pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try putting the plug in the wash basin.

Could be the grey tank has started to stink and its very similar to the smell of the cassette.

Had the same problem a few years ago and even put the cassette in an outside locker....thats when i realised it was the plug hole.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Try putting the plug in the wash basin.

Could be the grey tank has started to stink and its very similar to the smell of the cassette.

Had the same problem a few years ago and even put the cassette in an outside locker....thats when i realised it was the plug hole.
Would you do the same with the shower waste?
How did you clean the grey tank?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Would you do the same with the shower waste?
How did you clean the grey tank?

May as well.

Apparently a couple of bottles of coke poured into the tank and allowed to swish around for a while does a good job. Neat orange squash works as well I am told.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Thetford do a waste tank cleaner, but Chris's suggestion is probably cheaper and just as effective :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Empty grey waste.

Buy a few litres of Lidl's own brand full sugar coke, or if it's cheaper somewhere else get theirs instead - pour down plugholes, go for a drive to swish it about a bit, empty grey tank.

I think you can use Bio washing powder/liquid mixed with a bit of hot water down the plugholes too but would think you'd need quite a lot of it to clean the tank in the first place. One thing we discovered it did do (and again this was Lidl's Formil brand LOL) was get the scale off the inside of the loo cassette - I'm not saying it's AS good as Thetford scale remover, cos you can't actually see that well into a cassette - but heck it's a lot cheaper!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
May as well.

Apparently a couple of bottles of coke poured into the tank and allowed to swish around for a while does a good job. Neat orange squash works as well I am told.
We have had a bottle of orange squash in the van for that purpose for a couple of years. Used it once or twice on long trips and it seems to work.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One thing we discovered it did do (and again this was Lidl's Formil brand LOL) was get the scale off the inside of the loo cassette
I've been using bio liquid (Lidl or other own brand) in the cassette for a couple of years now. No problem with odours and it does keep it clean as said.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We had a smelly waste tank or our recent trip in Spain. Couldn't get rid of the smell, tried two big bottle of cheap coke left overnight as recommended here, tipped some bio washing liquid in every day after emptying it- but the smell in the tank remained horrible.

Then we found a free sample we had been given of one of these tablets; Broken Link Removed

Worked absolutely brilliantly. They are expensive but you wouldn't need to use them every day. Probably once a week would be adequate I think. Infinitely better then any other treatment we have tried. Ignore the advice of one tab per 20 litres - I think that's the dose to stop the holding tank freezing. If you just want to kill the smells one tablet is enough. We just put it in the sink and poured boiling water over it, left it for about 10 minutes then pulled out the plug and flushed it down with a bit more clean water.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We had a whiffy bathroom last month. I tackled it this way..

I emptied the cassette as normal then rinsed, then I filled it with hot water and vanish laundry powder (couple of scoops). Left it for awhile then emptied and rinsed. Used wet wipe toilet things all round the outside of the cassette and blade etc. nice clean cassette, no smells

Next I washed down and wiped all the area around the loo and bathroom floor. (It was actually clean but by then I was in a cleaning frenzy).

Finally I put a couple of bleach tablets from Asda in each plug hole turned on all the taps, thereby filling waste tank. Added some glugs of bio washing liquid (full bottle) left that to slosh around for a drive then drained tank and flushed with clean water.

No smells at all now. I think the cause was buying non bio washing liquid for the cassette by mistake and not rinsing it with clean water after empting. (User error on Mr Mousys part).

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We had a whiffy bathroom last month. I tackled it this way..

I emptied the cassette as normal then rinsed, then I filled it with hot water and vanish laundry powder (couple of scoops). Left it for awhile then emptied and rinsed. Used wet wipe toilet things all round the outside of the cassette and blade etc. nice clean cassette, no smells

Next I washed down and wiped all the area around the loo and bathroom floor. (It was actually clean but by then I was in a cleaning frenzy).

Finally I put a couple of bleach tablets from Asda in each plug hole turned on all the taps, thereby filling waste tank. Added some glugs of bio washing liquid (full bottle) left that to slosh around for a drive then drained tank and flushed with clean water.

No smells at all now. I think the cause was buying non bio washing liquid for the cassette by mistake and not rinsing it with clean water after empting. (User error on Mr Mousys part).

.....blimey, do you have OCD:rofl:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lol, no I'm rarely in the mood, but when I am stand back..

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We had a smell in the bathroom but now Mrs Badknee has banned me from there it don't do it any more.:LOL:

Reactions: GJH

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Almost everybody has gone for smelly grey waste tank as being the cause, and I agree it's the most likely culprit. However it could be worth checking the seals on the cassette as if they've been disturbed nasty niffs could get through there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Before going down the waste trap route beware Legionella, which loves pooled water over 20 C. Shower plugholes with waste traps in summer, especially southern European summer, are a known hazard. I say this simply because we have to keep an eye out for water temperatures and Legionella risk in our workplace. Middle aged men are particularly susceptible to Legionella, which fits the typical MH ownership age profile. Personally I'd prefer water to get down into the waste tank as fast as possible then send some cleaning agent after it and bung up the plug with something.

Interesting to note the suggestions for using Coke. I've just been cleaning parts of a 70-year-old cast metal portable heater by dipping them in Sainsbury's Basics Cola at only 10p a litre and it's brought them up a treat.

Come to think of it, if you use Diet Coke, drop a few Mentos mints down the plughole and open the waste outlet at just the right moment you could give your MH a rocket-assisted take off, see below:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've never read such a load of codswallop.. and scaremongering..

Waste and stench traps have been fitted in homes, motorhomes, and caravans in basins and baths , sinks and urinals since forever.. the standard flush toilet is just a big smell trap.

Legionaries disease is found in shower heads where the bacteria can be inhaled in droplets of water vapour during showering.. to catch it from a drain you would need to put your nose down the trap and breath it in..
It's also found in cooling towers and air condition plant.. hence the strict rules on sanitizing them..

CAK tanks, that well known and respected supplier of all things tanks and fittings, supply them..

http://www.caktanks.com/CAK_Water_Plumbing.htm

Of course the have to be kept clean ,a drop of household bleach is all that is needed to kill any lurking bacteria..

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I used calgon tabs in solution then flushed with a solution of bleach I also levee tap on tank open when not in use as bacteria love un ventilated places
bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is it definitely coming from the cassette or the drains?

We had a nasty stale urine smell in our previous MH's washroom and despite cleaning it very well, including the cassette, putting the plugs in and making sure everything was well sealed, we could not get rid of it and the culprit was the toilet itself.

The 'hinge' part at the rear of the toilet which holds the cover and seat in place can harbour some 'over-spray' for want of a better word! It gets under the edge of the cover and normal cleaning won't get rid of it - you need to remove the seat/cover/hinge part and giving it a good clean - you'll be horrified at what is lurking there - even the most fastidious cleaner wouldn't normally remove this to clean it.

This is one area of 'toilet husbandry' that is often overlooked ... and no I'm not talking about men ensuring their aim is accurate! :LOL:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for the advice Guys
As we were away from home, options were limited, so we tried a squirt of Flash Concentrated Cleaner with Hot Water. Worked a treat! - no more smells
Regard
Robert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back