Toilet - need to get to the nitty gritty quickly (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Which breaks 'solids' down quicker and better? Blue chemical or bio washing liquid??

We've been operating a 'strictly wees only' policy but with aires figuring more and more on our travels I would like to be as prepared as possible... and we are off again tomorrow.

Mr S says the day he empties lumps is the day I have take over that job (even if it's his??).

Sorry, far too much information but this is the only place to go for a straight answer ;)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Use bleach or the smell will be horrendous after a couple of days. The lumps don't cause a problem anyway, just don't look when emptying :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bio washing liquid is what we use. It's cheap so empty at every opportunity.
If you've used blue then the bio won't work until you've got rid of the traces of blue.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I am not sure you will get a definitive answer to this. You will get those who favour one system or the other. I cannot imagine anyone has done a direct comparison - or how you could! I believe that the chemical stuff counteracts the bio properties of the other so best thoroughly rinse out any of the blue stuff.

Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I tried, I really did but I couldn't resist poting this again, sorry:-

Wyn

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I had a problem with one of my lady wifes toilet experiences!
She passed what I can only explain as a LOG. I tried everything to remove it from the cassette. In the end, I used a skewer from the top and speared it and put it in a dog poop bag.
Ive laid lighter Flags!:cry:
Of course I said I wouldn't ever tell anyone:LOL:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We haven't used anything for years, The cassette gets emptied every 2 days so not enough time for solids to get broken down anyway.
We used to use bio liquids and that used to make the smell a bit better but it's only a few seconds it takes to empty it so haven't bothered for 7 odd years now. We take turns emptying.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
:sick: Too much detail ........ just catching up with messages and having a bacon roll ......:confused::sick::confused:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you get a log jam. Leave it add more bio and continue to use. It will be broken down by the next empty. This is six years of full time experience speaking. It is the urine that causes the nasty smells not the poo.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
We haven't used anything for years, The cassette gets emptied every 2 days so not enough time for solids to get broken down anyway.
We used to use bio liquids and that used to make the smell a bit better but it's only a few seconds it takes to empty it so haven't bothered for 7 odd years now. We take turns emptying.

I thought I recognised you coming back from the Elsan point:D
-hazmat-suit-man-suit.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you get a log jam. Leave it add more bio and continue to use. It will be broken down by the next empty. This is six years of full time experience speaking. It is the urine that causes the nasty smells not the poo.
Your Poo doesn't stink?

You must be royalty

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

You've never been in after me! I've been known to have stripped the varnish from the toilet door.:LOL:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I find a bit of spirited driving and Elsan green break it all down nicely.
Most aires have service points, so emptying out is not a problem. We tend to leave ours till almost full before emptying, we have never had a problem with anything stuck inside the cassette, even I thought there were some "firm" ones in there. :hot:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm actually a little worried

Some of the.... Let's call them movements I've had in the house I don't think the motorhome toilet could handle, I think I may have to carry a bottle of sulphuric acid with me..... Or dynamite

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Your Poo doesn't stink?

You must be royalty
The scent of the Bio masks any smell. We didn't worry if there were any bits left in the cassette as more would be following. Just empty and top up with fresh charge of bio. No need to swill at all if continuing to use the cassette. VWAlan with back me up on this. The old active bugs help break down the fresh stuff quicker.

If I needed to swill I used the grey water rather than wasting fresh drinkable water.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's immersed in rancid old urine so although the solids will smell if you got them out, it's the urine that stinks.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The cassette contents are completely natural products and in my opinion cerainly not improved with the addition of any chemicals.
I keep it chemical free and empty every day ... have done this for around 10 years without catching anything nasty.(y)

Reactions: Jim

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The blue stuff is (theoretically) forbidden on not a few European sites and service points, due to it containing Formaldehyde.

Regardless of blue, green or washing up liquid, two useful tips that may help:

1. Take out your cassette and give it the occasional shake to allow things to submerge and settle evenly, thus extending the gap between emptyings.
2. Always keep your mouth shut when emptying the cassette.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The contents of your cassette are never in there long enough (unless you forget to empty) for any of these chemicals to break them down and unless your laying huge turds and poking them down with a (sh*tty) stick why would you need too! As for shaking the cassette I always used to do this quite vigorously on emptying until the float fell off the other week, and on youtubing how to replace it came upon that very boring practical caravan fellow who said by all means give it a gentle shake, but vigorous shaking can dislodge the magnet it the cassette which enables the full /empty light to operate!

See you learn something new every day on this site don't you, first time I've ever mentioned magnetism and poo in the same paragraph!

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The scent of the Bio masks any smell.
Exactly!

I have no idea what works best in terms of breaking stuff down but seeing as most people's objection is to the smell, surely what we should be asking is which masks any smells better? And the answer to that has got to be laundry bio liquid without a doubt.

We haven't used blue for a long time so I can't remember what that smells like, but we used the Thetford green stuff last year (came free with the MH) and even "wees only" it ponged. On the other hand this year we've switched to bio liquid and even though we now use the loo for everything it never smells bad (smells quite nice actually.....just like laundry liquid in fact!). And the added bonus that it seems to rinse out easier too - I guess that's the foaming agent in the detergent.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The scent of the Bio masks any smell. We didn't worry if there were any bits left in the cassette as more would be following. Just empty and top up with fresh charge of bio. No need to swill at all if continuing to use the cassette. VWAlan with back me up on this. The old active bugs help break down the fresh stuff quicker.

If I needed to swill I used the grey water rather than wasting fresh drinkable water.

I will back you on that too. Always best not to rinse and certainly never shake it hard, bits fall off. Obviously I clean it out thoroughly if it's not going to be used for a bit.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I don't see what all the fuss is about empting the loo - Les used to make such a thing about it:rolleyes: so I had started to take my turn.

The only thing I would say is that I have to empty every couple of days because I struggle to lift a full cassette.

And fwiw I use bio(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The blue stuff is (theoretically) forbidden on not a few European sites and service points, due to it containing Formaldehyde.

Regardless of blue, green or washing up liquid, two useful tips that may help:

1. Take out your cassette and give it the occasional shake to allow things to submerge and settle evenly, thus extending the gap between emptyings.
2. Always keep your mouth shut when emptying the cassette.

I cannot understand how shaking it can reduce the volume, which is what determines when it needs emptying.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back