LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi I have after loads of diliberation and listening to all the advice bought meself a tomtom v4 europe. All I wanted it for was simple, to put all the aires and filling stations with lpg on. now I can find some filles but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the things on to my tomtom.
Can anyone please point me in the direction of a simple to use guide or offer some help before my new tom tom goes for a trip out of my bedroom window.:Sad::Sad:

M

michaelc

Deleted User
in answer,

Hi, placing poi onto a tom tom is not that hard,
1st connect tomtom to the pc and make sure that the pc sees tom tom, (tomtom home will start but you don,t need this software.)
go to the site that holds the poi you wish to download.
download the poi, at this point it should ask you to what location you wish to download.(
many poi files are zip files for which you will need some software on your PC) (zip file software if needed can also be downloaded for free, just google zip file software and download)
OK, so the poi is downloaded onto your PC, you then need to transfer this to your tomtom.
if this is a zip file the zip file software will have a section that asks if you wish to open and send to a folder, the answer is yes and then send to tomtom poi folder.
I have a tomtom910 which has its own hard drive and maybe easier. but most are the same.
if I can be anymore help I will try to be.
michael

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if your having problems, and assuming you have the POI's on you computer, connect the tomtom to your computer but don't use tomtom home, just go to "my computer" and you should see it under "Devices with removable storage" it won't say tomtom, just something like Removable disk click on it an then you should see a load of folders, one of which will say "Western Europe"

Now navigate to where you have your POI's on your computer, resize screens so you can see both the POI's and the tomtom, left click and drag your POI's into the "western Europe" folder, you must drag both the ov2 file and the bmp file to go with it and they must have the same name ie. aires2.ov2 aires2.bmp

And that's it, disconnect the tomtom fire it up, touch the centre of the screen, then preferences, then show POI and make sure you have a tick next to the POI's you want to appear on the map screen. Untick any you don't as too many POI's slow the tomtom down.

This a applies to "classic" models, yours should be the same or similar.

Olley

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok all,
Thank you so much for your help so far. I am now able to have ozzy osbourne and homer simpson leading the way. I have done as Olley says. I can find the pois on my pc after download, And I have then put them in to my tom tom pois and westen europe but there appears no way of finding them on the tom tom? why is this? for example if i put calais, then campgrounds it shows 2 campsites but none are the calais aire?
does any of this make sense?

M

michaelc

Deleted User
in answer,

Hi, what folder in tomtom did you download the files, have you set up your tomtom to show ALL pois.
if the above does not work, check to make sure that you have downloaded the correct poi to tomtom by reading the content from your PC.
You, may need to download again the poi on to tomtom place the download into the poi files. this should then allow you to view them.
michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This caught me out,

I went mad at first adding POIs.. couldn't understand why I couldn't see them all.
Then I discovered you can add as many POI categories as you like but TT will only show 100, you may need to delete ones of no interest..

This may seem a lot but if you add the low bridges set (bridgeX ), there is a POI catagory for every 3" of height from about 9 ft to 15 ft .. :Doh: that's ~ 24 already ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
thanks jim,
would you know how to delete the things i dont want.? when i go in to pois on the pc I cant see any of the categories.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
just to sa thanks for all your input. I have now worked it all out i think. As said, easy when you know how.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Just to add to the advice given make sure you make a backup of your files.

adding files in the wrong places can corrupt the system making your tom tom useless, this can be acheived by copying all the files on your TT SD/drive to your computer or using the facility in TT home

Regards

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
An even simpler way I use for these.

Just pop the SD card out of the TomTom and stick it in a card reader on your PC or printer and copy the files into The Western Europe Directory. You can remove them the same way.
You can also back everything up this way as well.
I started doing it this way when I mislaid the adaptor to connect to the PC but its actually a lot simpler.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back