Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone ever been charged at a toll on first entering a motorway. We got on a motorway this morning where there was no ticket machine just a credit card machine, we are towing a small trailer and heavy queue of traffic behind so no way could I reverse out, so put my credit card in up shoots the barrier and I climb aboard and start driving off. Pat says that was dear 90Euros I was gob smacked, anyway a few miles on there were more toll booths with the standard ticket machine, so for our 90 Euro we only got a few miles down the motorway. Biggest mistake not getting a reciept so that I could question this payment, first time using tolls and the last.
By the way where we got on the motorway their was a lot of works been done widening and resurfacing.

John.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Seems strange that I would get in touch with the operators as soon as you can and challenge it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We had a few like that as we came back into France from the Mont Blanc tunnel but they were only for smallish amounts, about 5 euros or so. I would agree that a call to your cc company is worth it - you might get a pleasant surprise and find it was only(?) 9 euros?

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Which toll road and booth?

Perhaps someone else on here has used it recently and can throw more light your problem.

We stopped on the aire Villians Les Rochers north of Poitiers, set Sat nav for Dunkirk this morning and a few miles to the motorway A10 E5.

John.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We had a few like that as we came back into France from the Mont Blanc tunnel but they were only for smallish amounts, about 5 euros or so. I would agree that a call to your cc company is worth it - you might get a pleasant surprise and find it was only(?) 9 euros?

Hopefully KE.

John.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We seen a few of the "pre-payment" road tolls in France, but they are usually only a few Euros and we always pay cash on them.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We seen a few of the "pre-payment" road tolls in France, but they are usually only a few Euros and we always pay cash on them.

Ditto... Like near Rouen and one at Tours.. Few euros 1 -3 max....
Something very wrong there...

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hope that was 0€90c because that sounds like class 4 HGV toll

We don't have this problem as I NEVER drive into a card tool on purpose and this year when we booked our Eurotunnel crossing there was an offer to get the tag to use the Libere T system we now just drive through the open Libere T toll labelled 30 (for 30kmph ) the tag beeps and the barrier lifts and most of the time we never go below 30kmph think this year we only had to stop twice in 2000 miles

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hope that was 0€90c because that sounds like class 4 HGV toll

We don't have this problem as I NEVER drive into a card tool on purpose and this year when we booked our Eurotunnel crossing there was an offer to get the tag to use the Libere T system we now just drive through the open Libere T toll labelled 30 (for 30kmph ) the tag beeps and the barrier lifts and most of the time we never go below 30kmph think this year we only had to stop twice in 2000 miles
same here Graham ,toll tag all the time for me..

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
You may have been charged more for the trailer. We don't use tolls anymore but when we did with the trailer we were classed as an artic.

Shawn

Sep 23, 2014
weston s mare
Funster No
MH
frankia A class
Exp
We were in France in September this year and like the op we came to a toll booth lots of traffic and unable to see how to do anything but put your credit card in, no receipt when it came through on my statement it was £ 86.40
we have a 9mtr van and was pulling a little car. From then on when we got to toll we checked on "class" and it always came up as class 4 so push the communication button and say camping car and it was changed to class 2
which was half the price, quite an expensive lesson !!

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
There is, of course, one blindingly easy way to avoid the pitfalls of motorway tolls - do as we do and drive on the A roads instead. If time is of the essence then the motorways are obviously a necessity but we have discovered some lovely places, restaurants, little village aires etc during our unhurried meanderings through the Continental countryside. Much more relaxing than belting down the motorway.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We use the tolls if we want to get somewhere quicker, otherwise it's the A roads through the little villages etc. Sometimes very interesting in a 9 metre motorhome especially if there is a diversion, which there was the other day. All good fun as they say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back