Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We have done the NC500 and we have never wild camped before. We both enjoyed the experience and would liked to have done it more than we did. The thing that held us back was the need to empty the cassette .how do others cope with this ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Particularly when in the remote Highlands and islands, but good practice elsewhere is not use Elsan or similar, Bio washing stuff is equally as good and possibly cheaper, certainly smells nicer, (going in at least), some small treatment systems just cant cope with the chemicals

We also use a site every few nights, but have found a lot of Cal Mac terminals have a dump option

We have a 120 litre black tank and also carry a spare cassette for emergency use

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Use no chemicals use spray to flush pee out side or in a bucket lades and if remote enough dig a hole and bury it
the worms will love it
bury under hedges and brambles if you went back three week later the will be nothing left just make-sure your well away from any water coerce
It will naturally compost if put in the ground obviously off the track a bit
bill

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I done the NC500 last year and wild camped most of it, just stayed on a site every 3-4 days, I'm getting a spare cassette for future wild camping for longer. I tried emptying a full cassette in a public toilet once, WOW IT WAS HORRIFIC!!! take my word for it "don't ever try it" :/

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Another one for a spare cassette. I met a guy in Greece (wild camping paradise) who actually had a total of 4 cassettes. If you are shy about using public loos (and with practice even the cleaner won't notice you have been) use a big bag like those blue Ikea ones you see to carry your cassette.

I also use green bio fluid and carry a collapsible army type shovel although I have only had to take that route twice in 5 years. Both times in relative wilderness and well away from a water course.

Dick

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
All of the above. ( well some , now I've read them back after doing my post Hahah)
Plus our cassette seems to be a lot bigger than most we've seen being emptied by the roadside and in people's gardens too ! So we can fit more in it!
:wink: @SHARON JOHN :rofl:
That's one of the reasons Ralph chose to fit it on Pug.
https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/c400/
We didn't have a problem in the 3 weeks we took to do the NC500 as we didn't wild camp as much as normal , we used a few sites.
Edit
Here's our trip
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Well We found 36hours was the max between empties was the max for us. My mrs always said I was full of s--t.:LOL:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I did ask at the TIC just south of Inverness if I could empty my (non-chemical) toilet in the public loos on their site. "No" but they did dish out leaflets saying you could dig a hole and bury it!

To compound the situation, I was told that the toilets didn't belong to the TIC.

Gordon

PS Like most others, it was a case of a campsite every 2-3days (plus the aire at Kinlochbervie).
PPS Now got 2 cassettes.
PPPS There is a lovely grass parking area with some nice loos just south of Alnwick: the bowls are made from a white composite material which is stained an interesting shade of blue.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We use public toilets
Afterwards I clean the toilet fully with toilet
cleaner and use Air spray
in general we leave the toilets far nice than we found them

As for what we put in our toilet tank
We use brewers yeast tablets (four of them ) instead of toilet fluid.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We wildcamp/Aires/Stellplatz 95% 0f the time.

Of course Aires in France make the problem easier because even if not staying one can use the unlocked dump points.

Our other solutions are

1 Spare cassette(may get a third)

2 Some countries have motorways with bus toilet discharge grids.

3 Call at small private campsites and ask - most have let us dump for free, or a modest fee or a 'drop' in their charity box.

4 Public toilets when nobody around. Not had cheek to use supermarkets.

5 We carry folding shovel to be used in remote areas; boy scout method, away from watercources - cut remove turf, dig deep, deposit, fill back, replace turf. The cattle, sheep, deer and foxes do not even do that;):D Only did it twice in 6 years - both in remote parts of Scotland.

Geoff

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Just eat bran and after a few days, you will be passing something that resembles a bric-et. These can then be dried and used on a log burner or bbq or as a chew toy for the dog:D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
those saying they have dug a hole, must have chosen a much better place than we did as scouts and cadets (1960's) (its what we did) o_O

hole in the ground is sometimes nearly impossible, really need soft ground which tends to only be by water, but even then fill hole with contents of cassette and then what?? nothing will happen, you will simply have a poo puddle, it will take days to soak away in most cases, so how do you refill and leave as though you have not been there ?

Scotland especially seems to be 99% rock no chance of hole digging without dynamite

Much as I don't really approve, better to use public loos, but please if loos or hole in the ground no chemicals

I fear some may simply use behind the hedge :(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We carry a spare cassette, but as we mainly tour in France/Spain we have only had to use the spare once.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
There seems to be a view that proper disposal on a camp site has some magical property to stop everything ending up in the sewage system. Everyone seems comfortable with dog owners collecting dog poo in a plastic bag and disposing of it in the general rubbish. I take the same approach. We use bin liners in the toilet for number 2s and just let wee go in the toilet cassette. I have no problems disposing of the cassette in public toilets. We do not mix chemicals with it. If anybody sees things differently they need to confirm that they would never have a wee behind the bushes.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I've got four 3 litre bottles of "Comfort" wash softener,,, never pizz in the cassette,,, get lots of different looks on ma way to the dump point, but hey,,, its for comfort,,, init,?!!! (y):D:D:D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There seems to be a view that proper disposal on a camp site has some magical property to stop everything ending up in the sewage system. Everyone seems comfortable with dog owners collecting dog poo in a plastic bag and disposing of it in the general rubbish. I take the same approach. We use bin liners in the toilet for number 2s and just let wee go in the toilet cassette. I have no problems disposing of the cassette in public toilets. We do not mix chemicals with it. If anybody sees things differently they need to confirm that they would never have a wee behind the bushes.
So do you put your no2's in the general rubbish (in the bin liner)

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Just as an aside, I can recall seeing a tenter washing up under the Elsan point hose one morning in Cornwall (!!!!!) Another site in Devon, the shower doors had large gaps underneath and again saw a lady washing the cornflake bowls up beneath the door. Urghhh !!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Just as an aside, I can recall seeing a tenter washing up under the Elsan point hose one morning in Cornwall (!!!!!) Another site in Devon, the shower doors had large gaps underneath and again saw a lady washing the cornflake bowls up beneath the door. Urghhh !!

Don't understand why they would need to do that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back