Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi all.
Going to the lakes next week and just wanted a heads up on the toll roads. I have just got a tag for France, as my wife always struggles with the ticket and payment process, I then need to get out and operate it.
Are they the same as the French ones?
If opt for non-toll roads, are they still good roads?
Any advice to make it an easier process is welcomed.

Thanks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some of the non-toll roads in Italy are terrible, no other word for it. :) You can get a Telepass for the toll roads but you won't have time now. I started another thread about them in this section but it hasn't generated any responses so I guess there isn't much experience of them.

It is much more convenient to pay by card. At the start of a toll section you collect a ticket - this is where it gets tricky as the ticket will probably come out if the upper dispensing slot, requiring a stretch from our PVC.

When you come to PAY, pull up opposite the ticket machine, it won't come to life unless it senses you.

I now get out and pay by card. Put the ticket in the slot then put your card in the same slot, when the led lights go green pull the card OUT. No pin required.

You might find a manned booth but the other day there were huge queues for these at one spot so we chose the empty "carte" lane and sailed through.

I do plan to get a Telepass next time we head to Italy.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks thanks for info DBK. We are currently in Italy and have done toll and non-toll road, both are a pain. We have been lucky so far and found manned booth. Got in a pickle at the start of one toll, saw those in front putting something in and barrier opening. I tried putting my pre-paid card with no joy, then my debit card still no luck, pressing for assistance but only got pre-recorded message. The cue behind way growing, in the end the barrier opened, I think this was just let avoid the build up behind me. I assume this was the type you mentioned, but never got the timing right. Still got to get to lake Como and then back to Switzerland. Will get the telecasts next time. Fortunately we have found a lovely spot on Lake Iseo, which is easing the pain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Thanks thanks for info DBK. We are currently in Italy and have done toll and non-toll road, both are a pain. We have been lucky so far and found manned booth. Got in a pickle at the start of one toll, saw those in front putting something in and barrier opening. I tried putting my pre-paid card with no joy, then my debit card still no luck, pressing for assistance but only got pre-recorded message. The cue behind way growing, in the end the barrier opened, I think this was just let avoid the build up behind me. I assume this was the type you mentioned, but never got the timing right. Still got to get to lake Como and then back to Switzerland. Will get the telecasts next time. Fortunately we have found a lovely spot on Lake Iseo, which is easing the pain.
This happen the first time we used tolls in Italy, when we arrived home there was 60 Euro taken from our CC account, there's a big red button to press to get a ticket but it's easy to miss when your under pressure. This year we took our time and didn't worry about a que building up behind us, if you have a problem they will send someone, eventually, to help, better than than 60 Euros. :)

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
We was okay then there is a red button, it's when there is no red button, we may have got in the wrong line.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
I'm off to Italy in a couple of weeks, was intending to avoid tolls, to see a little more of the countryside....are the old routes really that bad, I've got loads of time.
Steph

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
I have just travelled from Lake Iseo to Lake Como on non-toll roads, the road surface is terrible. Just have to grin and bear it, at least the tunnels are a better surface. It's just what is, unless I've been unlucky traveling only in the north, may be they are better further south. Enjoy your trip.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When we hit our first Italian toll booth in June, I got the ticket and there was a section along the bottom with 3 requests to fill in. I worked out one was for a signature but couldn't weigh the other two up. I started to flap a bit, thinking we would need to have it filled in before the next toll then realised if you were the only person in the vehicle, it would hardly be practicable to fill it in whilst driving ! The way your head works when you're in a strange place and putting yourself under pressure eh ? :LOL:

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
We are just back from the Italian Lakes, really a fantastic place.
We travelled 2500km return trip across France and Italy. But decided not to use the Toll Roads or Toll Tunnels.
Had a great trip, but can confirm some of the roads are in a terrible condition in Italy. Rattles the pots and pans!!
Used the Aires crossing France, had no problems even in August with space.
We traveled from The Hautes Pyrenees in the SW of France.
Always try to avoid the tolls if we can, checked on Via Micheline and the cost was 150€ each way on the tolls !! Ouch!!
That buys a lot of nice red wine!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm off to Italy in a couple of weeks, was intending to avoid tolls, to see a little more of the countryside....are the old routes really that bad, I've got loads of time.
Steph
I think the roads vary. Some of the autostradas in the north west near the coast are very old with two narrow lanes, sharp bends and a bumpy surface. But if the alternative is driving along the Italian Riviera coast road unless you have a LOT of time consider the autostrada, even with its limitations. :) But you have to try the coast road once. Until you've had scooters simultaneously overtaking you on both sides with cars shooting out of side streets you can't claim to have experienced Italian driving. :)
We spent a while on a coast road in Sicily today but got bored after a while. Very slow and we could see the same views from the autostrada which ran parallel with the coast road. It was only €1.80 for 48km - and we didn't have a ticket :) when we came to pay - the sole machine at our entry point was broken but I pressed the assistance button and explained where we had got on and all was sorted. :)

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
I agree that the roads vary. I used the toll roads from Lake Como via Milan and Turin, then across French boarder. The road's, toll's and tunnels were all of a good standard and a pleasure to drive on. Found the charges reasonably, only used manned booths.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
A friend told me the police stopped her from travelling along the Amalfi coast road in her MH because it's so busy with coaches. She was only allowed to use it after 9pm, that was in May. Can I expect the same in October, has anyone experiences similar restrictions?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A friend told me the police stopped her from travelling along the Amalfi coast road in her MH because it's so busy with coaches. She was only allowed to use it after 9pm, that was in May. Can I expect the same in October, has anyone experiences similar restrictions?
According to what I've read there are restrictions in "the season" but I don't know what the dates are. However, I think you could encounter a tour bus at any time of the year. Sicily is stuffed with them at the moment. So practise your reversing before going. :)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have just used the Telepass system ( from Tolltickets Germany) and can recommend this form of payment for the tolls in Italy so convenient we will be using them next year.

Jul 30, 2013
Normanton, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2010@
How long does it take to get a Telepass for toll payment. We’re off to Italy at the end of August via Germany and Austria?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This all makes our 900 miles drive from Poland to Dunkirk sound so easy. Only 'motorway toll' is in Poland and is about £3+ for 100km paid cash. The rest is free, the roads generally very good except bits of Belgium, and some traffic around Dresden and bit worse around Antwerpen, unless you get the timing right.

We are supposed to be going to Italy next year. I had better re-read this thread, but our route will be from Poland, Austria(non-'Go Box') and down to Tuscany. I do not know how that fits in with the info on here.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back