Toll Roads v Non Toll Roads (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
One of the main reasons for using non toll roads in France is lunch.

A choice between Autoroute cafeteria food or a roadside relais for the set 3 course lunch at 10 - 13euros. No contest !

You could always use autoroutes until lunch time, set the SatNav to avoid Motorways and look for a Relais with lots of lorries in the car park. LGV drivers know all the best stopovers.

Enjoy the journey either way.

Unless they happen to be serving Andoulette (spelling might be approximate) WTF are they all about, fancy sausage my A**e

David

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
:ROFLMAO:

I did my maths in 2011.
We had only little time and the goal was to stay as long in the north/east of Spain as possible

€302.79 fastest
€254.35
€247.39
€188.05 cheapest

Math included everything and we decided to the fastest route because we only had little time :cry:

the most expensive was toll roads and 1.400 km driving

Paul and Ineke

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
As an example of using toll roads or not I've looked at Calais to Bordeaux using Via Michelin maps.

Using the toll roads takes 8 hours 40 minutes, costs €75 in tolls and covers 541 miles.

Using a non toll route takes 11 hours and 30 minutes and covers surprisingly less mileage at 510 miles.

Both journeys cost about the same in fuel

So around 3 hours shorter to Bordeaux but €75 extra out of your pocket using tolls.

A longer journey time, remember the hard work negotiating the half a dozen roundabouts on the edges of every town you pass through or round, but a good saving to buy a few litres of liquid refreshment or a decent evening meal for the family.

Probably boils down to whether you're in a hurry to get from A to B, remember you're usually on holiday and not on in a race, and/or if you're a tight b*stard like me.

We use tolls to get that extra hundred miles or so nearer the sun at the start of the holiday but rarely bother after the first day or so.

And seeing the 'real' France is why we go abroad – I can see mile after mile of tarmac whizzing beneath the tyres at speed in this country and find I'm considerably more relaxed when in France.

Horses for courses! – as we say here up north.

Try your own route planning and see what difference there is in cost and time – www.viamichelin.co.uk

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As an example of using toll roads or not I've looked at Calais to Bordeaux using Via Michelin maps.

Using the toll roads takes 8 hours 40 minutes, costs €75 in tolls and covers 541 miles.

Using a non toll route takes 11 hours and 30 minutes and covers surprisingly less mileage at 510 miles.

Both journeys cost about the same in fuel

So around 3 hours shorter to Bordeaux but €75 extra out of your pocket using tolls.

I suggest you look at that again! The toll fare for a motorhome is around €117.0

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
the biggest bit is between tours and le mans at just over 50 euro's, what is the best way to bypass this, i am happy to pay the rest for the speed and convenience, but would like to find a good route to miss this one stage out.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Unless they happen to be serving Andoulette (spelling might be approximate) WTF are they all about, fancy sausage my A**e

David

David ....I totally agree with you....Andouilette .......they are not to our taste either, that is for sure, all sorts of innards inside:Doh:.
Andouillette is a coarse-grained sausage made with pork :Doh:(or occasionally veal):Doh: more innards than meat... intestines or chitterlings, pepper, wine, onions, and seasonings. Tripe, which are the ‎Ingredients

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
the biggest bit is between tours and le mans at just over 50 euro's, what is the best way to bypass this, i am happy to pay the rest for the speed and convenience, but would like to find a good route to miss this one stage out.
Suggest you open the link I posted earlier on.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Philippft - I suggest you look at that again! The toll fare for a motorhome is around €117.0

I stand corrected.

Two decent meals instead of one?

Even more reason to miss the Toll roads!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Usually we programme into tom-tom route from A to B and go whatever it comes up with..

Most of the time it takes us on toll roads.. ::bigsmile:

I know exactly what you mean. However, I quite often check TomTom 'with' AND 'without' tolls, to check the difference.

Sometimes, TomTom will route via a toll motorway for the quickest time, but on occasion I've found the mileage required is 20%-25% more than the non-toll route, and the time saving on the toll is less than say 5 minutes on a hundered-mile journey. Often doesn't make sense to cover all the extra miles + pay the toll to save just a few minutes.

We certainly like to mix and match - sometimes get bored on the motorway; and other times get fed up with the ordinary roads: stop-start, lots of roundabouts and speed limits changing up and down all the time.

If we're trying to cover a lot of distance ie getting to the South of France, we make the most of the free motorways, as I'm sure many others do too. :thumb:

Mike

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
we tend to the use them quite a bit...but then were on a 2 week timeframe for our trips:Sad:

calais to avignon (ish) in a day....yup toll road for me:thumb: otherwise id loose 2-3days to getting to the sun and keeping her ladyship happy

however if we had more time.....then possibly not::bigsmile:

Dieppe to Beziers, only toll Millau bridge, about 12 hrs steady via Rouen,, Orleons, Clermont, Millau. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Philippft - I suggest you look at that again! The toll fare for a motorhome is around €117.0

I stand corrected.

Two decent meals instead of one?

Even more reason to miss the Toll roads!

I agree, well to a point ! Using toll roads from Calais to Bordeaux is very expensive, but if you use the N10 route and a couple of short toll sections to get through large towns you can travel most of the journey by motorway and due carriageway and only a few euros.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back