Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Leaving a Spanish Aire this morning, a Dutch bloke had his Knaus Sky Ti positioned over the grey waste drain. Only what was coming out was the contents of his loo holding tank. After a bit he flicked a switch and then the waste water fell.
1) That's just not right.
2) There were no solids or paper, would a macerator be involved?
3) Who produces/fits a bit of kit that lets you empty sewage into the water drains?
4) That's just not right.
I told him I didn't think he should be doing it, he just shrugged his shoulders and grinned.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Leaving a Spanish Aire this morning, a Dutch bloke had his Knaus Sky Ti positioned over the grey waste drain. Only what was coming out was the contents of his loo holding tank. After a bit he flicked a switch and then the waste water fell.
3) Who produces/fits a bit of kit that lets you empty sewage into the water drains?
I told him I didn't think he should be doing it, he just shrugged his shoulders and grinned.
It's tossers like him that get us all a bad name. No wonder all the beatiful beach camping spots are being shut down.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If there were no solids or paper how could it be certain it was from a toilet holding tank. My grey waste can look dark when there has been tea or coffee put down the sink and into the tank. I have never heard of a single outlet for grey and black waste, with the ability to switch between the two, one could contaminate the other, not saying its not possible just never heard of it. The toilet looks like a standard Thetford cassette one and there is a cassette door in the side of the motorhome. Thetford do not manufacture a motorhome toilet with a mecerator as far as I know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
There are only 2 types of drain, sewerage or surface water. You cannot empty grey water into a surface water drain, only into a sewerage drain. So he was not doing anything wrong, except if he was allowing it to spew all over the drain area rather than using a hose to direct it into the grating at the fall end. Yes he will have a macerating toilet which turns the output to liquid.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
He proberly had a macerator fitted so it all gets mashed up. Had one on my RV but only ever dumped it in the right waste outlet. You empty the black tank first and the theory being you then let the grey go and it washes the pipes out.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think some of the RVs with black tanks rather than cassettes discharge via a hose that is then "flushed out" using water from the grey tank. @Mikey RV beat me to that.

But it should not have gone into a grey waste facility - that's just wrong.

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
american rv have black and grey waste outlet that switch over at outlet they drain their black waste and flush outlet pipe with their grey waste but are not supposed to go down water drains

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I wonder its possible to fit a macerator to a Thetford C250 cassette toilet which is what is fitted as standard. Perhaps in an RV where there is more room but might be difficult in a motorhome. I would be interested in that if it were possible. It might be an advantage to have both the facility of the cassette and a macerator as well.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Can't see the problem as a sewer is surely the place it should go ?
Perhaps I am missing something here ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Why you shouldn't put black waste down a grey waste I'm assuming ......

Well at our house we have a tank for black waste and a soak away for grey waste. The black waste gets treated before it is discharged. The tank and effluent are officially inspected and tested every 2 years (we test every two weeks when we are at home) and the tank is pumped out completely for a 10 year inspection. We are in the water catchment area for an SSSI. The grey waste goes through a fairly basic filter and then into a soak away and then (eventually) into the river system. I don't think I would be very popular if I discharged black waste pretty much directly into the river system. Many houses still have private water extraction so I wouldn't want to discharge black waste into their drinking water - nor would I wish to damage the wild salmon and sea trout breeding streams.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Grey should not go into a soak away, except via a 3 chamber septic tank which I suspect is what you have and call a "black" tank, the filtered effluent from that does go into a soak away.

Deleted User
There are only 2 types of drain, sewerage or surface water. You cannot empty grey water into a surface water drain, only into a sewerage drain. So he was not doing anything wrong, except if he was allowing it to spew all over the drain area rather than using a hose to direct it into the grating at the fall end. Yes he will have a macerating toilet which turns the output to liquid.

Is that why on every site, aire or other waste disposal point there are two separate drains, one for black waste, one for grey?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have macerator toilet with black tank and a grey tank. I have an outlet for the grey tank but rarely use it. I always go to the sewer drain - big 3 inch black tank drop and then I have a switch which pumps the grey onto the black tank and dump that through which 'cleans' the pipe at the same time.

I cannot see a problem - it's all going down the sewer. Biggest problem in UK is finding somewhere to dump so we keep up our C and CC Membership as it allows you to drop in and empty for a small fee. Have all the participating sites plotted on my sat nav so I can visit one on the way home as I have no where to dump where we live. On the continent of course there are plenty of low level emptying dump spots.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
How do you know, I remain to be convinced!
Because I have worked on many sewage systems over the years and installed a lot of underground drainage there are only 2 basic systems, one for storm water which you don't put grey soapy greasy water in and then the sewer .
Some sites with no main drains may well separate the chemical emptying point from the normal sewer especially if they are using their own packaged sewage treatment plants.

Deleted User
We have macerator toilet with black tank and a grey tank. I have an outlet for the grey tank but rarely use it. I always go to the sewer drain - big 3 inch black tank drop and then I have a switch which pumps the grey onto the black tank and dump that through which 'cleans' the pipe at the same time.

