JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Decided to go walk the dog in the New Forest national park earlier, then had some food at a pretty little pic nic area, and Mr plod turns up telling me I'm not allowed to camp here, I wouldn't mind I wasn't even in the motorhome I was in my daily transporter, no pop top up, no chairs or tables out, just the dogs water bowl. Go home he says, the New Forest is closed, camp sites are closed too so don't bother trying, then gets pretty close to hand me a no camping leaflet, unbelievable. Apparently there are 7 forestry commission wardens and 4 police cars moving all camper and motorhomes on. Little heads up for anyone thinking about it. And yes I was going to sleep there 😂

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Are the campsites closed ?
I thought most things were reopening this week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be grateful you were told to leave 'politely' ... we got egged by local yobs once!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I walked the dogs past The Hare and Hounds, Sway today. Men who are showing people to their tables stopped for a chat. Businesses are not happy with Camping in the Forest sites being closed, apparently there’s been some local action trying to make them open.
There have been a lot of fires caused by people using disposable bbqs and leaving them still lit, so I suppose the police are trying to avoid that. Plus there are no toilets of course and not all vans have their own facilities.
I only have a small parking area not big enough for a Moho, just big enough for a PVC I think so if anyone is stuck for a night or two, they’re welcome here.

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Be grateful you were told to leave 'politely' ... we got egged by local yobs once!
Could be worse, my mate had dog mess smudged under his camper door handles recently, smelly fingers for ages lol.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
According to the police all the campsites in the New Forest are staying closed this year?? And there is definitely no wild camping allowed.
It's only the forestry sites that are closed, there are others open.

Had alot of nice meals in the Hare & Hounds over the years, happy times😊
Have you moved locally Hollyberry ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We love staying at Setthorns CIF site & cycling through the Forrest trails down into Sway to the Hare & Hounds, love the food there and the ambience in the summer. There is also a handy little grocer shop & Butchers in Sway Village that we frequent.
Yes like many on here that had booked on The Camping In the Forrest sites, they informed us only last week having taken full payment from some, that they were staying closed for the rest of the year. BIG Disappointment to all in the way they handled the announcement.
There are other sites & CL/CS open if you look for them, as others have found and booked for August.
We are in no rush, we will wait, let the dust settle a bit, then decide whether to head North or South or even South West which I think will be harder especially during the school holidays.
Good luck & best wishes to all that do go away.
PS: Lovely offer from Hollyberry, wish we had a smaller van, we could then meet our daily quiz setter in the flesh, but no doubt will one day, hopefully soon.(y):giggle:
Les & TinaL

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I walked the dogs past The Hare and Hounds, Sway today. Men who are showing people to their tables stopped for a chat. Businesses are not happy with Camping in the Forest sites being closed, apparently there’s been some local action trying to make them open.
There have been a lot of fires caused by people using disposable bbqs and leaving them still lit, so I suppose the police are trying to avoid that. Plus there are no toilets of course and not all vans have their own facilities.
I only have a small parking area not big enough for a Moho, just big enough for a PVC I think so if anyone is stuck for a night or two, they’re welcome here.
Aww bless you, that's a very kind offer, I would have taken you up on that if I hadn't driven so far away when the police moved us on. I'm sure there will be quite a few moved on over the next few days though.

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're moving into the van tomorrow, couple nights local, then 6 days spilt on 2 sites in the New Forest. Luckily didn't book a forestry site. Does seem very Political that they've closed the forestry sites for this year. Especially after all the local businesses, they've been hit so hard over the first half of the season.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Is there a reason why this area is still shut? Is it still very high infection rate or something?

