
This morning I have used the MyDrive system to plan a route having put in the size of the vehicle. I deliberately picked a destination in North Devon where I would definately have a big problem taking a 9mtr motorhome to see if it warned me that the route would not be passable. The system quite happily recommended an impossible route. I then changed the size of the vehicle up to a full sized artic to see if it restricted the route - again, it just let me go ahead and plan it without any restrictions.

The software upgrade cost was £74.95 and is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Make sure you select the right vehicle in the vehicle types section in settings. It's possible you are still in car mode and not campervan mode.

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Make sure you select the right vehicle in the vehicle types section in settings. It's possible you are still in car mode and not campervan mode.
Nope selected the motorhome icon. If it is set to car, you cannot input the size of the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If the road sizing information is not on the map data it will just send you down unsuitable roads, it looks like the destination you picked does not have the relevant information on the maps.

Is there a passable route with a detour that it should have recommended or was it an impossible task?

Martin

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
If the road sizing information is not on the map data it will just send you down unsuitable roads, it looks like the destination you picked does not have the relevant information on the maps.

Is there a passable route with a detour that it should have recommended or was it an impossible task?

Martin
Hi Martin, its a very tight route even with a detour. My concern is that I know where the road narrows coming out of a particular village it says its impassable for caravans and trucks on an official road sign. So if it cannot deal with that situation I just cannot see how I can trust it with anything. Just makes me wonder if the road suitability function is only limited to major routes and is therefore pretty useless.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
With the impending arrival of our concorde, The system quite happily recommended an impossible route. I then changed the size of the vehicle up to a full sized artic to see if it restricted the route - again, it just let me go ahead and plan it without any restrictions.
So I will do you a favour and take the Concorde off your hands as you obviously wont be able to make use of it now(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin, its a very tight route even with a detour. My concern is that I know where the road narrows coming out of a particular village it says its impassable for caravans and trucks on an official road sign. So if it cannot deal with that situation I just cannot see how I can trust it with anything. Just makes me wonder if the road suitability function is only limited to major routes and is therefore pretty useless.

Hi Peter

I dont think its good to ever trust these things too much, I have and I know where it has taken us:LOL:

If you want to give me the two post codes I will try the route in my CoPilot which again is supposed to route on suitable routes.

Martin

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Peter

I dont think its good to ever trust these things too much, I have and I know where it has taken us:LOL:

If you want to give me the two post codes I will try the route in my CoPilot which again is supposed to route on suitable routes.

Martin
Hi Martin, I agree - I was just having a Sunday morning poke about. The route was:
Towcester
Croyde
Putsborough Sands.

The road from Croyde to Putsborough, even with a detour via Georgeham is incredibly tight - its like driving into an ever narrowing funnel!. I have driven it several times. The rest of the route is absolutely fine. Thanks, Pete

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi Peter

I purchased a new TomTom 6000 with a view to installing the camper software I had used for a few years on my TomTom Live Camper edition which had a cracked screen.
It seems TomTom do not allow this as the software running on the 6000 cannot accept vehicle dimensions.
After a few attempts with TomTom to find a solution
I gave up and reverted to my original TomTom, had it repaired and updated the software. All working fine and in 20,000 miles has never led me astray.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If I set the route in CoPilot for a car it gives two option one going around the coast to Croyde and then Putsborough and the other through/around Georgeham but if I change the spec to caravan it does not give the the Georgeham option only the one around the coast and Croyde.

IMG_0317.PNG

Martin

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
If I set the route in CoPilot for a car it gives two option one going around the coast to Croyde and then Putsborough and the other through/around Georgeham but if I change the spec to caravan it does not give the the Georgeham option only the one around the coast and Croyde.

View attachment 148692

Martin
Interesting. Don't try that route in your Flair would be my advice :D Thanks for trying it out, Pete

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have 3 tom toms one each and one for the bike, none of them are compatible with the update, which Tomtom do you have?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Peter

I have just tried the route on the latest Garmin camper and it recommends a route without any comment about access problems. However when I got it to simulate the route from the centre of Croyde when it got to the junction towards the final destination, which is by a garage, it then it warned me that Motorhome/Caravan Access was unknown for the road ahead but still continued to travel along the route. So it would seem that the first I would know there is a problem is when i get to that junction. Is it the same on the Tomtom?

Doug

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Scotzsue

The tomtom website list the units the map is suitable for. I know it will work on a Tomtom 120 and that it will recommend different routes for Cars and Motorhomes depending on the roads involved. I don't know when in your journey it will warn you the route ahead is likely to be a problem.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Peter S
Using Garmin Basecamp with a motorhome profile this returns a route from Towcester via Mullacot \ Pickwell \ Putsburgh bypassing Georgeham and Croyde.
Been on that route with a c42' car \ caravan up to Mortehoe Station Road (heading to Damage Barton) and it was fine. Don't know what it's like thereafter to Putsburgh but Google shows it as "reasonably" straight but narrow (a couple of tight bends though).
I've attached the route detail from Mullacot to Putsburgh below.
Is it OK or a "life in your hands" option?:eek: Be interested to know.