I cannot see a problem - it's all going down the sewer. Biggest problem in UK is finding somewhere to dump so we keep up our C and CC Membership as it allows you to drop in and empty for a small fee. Have all the participating sites plotted on my sat nav so I can visit one on the way home as I have no where to dump where we live. On the continent of course there are plenty of low level emptying dump spots.

No problem putting grey waste down a 'sewer' connection or are you saying that you put a mixture down the grey waste disposal points on C&CC sites?
I think that they would not be too pleased to learn that!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Is that why on every site, aire or other waste disposal point there are two separate drains, one for black waste, one for grey?
So OK where do you think the black goes and where does the grey go on every site? I think the answer to your question is that historically in Europe we have had cassette toilets. These contain substantial solids, the nature of their construction makes it tricky to empty, inevitably you need space and a large throat to empty into, and a working height preferably. To drain a grey tank into a drain 2ft up in the air is impossible, so to meet the needs of the two waste evacuation constrictions two options are presented but wherever I have seen the actual drain pipe both waters joined the same drain. If you were seeing someone trying to force solids between the grids of a grey drain, as I have done, that is revolting, for me as much as the dog owner walking in front of you who bends down with his plastic bag. But with a macerated liquid which is subsequently flushed with the grey tank, managed cleanly as it can be, I do not see the issue.

Deleted User
Because I have worked on many sewage systems over the years and installed a lot of underground drainage there are only 2 basic systems, one for storm water which you don't put grey soapy greasy water in and then the sewer .
Some sites with no main drains may well separate the chemical emptying point from the normal sewer especially if they are using their own packaged sewage treatment plants.

Have you done that in Spain, France and Portugal where most sites have separate systems as per your last comment.

The OP was about a Spanish aire.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No problem putting grey waste down a 'sewer' connection or are you saying that you put a mixture down the grey waste disposal points on C&CC sites?

No, I am putting both down their ground level toilet waste i.e. sewer - I can only empty to ground level - an RV waste point.

In the US when we were there it was always everything down one hole and they are set up for it - so easy

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We are on a C&MC site now there are 2 manholes for left or right emptying of motorhome waste you put grey and black down the same manholes it is the sewer.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Have you done that in Spain, France and Portugal where most sites have separate systems as per your last comment.

The OP was about a Spanish aire.
Yes I have and I have installed drains in Spain !

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Knowing what the Spanish are like you will be lucky if the sewers are connected to anything but what they call a black hole !
Basically a big hole is dug in the ground and the drains all terminate into it then they either cast a concrete lid or lintel over it , when it stops working they dig another !

Reactions: DBK

Deleted User
No, I am putting both down their ground level toilet waste i.e. sewer - I can only empty to ground level - an RV waste point.

In the US when we were there it was always everything down one hole and they are set up for it - so easy

We are on a C&MC site now there are 2 manholes for left or right emptying of motorhome waste you put grey and black down the same manholes it is the sewer.
I will bow to your greater knowledge of C&CC sites, I toured for 8 years with a 5'er and used an old roller water carrier to empty both grey and black waste down the chemical disposal point as on most sites or aires in Europe that we have been they do not have low level black waste emptying facilities and have separate systems.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
  • Torremolinos today ----Well this English reg van has been parked over the sewerage manhole at the pumping station for 3 days now!
I am not shifting he says,"why do you not just dump your cassette in the field beside the road"
There is another sewerage manhole on the beach,but it
Is exposed to the view of family's walking on the beach.
Unreasonable??
I cannot get the picture to load!!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There ar
I will bow to your greater knowledge of C&CC sites, I toured for 8 years with a 5'er and used an old roller water carrier to empty both grey and black waste down the chemical disposal point as on most sites or aires in Europe that we have been they do not have low level black waste emptying facilities and have separate systems.
There are about 50 C and CC sites in the UK that offer what they refer to as a motorhome pitch point - this is a grey and black waste disposal point set in the ground

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Grey should not go into a soak away, except via a 3 chamber septic tank which I suspect is what you have and call a "black" tank, the filtered effluent from that does go into a soak away.

Yes, we have one for grey and one for black and the HAVE to be kept separate - not sure why but that is what SEPA required when we built this house, it was part of the building control requirement and was checked - sort of two septic tanks, the one for the black waste much more complex than the one for the grey waste (and a lot more expensive).

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Yes, we have one for grey and one for black and the HAVE to be kept separate - not sure why but that is what SEPA required when we built this house, it was part of the building control requirement and was checked - sort of two septic tanks, the one for the black waste much more complex than the one for the grey waste (and a lot more expensive).

So are you seriously saying that they made you install separate systems inside the house for your baths and sinks etc ?
Here's a laugh , at the C&MC site we are on they installed a water recycling system so that the toilets were flushed with the grey shower water etc , it stank to high heaven and was totally unusable so now obsolete and toilets flush on mains water ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back