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Is there a reason why this area is still shut? Is it still very high infection rate or something?
Just being cautious would be my guess, there were 3 other campers in the picnic site and around 30ft+ between each of us, we were all minding our business, no one had bbq,s or fires, just enjoying the outdoors for the first time in ages so I personally don't see the issue.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t think it is anything to do with the infection rate and CIF have closed all their sites, not just the ones in the New Forest. It was a very late decision and I suspect that they panicked when popular areas like the NF and Bournemouth beach got overwhelmed by irresponsible trippers. Perhaps they had difficulty complying with Government guidelines. I think they need to release a statement saying why they did this at the last minute having continued to accept bookings until a few days before Motorhome Independence Day.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wonder if it’s anything to do with the horrendous fires at Wareham forest about a month ago. A friend of ours who is the chief of the Sherborne volunteers spent a whole week down there and much of the following week. I can’t imagine they want similar happening.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Their sites aren’t so regimented, not so not easy to police people maintaining safe distances. People have been leaving disposable BBQs as well.
And with the events of Wareham Forest and the local beaches I think they had a last minute change of heart.
As a local to the Forest I don’t blame them. We’ll miss them too as we use them a lot.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just being cautious would be my guess, there were 3 other campers in the picnic site and around 30ft+ between each of us, we were all minding our business, no one had bbq,s or fires, just enjoying the outdoors for the first time in ages so I personally don't see the issue.
You have never been allowed to overnight in New Forest car parks/picnic areas, the wardens take delight in moving you on in the middle of the night.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
And next week there will be 6 and then 12 and before you know it the park will be heaving

OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
And next week there will be 6 and then 12 and before you know it the park will be heaving
It's an over populated world we live in, I'm only here once and intend on making the most of it and after being locked down for months I want to enjoy some of the summer like everyone. I'm respectful of people and wildlife so like I said I don't see the issue. If there had been 6 or even 12 I wouldn't even have stopped for a dog walk. We can't not visit places out of fear that there might be too many people doing the same.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
“We can't not visit places out of fear that there might be too many people doing the same.”

But isn’t that exactly what has happened at some these beauty spots around the Country. Wild Camping is not usually a big issue in the New Forest, so why are people suddenly thinking it’s acceptable. And just because some of the sites have decided not to open, isn’t justification to Wild Camp. It’s a National Park and the rules should be respected.
We’ve avoided all the places we would normally go to for this very reason, will let things settle down a bit more and let everyone get it out of their system.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Knowing of the dreadful and dangerous behavior of a minority of the New Forest residents towards tourists in general and cyclists in particular, there is a very vocal group who want to see the New Forest revert back to being a private estate

They really don't want 'outsiders' coming in, and if there was a way they could close all the tourist facilities, then they would be very happy to do it.

Slightly out of date, but here is an example of the New Forest locals thoughts on tourism and cyclists
here

They even have a New Forest 'Defense' group
Today's tweet, "Wild camping is a danger to horses".
Who knew ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
“We can't not visit places out of fear that there might be too many people doing the same.”

But isn’t that exactly what has happened at some these beauty spots around the Country. Wild Camping is not usually a big issue in the New Forest, so why are people suddenly thinking it’s acceptable. And just because some of the sites have decided not to open, isn’t justification to Wild Camp. It’s a National Park and the rules should be respected.
We’ve avoided all the places we would normally go to for this very reason, will let things settle down a bit more and let everyone get it out of their system.
I never have stayed at campsites through agro with drunks and kids and loud music in the past and my motors are worth too much to let a frisbee or ball hit it. Wild camping is not new to me and I personally feel even safer wild camping due to the virus.
As far as letting everything settle down, you could be waiting an awful long time, just my opinion.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Its not just campers unwelcome, we live in The Forest and have walked our dogs there for 60+ years. Now we can't park as many car parks are locked closed. Our favourite spot, Denny Wood is locked, recently dragon toothed and ditched.
This of course overloads what is left so Forestry Commission can sat the Forest is overrun.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Camping in the Forest (uses Forestry Commision sites leased to the Camping and Caravan Club as operators, technically a partnership arrangement) operate New Forest sites totalling around 3000 pitches. A fortnight ago, just as Boris gave the greenlight for sites to open, CITF pulled the plug and cancelled everything, not just in New Forest but also sites elsewhere in England and Scotland. Their website claims this was due to their concerns that their sites were open space where punters choose where to pitch and they were also concerned about maintaining cleansing. There are other threads here where I have expressed my views. Whatever pressure might now be brought for a review of opening it isn't going to happen as CITF will made staff redundant.

Only CITF sites are closed. There are other New Forest sites some larger and some only of CS / CL type. I think one pub even uses a Motorhome Fun licencing from Jim. But most of these will now be fully booked. When CITF pulled the plug I was fortunate to act quick and make a couple of bookings elsewhere.

