Toilet Woes Again, Sorry .......... (1 Viewer)

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
SO, I am posing this delicate question to the obvious fans of the crappy bowl liner.

Picture this, you are away in the van and the change in the water, weather, food or whatever has left you a bit "bunged up" for a day or so. You visit the bathroom and prepare your throne for the hoped for and much anticipated appearance of your bowel movement. You take your seat and strain, and what ventures forth is a solid log a good few inches long. You clean yourself, flush and open the trap. But there it is, your much hoped for prize wedged across the hole in the cassette. Now what do you do? poke it with your finger hoping to ease it through the hole? or maybe find something to cut it up into disposable chunks?

I bet you were really pleased to line the toilet bowl with a piece of paper like a coffee filter to prevent marking the plastic.

Honestly it really puzzles me how some people get so worried about a bodily movement. Open the trap, wet the bowl to lubricate and bombs away, straight down the chute and gone

Check to see if the nearly full light is illuminated. If it has come on and a simple risk assessment tells you not to use it, poo in a poly bag seal it, store it somewhere (preferably a sealed plastic box), look for a dog waste bin - simples💩🐶💩

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
SO, I am posing this delicate question to the obvious fans of the crappy bowl liner.

Picture this, you are away in the van and the change in the water, weather, food or whatever has left you a bit "bunged up" for a day or so. You visit the bathroom and prepare your throne for the hoped for and much anticipated appearance of your bowel movement. You take your seat and strain, and what ventures forth is a solid log a good few inches long. You clean yourself, flush and open the trap. But there it is, your much hoped for prize wedged across the hole in the cassette. Now what do you do? poke it with your finger hoping to ease it through the hole? or maybe find something to cut it up into disposable chunks?

I bet you were really pleased to line the toilet bowl with a piece of paper like a coffee filter to prevent marking the plastic.

Honestly it really puzzles me how some people get so worried about a bodily movement. Open the trap, wet the bowl to lubricate and bombs away, straight down the chute and gone
Jeez, the flap hole in my toilet must be 3 inches diameter, how thick are your stools that they need to be dissected to get through that. BTW, I'm an advocate of Happy Bowls, brilliant when taking 3 young grandkids with us. 🙄😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Check to see if the nearly full light is illuminated. If it has come on and a simple risk assessment tells you not to use it, poo in a poly bag seal it, store it somewhere (preferably a sealed plastic box), look for a dog waste bin - simples💩🐶💩
Easier to get the spare cassette out, that's what we do. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2019
scotland
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
new
Need to get all public and site
Toilets open as the laybys are full
And there, s no hygen in that we will be up to our necks in the stuff:love:

rick brind

Free Member
May 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
hymer a class
Exp
6 years
I tend to wipe my bum with toilet paper flush it down the pan then wash my hands whether in a WC or my van. What's so different wiping the bowl if you miss the hole in the same way then wash your hands. Also why do so many not open the blade first before doing a whoppsie thus making a smelly mess to clean up anyway
Doh!

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Easier to get the spare cassette out, that's what we do. :LOL:

Each to their own Lenny. Had a spare cassette in the last van, unfortunately not compatible with the new one, that’s likely to change once the borders open up though 🤣.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Yup Terry nappies with soft feel liners and a disposable liner, enfold contents of nappy in nappy, walk asap to to loo and hang onto top edge of it whilst flushing. Flush at least twice. Then plunge into lidded nappy bucket and either pore a kettle of boiling water over it or use Napisan until you have as many as you want to make it worthwhile to turn the washing machine on.

They're fabulous now, shaped just like disposables, with Velcro tabs and elastic. I used them until my little one was two, but she was in full time nursery then, and dealing with a bag of whiffy nappies after putting her to bed was a step too far. I didn't mind dealing with then at the time, but not after they'd sat in a bag all day! The best thing is they now recommend storing them dry, so you can do away with the bucket, sling them straight into the washer, and turn it on at the end of the day, having only touched the things once (which should be enough for anyone!)

Thanks for cleaning tips. I'll add it to a list.

OP
OP
Burstnerite

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
As the OP can I just say I think this is getting a bit out of hand. You What ???
Details of other people's bowel movements ?? I've got enough of my own, thank you.
I only wanted a few comments about Happy Bowls, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Hang on, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ..................

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No I'm interest Wellington, do they have blue ones and pink ones. so you get the double bit in the right place for the baby's anatomy or what?

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
There’s eleventy billion different kinds and a as many colours - prints, you name it! I favoured bamboo, shaped ones, but my daughter was tiny so they never leaked. Then a lot come with the basic nappy shape and various pockets to boost absorbency in different places, if required. You can just shove extra padding in wherever, basically, and tie it all down with the velcro/popper waterproof cover.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Come on, mate - don’t be mean. To write such a dismissive reply to someone new who’s summoned up the courage to post an innocent question.......not good. Thankfully, the majority of people have responded well and hopefully made the OP feel welcome. Indeed, I am grateful the question was posted because I have actually learnt some stuff from some of the replies the query has instigated, and I’ve had motorhomes on and off since 1980.
Bang on,,,I have asked some pretty plain questions on here and always had a honest and frank reply,,and I have learnt LOADS, far more than I would have reading a manual ( which aren’t always straightforward), I felt the benefit of The Funsters here is that you can’t ask a stupid question, everyone has to start somewhere, and having your first motorhome is quite a daunting prospect. Ps and some of the replies are hilarious:LOL:

Apr 25, 2017
Sandy, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2016
This thread is great fun :) I originally bought some Happy Bowl tissue when the MH was new. I never bothered to renew the pack when it was empty as I (Loose Harry the bomb aimer) learned to position my bottom so when I pulled the "bombs away" lever the ordinance flew through the middle of the open bomb doors and hit their target dead centre at the bottom of the cassette. No splashes, collateral damage or friendly fire. Hussars !!!

