Sep 6, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hoping to start soon
Morning All
Having only just acquired our very first MH and currently planning the first venture, we are still at the basic (maybe silly) question stage - please excuse us during the lengthy familiarisation stage!...
We have a Thetford loo on board. Does this mean that we have to use Thetford fluids or can we use alternatives? We are guessing that we can use alternatives but just wanted to check. Also, is anyone able to provide a brief summary of what to do with the blue liquid and what to do with the pink? Is there anything else that we need?
Many thanks in advance!! :unsure:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
You can use any make of toilet fluid in your casette.

You will see that many on here use alternatives like bio washing liquid etc - that's personal choice.

A capful of Blue (sometimes Green if we are environmentally friendly) liquid goes in the waste tank ready to deal with "deposits". A capful of Pink goes in the flush holding tank if it is fitted - our Elddis does not have a seperate toilet flush holding tank so that is not a possibility for us and may not be for you.

You will also find many toilet or "Poo" threads on here as it would appear to be one of the most popular threads.

Enjoy your motorhome!!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have recently changed to bio washing tablets from Lidl as an experiment and found it works well. It is nice and easy to pop in a tablet rather than guess how much blue poured in, or use the cap of the bottle and get a bit of a blue mess if not careful.
I found I got black bits in the flush tank when I left the pink in too long. It took ages to get them out. I don't bother now.
I do use the Thetford seal cleaner to keep that working well.
Like many others, we line the bottom of the bowl with some overlapping paper for solids and we open the seal for a clean "drop" into the cassette.
It is worth using the special quick dissolve paper as normal paper can make the cassette difficult to empty. I stocked up whenALDI had a special camping event.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use whatever blue chemical I find first when I need to buy some. We don't often use the Thetford branded stuff because it's twice the price of all the others. We've tried washing liquid and it's not for us.

As to paper you don't need to buy the "special motorhome and caravan toilet rolls" That's one of the many things where putting "caravan and motorhome" on the packet ramps the price up. We buy the cheapest we can find in the supermarket - Tesco Value or whatever - and it's exactly the same as the Thetford stuff at 4 times the price. It dissolves in exactly the same way.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use bio liquid... we also have a small spray bottle that we use to have a wee spray before flushing. It has bio liquid and water in it.
Obviously bio liquid can cost virtually nothing and is avaliable everywhere.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don't put anything in our 35gal black tank :hot: and the flush comes from the main cold water tank. We can go several weeks without having to empty it. :moon2:

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Like many others, we line the bottom of the bowl with some overlapping paper for solids and we open the seal for a clean "drop" into the cassette.
We have a different system with differing results. We hadnt even thought of the above so we just had a scoring system for accuracy.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
By now the OP will have got the message that there are many different variations in dealing with the same problem.
We've gone onto Fabric Conditioner as our 'Chemical' of choice. (Thanks @Ambilkate).The reasoning for us is simple.
By the time one needs to empty the cassette, that expensive chemical stuff won't have had a chance to work in dissolving the 'deposits' so why pay for something that you will have thrown away before it gets a chance to work.
Fabric Conditioner masks the whiffs sufficiently until it's emptying time.
Cost difference? Blue is about £10 for 2 Lts, Conditioner £2 for the same quantity but with less usage per cassette than Blue.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have a different system with differing results. We hadnt even thought of the above so we just had a scoring system for accuracy.
i m expecting a trip to Coventry after this post but here goes......... i got caught cheating by marking the floor for the best foot position to create the angle for a clean and efficient drop.

Jim, My apologies in advance for when i am reported !

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
SOG s are ok for those using them at 04.00, not so good for the motorhome parked next to them with the window on nightlatch, woke up thinking i was eating the stuff.Are they eant to have a filter? if so the Dutch couple in the next pitch either had none or it needed changing. First thing I look for before choosing a pitch now

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A warm welcome to Motorhome Fun(y)
After fails and successes with toilet products, we now only use the green bio wash squidgy Lidle capsules. Beware if you have just stopped using chemicals, any residual chemicals will kill the bio tablets, so make sure you give the cassette a thorough flush-out before you change to the bio capsules.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back