Attachments

• Mullacot - Putsburgh.pdf
    349.9 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
@Peter S
Using Garmin Basecamp with a motorhome profile this returns a route from Towcester via Mullacot \ Pickwell \ Putsburgh bypassing Georgeham and Croyde.
Been on that route with a c42' car \ caravan up to Mortehoe Station Road (heading to Damage Barton) and it was fine. Don't know what it's like thereafter to Putsburgh but Google shows it as "reasonably" straight but narrow (a couple of tight bends though).
I've attached the route detail from Mullacot to Putsburgh below.
Is it OK or a "life in your hands" option?:eek: Be interested to know.
Thanks for that.
The road from Georgeham all the way to Putsburgh is single track. Something comes the other way, even with passing places you are in deep do - do.

Interesting how the garmin takes a different route though.

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Demand your money back.......good luck with that. :whistle:
Going to try tomorrow - see little point in having it if it does not do the job.

I have tried planning another route local to me to see if it routed me around another very tight spot and it does'nt so its utterly pointless.

OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Peter

I have just tried the route on the latest Garmin camper and it recommends a route without any comment about access problems. However when I got it to simulate the route from the centre of Croyde when it got to the junction towards the final destination, which is by a garage, it then it warned me that Motorhome/Caravan Access was unknown for the road ahead but still continued to travel along the route. So it would seem that the first I would know there is a problem is when i get to that junction. Is it the same on the Tomtom?

Doug
Hi Doug, I have not tried the simulation. However, where your garmin has done has stopped you is exactly where the problem starts, right near that garage so at least it did that. Thanks, Pete

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for that.
The road from Georgeham all the way to Putsburgh is single track. Something comes the other way, even with passing places you are in deep do - do.

Interesting how the garmin takes a different route though.

Agreed, it's all single track roads down to Putsburgh Beach. Think BaseCamp has picked the best of a "difficult" bunch though as the others all appear to be more twisty and it keeps you out of the village of Georgeham.
Looks like sat nav may work on the principle if that's the only way well that's it rather than saying "not a hope in he**"!:eek:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Peter S

I have tried the simulation on a Tomtom and it does not issue a warning.

I would say that I have had problems with the Garmins routing, probably more so than a Tomtom. For example directing into a deadend alleyway behind some houses going to the Moffat Campsite or directing into a layby, where access is denied, and then asking you to exit the layby turning right across a four lane road. The latter ignores the fact you can drive 70yrds further and use a roundabout to take you in the direction you want.

Others have advocated that they have a system that never lets them down such as Here maps, In this case when asked to say what route that would offer the resulting First Choice recommendation was a route I would only take our Toyota Aygo along if all other roads were closed.

Regretably there does not appear to be a perfect system and when problems occur it varies from make to make. I find that generally these units are a boon making life a lot easier but accept that very very occassionally I may have to make my own decisions if I am not happy with the sugestions they are making.

Doug

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've tried a lot of so called truck satnavs at one time or another especially when we had RVs and honestly never found one that was any good probably the worst being the most expensive Snooper.
Although we no longer have RVs our Hymer is a 5 tonne tag and 7.5 mts so not massive but still largish. We now use Copilot set on RV and common sense, the days of blindly following sat navs are behind us and we always have maps on board.
Personally of all the sat navs we tried Garmin was way better than any other but CoPilot is better than them all although I'm struggling with the new update, why can't they leave it alone.:swear2:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Forestboy

I downloaded Copilot and understand your comment re the latset update.

If you use Copilot in RV mode and seek a route between Borough Green and Longfield Centre it takes you via Ash which involves narrow country roads with passing places in one section. Tomtom and Garmin take you via the A227 and B260 which is the best way to go with an RV although the Garmin ignores the B260 turning and takes you through a shopping area before returning to the turning. Also on Copilot if you change the destination to Longfield Hill it goes via the A227 and B260 but ignores the B260 turning and takes you via Mellicker Lane which is a narrow single track bit of road before joining the B260.

As I said they are all likely to have the odd problem and this is concerning when you are in an area you don't know , which is what you use them for. When you can see some of the silly things in areas you do know it does little to give you confidence.

Doug

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Forestboy

I downloaded Copilot and understand your comment re the latset update.

If you use Copilot in RV mode and seek a route between Borough Green and Longfield Centre it takes you via Ash which involves narrow country roads with passing places in one section. Tomtom and Garmin take you via the A227 and B260 which is the best way to go with an RV although the Garmin ignores the B260 turning and takes you through a shopping area before returning to the turning. Also on Copilot if you change the destination to Longfield Hill it goes via the A227 and B260 but ignores the B260 turning and takes you via Mellicker Lane which is a narrow single track bit of road before joining the B260.

As I said they are all likely to have the odd problem and this is concerning when you are in an area you don't know , which is what you use them for. When you can see some of the silly things in areas you do know it does little to give you confidence.

Doug
Well I now know what part of the country you line in!

Reactions: DJA
OP
OP
Peter S

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
Exp