Toilet Woes Again, Sorry .......... (1 Viewer)

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Oh come on! happy bowl? total vanity waste of money

Wax the plastic and the shit doesn't stick. Very simple concept rather than dropping a wrapped up turd like a burrito in the cassette and potentially blocking it up

Do you line the bog at home before you take a dump? or just ensure the bowl is clean and shiny to keep it hygienic

Simply clean the cassette toilet and then seal the surface of the bowl with a nice coat of shiny car wax. Repeat every few months to prevent crap from clinging to any rough surface

Happy Bowl, what an invention. Make something nobody needs then persuade people it is the best thing ever and what was missing from their lifeP. Not sure if your comments are based on experience of using them, but we like them a lot because you don't have to sit with the blade open which is an altogether different experience to pooing into a liner on the shelf then dropping it with quick flick and short flush (well beats the cross toilet paper method imo!). So much less smell.........then again some people revel in subjecting others to poo that apparently smells of chocolate.......😈. There is no risk of "blocking it up" because the material is so thin, degrades completely and has no apparent mass. We don't "line the bog" at home because our toilets flush considerably more effectively there.

Not the "best thing ever" or "what was missing" in our lives, but in terms of comfort and less exposure to smells caused by the dreaded blade being open for too long, we're more than happy to buy (or make) happy bowl liners. I thank you..

Wax the plastic and the shit doesn't stick. Very simple concept rather than dropping a wrapped up turd like a burrito in the cassette and potentially blocking it up

Do you line the bog at home before you take a dump? or just ensure the bowl is clean and shiny to keep it hygienic

Simply clean the cassette toilet and then seal the surface of the bowl with a nice coat of shiny car wax. Repeat every few months to prevent crap from clinging to any rough surface

Happy Bowl, what an invention. Make something nobody needs then persuade people it is the best thing ever and what was missing from their life

Happy Bowl, what an invention. Make something nobody needs then persuade people it is the best thing ever and what was missing from their life

Not sure if your comments are based on experience of using them, but we like them a lot because you don't have to sit with the blade open which is an altogether different experience to pooing into a liner on the shelf then dropping it with quick flick and short flush (well beats the cross toilet paper method imo!). So much less smell.........then again some people revel in subjecting others to poo that apparently smells of chocolate.......😈. There is no risk of "blocking it up" because the material is so thin, degrades completely and has no apparent mass. We don't "line the bog" at home because our toilets flush considerably more effectively there.

Not the "best thing ever" or "what was missing" in our lives, but in terms of comfort and less exposure to smells caused by the dreaded blade being open for too long, we're more than happy to buy (or make) happy bowl liners. I thank you..

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I do agree with you that it was a bit of a rant. But not a very welcoming one. We were all newbies once you know. Thank goodness nobody posted answers like yours when I was a newbie asking naive questions that you do not approve of. If they had I would not have been a member here for the last 7 years.

And, if you think that motorhoming has to be "rufty tufty", you are probably not doing it right. We rarely use camp sites but we can still live well in our fully equipped motorhome.

"Here Here "

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
When I was a young backpacker going around India may moons ago the toilets often had a little copper pipe in the bowl pointing upwards with a little wheel at the side which when turned started a jet of water. In my naivety I thought it was for washing hands...I only realised a few months later what it was really for. It would be quite useful in a Thetford.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
When I was a young backpacker going around India may moons ago the toilets often had a little copper pipe in the bowl pointing upwards with a little wheel at the side which when turned started a jet of water. In my naivety I thought it was for washing hands...I only realised a few months later what it was really for. It would be quite useful in a Thetford.

We agree

Mar 3, 2017
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinberg Carloft
Exp
Getting the hang of it from 2017
Another vote for happy bowl.
One of the joys is coiling out a massive bowl cracker and filling the happy bowl cone in the morning, with out spoiling the pan.
Quite an art to it and a lot of practice to get it right.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Another vote for happy bowl.
One of the joys is coiling out a massive bowl cracker and filling the happy bowl cone in the morning, with out spoiling the pan.
Quite an art to it and a lot of practice to get it right.

😂🤣😂🤓

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Reading these threads about happy bowl liners and crossed squares of toilet paper I often find myself asking myself "are these people real" and are they really cut out for the "Rufty Tufty" motorhome way of life? Then I will see another thread like "How do I use the shower" I mean REALLY!! Surely if they are intelligent to post questions on a forum why they cannot find the answers to what they seek knowledge of by reading the manual???

Sorry bit of a rant there!

Come on, mate - don’t be mean. To write such a dismissive reply to someone new who’s summoned up the courage to post an innocent question.......not good. Thankfully, the majority of people have responded well and hopefully made the OP feel welcome. Indeed, I am grateful the question was posted because I have actually learnt some stuff from some of the replies the query has instigated, and I’ve had motorhomes on and off since 1980.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Come on, mate - don’t be mean. To write such a dismissive reply to someone new who’s summoned up the courage to post an innocent question.......not good. Thankfully, the majority of people have responded well and hopefully made the OP feel welcome. Indeed, I am grateful the question was posted because I have actually learnt some stuff from some of the replies the query has instigated, and I’ve had motorhomes on and off since 1980.

I thank you for your reply to my post, but let me say this before you criticise me. You should perhaps read my post again.
My post was a generalisation nowhere did I criticise the OP. Who in actual fact has been a member here longer than I have.

