Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Hello fellow Globecar owners,
We take delivery of our new Globescout plus next Monday.
I am wondering if the toilet compartment ( which appears to be mostly wood) would benefit from a coat of yacht varnish to protect the wood from shower splashes etc. Has anyone done this or, after a couple of years of ownership, thought they should have done it?

Cheers,
Andy

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andy,

Your Globecar should be OK since the wood configuration is specifically designed for the job in hand.

Also, I would be very careful about what modifications you do to your van during its 2-year warranty period as you may find yourself voiding the warranty.

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I wouldn't want to screw up that nice factory finish with my hand applied varnish. I would expect any factory finish to be suited to it's environment for a number of years so your wc / shower area will stand a bit of splashing and higher humidity from use. Just wipe down after use. Of course, once a few years old things might start to look a bit different but then any finish will eventually wear.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I know nothing specifically about Globescout but I would not go fixing a problem that probably doesn’t exist. You could well end up damaging the value and it is not something you can easily remove.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Hello fellow Globecar owners,
We take delivery of our new Globescout plus next Monday.
I am wondering if the toilet compartment ( which appears to be mostly wood) would benefit from a coat of yacht varnish to protect the wood from shower splashes etc. Has anyone done this or, after a couple of years of ownership, thought they should have done it?

Cheers,
Andy
Most motorhome 'wood' is plywood with a waterproof patterned plastic veneer, in your case this is a wood pattern. Being plastic it will be waterproof. Of course the edges will not be waterproof so manufaturers usualy take care to make sure water cannot touch the edges. If in doubt find a hidden section of the 'wood' and hold something hot against it such as a soldering iron, the top layer will melt if it is plastic.
You could ask the seller to assure you the area is waterproof.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'd varnish the underside of the shower tray

OP
OP
A

andart

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Thanks for all your replies - looks like a job to forget although I will have a look at the shower tray cover to see if it is sealed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for all your replies - looks like a job to forget although I will have a look at the shower tray cover to see if it is sealed.
On our last Globecar shower tray cover I put some self-adhesive foam (a bit like window draught seal stuff) all around the underneath edge where it sat on the lip, this ensured it didn't move at all when travelling so prevented it chafing the top of the shower tray and obviously when we stood on it if there was a bit of sand etc under the edges it didn't get pushed it into the shower tray surface.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Can I suggest that you make sure the plug is in the drain hole of the shower base. Mine was not and I had to hunt through my box of 'its something t do with the motorhome, I think' Besides being where it is needed for showering it also helps block the drain smell from a waste water tank you forgot to empty in hot weather!

Ed 57

Free Member
Jan 10, 2018
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1987 but Still learning
Our Possl 2win, (same as the Globescout) is now 10 years old and is as new. So I would not bother with any treatments. But plugs in the shower tray are essential.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back