Camping outside of the licenced campsites has never been allowed in the New Forest. They have always been strict on this. Many locals are concerned that with CITF sites closed there will be an increase in those trying to wild camp. Enforcement will have been stepped up.

There are a number of active groups with vested interests operating in the New Forest. The Verderers have a significant impact on the common land since they combine to provide the common grazing rights for the the ponies, cattle and such like, and from their perspective tourists are a nuisance. Equally it may be the interests to avoid intensification of use and limit tourism and other impacts that makes the New Forest an attractive place to visit.

The New Forest is tourist country and the absence of 3000 camping pitches for peak season will be a problem for many of the pubs, cafes, local shops, cycle hire and others who were seeking to recover trade. An article recently I saw from one cafe suggested some 50% of his business was from campers.

Its not just campers unwelcome, we live in The Forest and have walked our dogs there for 60+ years. Now we can't park as many car parks are locked closed. Our favourite spot, Denny Wood is locked, recently dragon toothed and ditched.
This of course overloads what is left so Forestry Commission can sat the Forest is overrun.
I am assuming this is to prevent unauthorised use of the closed campsites, but the forestry cycle paths and walks remain accessible?

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Camping in the Forest (uses Forestry Commision sites leased to the Camping and Caravan Club as operators, technically a partnership arrangement) operate New Forest sites totalling around 3000 pitches. A fortnight ago, just as Boris gave the greenlight for sites to open, CITF pulled the plug and cancelled everything, not just in New Forest but also sites elsewhere in England and Scotland. Their website claims this was due to their concerns that their sites were open space where punters choose where to pitch and they were also concerned about maintaining cleansing. There are other threads here where I have expressed my views. Whatever pressure might now be brought for a review of opening it isn't going to happen as CITF will made staff redundant.

Only CITF sites are closed. There are other New Forest sites some larger and some only of CS / CL type. I think one pub even uses a Motorhome Fun licencing from Jim. But most of these will now be fully booked. When CITF pulled the plug I was fortunate to act quick and make a couple of bookings elsewhere.

Camping outside of the licenced campsites has never been allowed in the New Forest. They have always been strict on this. Many locals are concerned that with CITF sites closed there will be an increase in those trying to wild camp. Enforcement will have been stepped up.

There are a number of active groups with vested interests operating in the New Forest. The Verderers have a significant impact on the common land since they combine to provide the common grazing rights for the the ponies, cattle and such like, and from their perspective tourists are a nuisance. Equally it may be the interests to avoid intensification of use and limit tourism and other impacts that makes the New Forest an attractive place to visit.

The New Forest is tourist country and the absence of 3000 camping pitches for peak season will be a problem for many of the pubs, cafes, local shops, cycle hire and others who were seeking to recover trade. An article recently I saw from one cafe suggested some 50% of his business was from campers.

I am assuming this is to prevent unauthorised use of the closed campsites, but the forestry cycle paths and walks remain accessible?
Yes the walks etc are open if/if you can find somewhere to park, it's not just campsites closed but many of the other car parks normally used by walkers, police are hot on people parking on edge of road. We had to drive to Lyndhurst today, what few car parks still open were rammed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
By keeping all the sites closed and closing a lot of car parks it looks like it has created more problems than there would have been if everything was open.
I didn't realise the sites were staying closed we were looking forward to a few days there after the initial panic was over.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The new forest , the locals have a lot of clout what does on , true there have been some bad fires from bbq . Yes there are a lot of curtain twitching as well . A place I am not fond off because of their attitude .

Oh no, I’ve just bought blinds for all the windows! So can’t curtain twitch even if I wanted to 😊 Think it’s probably the same in a lot of places, some people are busybodies, my body’s too knackered to be busy.

Debs , I’m a few minutes walk from the Hare and Hounds.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I don’t think it is anything to do with the infection rate and CIF have closed all their sites, not just the ones in the New Forest. It was a very late decision and I suspect that they panicked when popular areas like the NF and Bournemouth beach got overwhelmed by irresponsible trippers. Perhaps they had difficulty complying with Government guidelines. I think they need to release a statement saying why they did this at the last minute having continued to accept bookings until a few days before Motorhome Independence Day.
I think you will find they had decided to close before the Bournemoutb issue as posted on another thread re the New Forest..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back