If you feel that my post was abusive to the OP in any way please feel free to report it to Jim our leader.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We have just tried the Bio Tabs as suggested , well we feel we have injested a smell that's worse than our own !! we have also tried the Green stuff sold at the Nec. by Towsure , that, the same ,I can't that our droppings are that much different than anybody else's, so it's back to the usual well known brand for us. tried Green ,looked in the mirror and the only thing looked Green was my face (like sick green)

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
I just re-read your post, Trophychap, and didn’t find it any kinder the second time round. Also, I never called you abusive, fella - just thought the tone was a bit mean. But never mind, a misunderstanding, surely. I think we’ve both made our points, so we’ll let it drop, eh? Don’t want to descend into an undignified online spat....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fit a SOG, no smell with the blade open.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have just tried the Bio Tabs as suggested , well we feel we have injested a smell that's worse than our own !! we have also tried the Green stuff sold at the Nec. by Towsure , that, the same ,I can't that our droppings are that much different than anybody else's, so it's back to the usual well known brand for us. tried Green ,looked in the mirror and the only thing looked Green was my face (like sick green)

The green stuff will only work if ALL the previous blue is removed. If not the blue chemicals kill the green natural chemicals. It takes a lot of washing and a few times of use.

I really like the smell of the blue, but went across to green for environmental benefits. But am now on liquid smelly stuff, and will see how it goes.

these

OP
OP
Burstnerite

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
As the OP, I'd just like to point out we have been motorhomers on and off for neatly 20 years. please see my membership number. So I don't see myself as a 'newbie', it was a genuine question as we have never used a cassettet toilet for that function ? before. By the way, in this context which is the appropriate 'manual' ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I connect a shower to the sink mixer tap because I am to lazy to rotate she shower assembly on mine, it also cleans the toilet bowl very effectively.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
SO, I am posing this delicate question to the obvious fans of the crappy bowl liner.

Picture this, you are away in the van and the change in the water, weather, food or whatever has left you a bit "bunged up" for a day or so. You visit the bathroom and prepare your throne for the hoped for and much anticipated appearance of your bowel movement. You take your seat and strain, and what ventures forth is a solid log a good few inches long. You clean yourself, flush and open the trap. But there it is, your much hoped for prize wedged across the hole in the cassette. Now what do you do? poke it with your finger hoping to ease it through the hole? or maybe find something to cut it up into disposable chunks?

I bet you were really pleased to line the toilet bowl with a piece of paper like a coffee filter to prevent marking the plastic.

Honestly it really puzzles me how some people get so worried about a bodily movement. Open the trap, wet the bowl to lubricate and bombs away, straight down the chute and gone

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
So, to save another toilet thread (I’m unfazed about cleaning the bowl, as I have children and am merely grateful if it IS the bowl that needs cleaning). How does one clean the cassette. Do people clean cassettes? I’ve never bothered before with no noticeable results, but now I have a Carthago and There Are Standards (I may or may not bother with them, but feel obliged to know what they are!)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Too vivid a description.

I'm not sure that a poop knife is compatible with a motorhome toilet.

standard kit in some families using disposable nappies. I used disposable liners, and never needed one. Thank goodness for modern washing machines!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup Terry nappies with soft feel liners and a disposable liner, enfold contents of nappy in nappy, walk asap to to loo and hang onto top edge of it whilst flushing. Flush at least twice. Then plunge into lidded nappy bucket and either pore a kettle of boiling water over it or use Napisan until you have as many as you want to make it worthwhile to turn the washing machine on.

Wellington - this is one of the reasons I highly recommend Lidl own brand Bio laundry liquid - by eck it also gets any detritus off the inside of the cassette. Our previous Moho had been in use for a couple of years by the time we caught onto it from recommendations by others on this very forum, about couple of weeks before starting to use it, Pete had cleaned the cassette using Thetford cassette cleaner and inverting the cassette in all 4 directions to get all of the inside anointed and soaked in the substance overnight and done it again a few times - shedloads of black bits came out of it each time, aagh.

Followed by the same resulting loads of black bits when actually emptying the used cassette for a few months after buying the Lidl. Cassette was pristine by the time we P/Xd that van for the Pilote we still have in which we have never used anything except the Bio - and the cassette has never ever had build up of black stuff. Yet - but it's only 5 years old - so who knows?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Sorry if Pete upset some of you, we've both been camping where it was necessary to set to and dig both the latrine and a grease pit and were pleased when the porta potti arrived on the market, let alone a FLUSHING toilet! Can't believe so many people seem to have never been either Cubs or Brownies or members of similar organisations or simply been tent camping in farmer's fields when young and skint, so unable to afford B&B even when they were 30 bob a night.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
As I said earlier tried Lidl bio tabs even tried 2 a time, I rather smell me own than that, tried other green stuff now using just 60 ml of Elsan Blue ,whiffs gone, I reckon it will work out cheaper than Lidl Tabs overall, unless of course you use nothing as you have no sense of smell 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wondered what the No. 2 attachment on my Swiss army knife was for . Now I know 🔪💩🚽
Images of you folding the crude encrusted blade away after use.:sick:
As I said earlier tried Lidl bio tabs even tried 2 a time, I rather smell me own than that, tried other green stuff now using just 60 ml of Elsan Blue ,whiffs gone, I reckon it will work out cheaper than Lidl Tabs overall, unless of course you use nothing as you have no sense of smell 🤔
Pure natural aroma for me I hate all those smelly things they set me off sneezing for half an hour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back