A tip re flushing. I'm one of those people who like to swill a little bit of water around the bowl from a plastic glass after a gratifying pee. I haven't upgraded to using a spray bottle but both methods give you more time between trips to the Elsan. Enjoy your toilet x:-)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure if your comments are based on experience of using them, but we like them a lot because you don't have to sit with the blade open which is an altogether different experience to pooing into a liner on the shelf then dropping it with quick flick and short flush (well beats the cross toilet paper method imo!). So much less smell.........then again some people revel in subjecting others to poo that apparently smells of chocolate.......😈. There is no risk of "blocking it up" because the material is so thin, degrades completely and has no apparent mass. We don't "line the bog" at home because our toilets flush considerably more effectively there.

Not the "best thing ever" or "what was missing" in our lives, but in terms of comfort and less exposure to smells caused by the dreaded blade being open for too long, we're more than happy to buy (or make) happy bowl liners. I thank you..
A SOG, or other variant, completely solves the problem of smell with the blade open. Using a liner of any sort means the source of smell sits on it until flushed💩. With a SOG there is never any toilet smell in the van ever and is the most important reason to have one IMO. Depending on the state of the filter and how breezy the day is there may be a whiff outside though :Eeek:.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So, to save another toilet thread (I’m unfazed about cleaning the bowl, as I have children and am merely grateful if it IS the bowl that needs cleaning). How does one clean the cassette. Do people clean cassettes? I’ve never bothered before with no noticeable results, but now I have a Carthago and There Are Standards (I may or may not bother with them, but feel obliged to know what they are!)
I clean the outside of the cassette normally when I return home but more often on longer trips. I have never, ever, cleaned the inside unless prior to replacing parts of the internal mechanism. I don't even rinse it out.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Some people are practical others not quite so , my oldest son has a Class 1 Degree but not that practical, my other son decided not to try University , he is very practical. But we are proud of both.
Noting wrong with not going uni
If he done well good on him
I left school with noting and still go most of it

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Images of you folding the crude encrusted blade away after use.:sick:

Pure natural aroma for me I hate all those smelly things they set me off sneezing for half an hour.

Can’t quite agree with this Lenny, no encrusted blades. You extol the virtues of the SOG system saying there’s less smell whilst on the throne, yet suggest natural aroma preferable (presumably while emptying unadulterated cassettes) to waste that has been broken down with an aroma acceptable to the handler?

I‘ve had the misfortune of emptying cassettes following team effort failure 🤣. Remembering to put the bio tab in the cassette after emptying keeps things ‘fluid’. Whenever emptying unadulterated cassettes it seems to take me about fifty times longer because the solids having to rattle around and negotiate the internal twists and turns of the Thetford cassette (as good as a morning workout 🤣).

Well ok....... maybe twice as long!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Whenever emptying unadulterated cassettes it seems to take me about fifty times longer because the solids having to rattle around and negotiate the internal twists and turns of the Thetford cassette (as good as a morning workout 🤣
Empty it after a drive just a slurry then.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Lenny........ Like I keep saying, it’s horses for courses, one man/woman’s chore is anothers nightmare. Best just leave the poo thing to those best equipped to deal with it. None will universally agree because we are all different .......😎🇮🇲

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Exactly..................and one more mechanical failure waiting to happen 🛠.
The only moving part is a cheap computer fan! And in my use of SOGs over the last 10 or 15 years one hasn't failed yet. As potential failures go it's pretty minimalist. It's the only complete answer I've found to toilet smells - and as the toilet may as well be in the lounge / dining area / kitchen it not smelling at all is important.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
A SOG, or other variant, completely solves the problem of smell with the blade open. Using a liner of any sort means the source of smell sits on it until flushed💩. With a SOG there is never any toilet smell in the van ever and is the most important reason to have one IMO. Depending on the state of the filter and how breezy the day is there may be a whiff outside though :Eeek:.

What's a SOG?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What's a SOG?
it's a shit smell extractor fan, fitted to a cassette toilet. Pumps the smell of you having your morning dump outside to be enjoyed by your next door neighbour whilst they eat their breakfast al fresco

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
it's a shit smell extractor fan, fitted to a cassette toilet. Pumps the smell of you having your morning dump outside to be enjoyed by your next door neighbour whilst they eat their breakfast al fresco

Nice. 😷🤮

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What's a SOG?
A Sog toilet kit dispenses with the need for smelly chemicals being stored / purchased and used in your motorhome or caravan toilet systems.

Opening the toilet valve activates a low powered extraction fan which consumes a measly 0.43 watts.

The fan creates a mild negative pressure within the cassette which draws oxygen into the cassette from the bathroom area.

This drawing in or air effectively seals off odours contained in the cassette and draws into the cassette personnel odours during use.

The sog fan only operates when the toilet is in use. Driving smells no longer exist.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
To be fair this only happens when the user doesn't realise the filter which is supposed to remove the smell has to be replaced periodically. Some vent through the roof which negates the problem.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We considered getting a sog but smells are very minimal really with bio washing liquid in the cassette and we just keep the loo roof vent open at all times.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
It's the only complete answer I've found to toilet smells

Is emptying pure unadulterated sh1t part of that complete answer?

like Iv‘e said previously - horses for courses, it’s like comparing apples with oranges, except they smell better :giggler:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Do you put the bowl liners in after using or before going?because if you get taken short do you have time to get one out of the packet and place.

and a quick tip never drive the van with the toilet more than half full with a sog without putting the stopper in only did it once as the connection to the cassette doesn’t stop anything going up the tube (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back