Toilet washing thingies which ones urgent (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Not all of us spend that sort of money on a MH, and even if we did it's not scrimping if we choose to use something else ... I can't stand the smell of the blue stuff anyway and it isn't environmentally friendly due to the chemicals in it. If you MUST use an Elsan product then the green organic one is the best as it won't damage septic tanks etc.

I prefer to add as little as possible to the cassette so as not to pollute the environment more than is necessary and find the smell of the bio washing liquid much nicer.

I'm with you on that one. Although it seems all blue fluids are not equal. Some these days are formaldehyde-free -- one of those is Thetford. Blue Diamond is 10% formaldehyde. Checking the safety sheets, it seems some other brands can be more than 50% formaldehyde! I'm not sure why people still use the blue stuff, really: the more environment-friendly green fluid does as good a job as far as I can tell (never having used the blue stuff). Then again the cheapo bio washing liquid that I've tried (Lidl Formil) seems to do just as well too -- although the perfume is a bit strong for my liking! For those of us in PVCs with limited storage a single liquid that can be used for both laundry and bog is a bit of a space-saver too.

Formaldehyde is quite nasty stuff -- ask a builder or chippy who is clued-up on using particle board and the precautions they are supposed to take these days -- you don't really want it polluting the land through septic tank drainage fields.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On the Continent they do not use 'Bio' on the label - one needs to read the contents and look for the word 'enzyme'

Geofff

or " Actif " on most Aldi stuff

whats wrong with good old Elsan Blue
It kills bacteria in tanks.Many places you can't empty
oh dear(n)(n) - we all spend 60k plus on a motor-home and then scrimp on £10 for a bottle of blue.:eek: is blue any more detrimental to the environment to washing tabs?

It poisons septic tanks & renders them useless.Bio tabs don't.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The blue liquid can stain anything if you have a spillage the capsules are much safer!

I never managed once to refill the loo without some evidence of the bloody blue stuff! ---- Plus ---I hate the chemical smell.

I've just bought some Aldi bio in liquid form to try. @Minxy Girl seems to endorse adding as much as is needed, when necessary

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never managed once to refill the loo without some evidence of the bloody blue stuff! ---- Plus ---I hate the chemical smell.

I've just bought some Aldi bio in liquid form to try. @Minxy Girl seems to endorse adding as much as is needed, when necessary
Yes, just add a bit of liquid at first and then a bit more the following day if you don't get to empty the tank, much better than slinging in a load of it (as you do with sachets) and then when you empty it the following day you waste it ... I don't like waste!

Yes it does ruddy stain too, no matter what they say ... I'll never ever use the blue again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, just add a bit of liquid at first and then a bit more the following day if you don't get to empty the tank, much better than slinging in a load of it (as you do with sachets) and then when you empty it the following day you waste it ... I don't like waste!

Yes it does ruddy stain too, no matter what they say ... I'll never ever use the blue again.

Can't imagine emptying that often - we normally do Aires/Wild and just go till it is full, but we do have a spare cassette.:sneaky:

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can't imagine emptying that often - we normally do Aires/Wild and just go till it is full, but we do have a spare cassette.:sneaky:

Geoff
We don't actively look to empty it every day but if we happen on somewhere convenient we will - we wild camp so aren't committed to being at a certain campsite etc each night and can never be sure exactly where we'll end up and when the next emptying point will be found and usable (even the ones on aires are sometimes inoperable/non-existent) so we'll empty it as we find them en route ... we do have a spare cassette too but haven't yet needed to use it.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I'm with you on that one. Although it seems all blue fluids are not equal. Some these days are formaldehyde-free -- one of those is Thetford. Blue Diamond is 10% formaldehyde. Checking the safety sheets, it seems some other brands can be more than 50% formaldehyde! I'm not sure why people still use the blue stuff, really: the more environment-friendly green fluid does as good a job as far as I can tell (never having used the blue stuff). Then again the cheapo bio washing liquid that I've tried (Lidl Formil) seems to do just as well too -- although the perfume is a bit strong for my liking! For those of us in PVCs with limited storage a single liquid that can be used for both laundry and bog is a bit of a space-saver too.

made a mistake

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have a 35g black tank and use nothing. :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Other advantage of bio liquid is that it saves on storage - clothes need washing when we’re away so the same stuff goes in the washing machine (not in our van before anyone says:)) as goes in the loo.

Plus I also hate the smell of the blue and the green stuff...but used to use the green before we discovered bio liquid.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Not all of us spend that sort of money on a MH, and even if we did it's not scrimping if we choose to use something else ... I can't stand the smell of the blue stuff anyway and it isn't environmentally friendly due to the chemicals in it. If you MUST use an Elsan product then the green organic one is the best as it won't damage septic tanks etc.

I prefer to add as little as possible to the cassette so as not to pollute the environment more than is necessary and find the smell of the bio washing liquid much nicer.
Well Minxy, you have convinced me to try, after years of using blue, and more recently using the blue tablets@ nearly £1 each. I will give the aldi bio tablets a go. But if my bog stinks it will be your fault... lol

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I think it’s gallons

Yes Imperial Gallons. With two of us, it can last at least two weeks before I start having to look for somewhere to empty it. It’s a sealed system with the vent pipe on the roof, 3.5m up. I must say that the grey water, when dumping, stinks to high heaven, where the black is reasonably ok. :mask:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back