Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Following the threads last week on bio liquid as a replacement for Thetford products, we first used bio liquid on a trip to Germany?Luxembourg/Belgium we have just returned from, I have to say we were very disappoinnted with the fluid, it didn't perform as well as Thetford at breaking down the waste, I spoke to other M/H owners along the Mosel, and they mostly said that they too preferred Thetford chemicals for the same reason, did we buy the right stuff,(Sainsburys concentrated bio liquid), had to buy the dear bottle (£4.40), as they didn't have basics, only powder in basics, or are we expecting too much.??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used the basics/smartprice from Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons (all now £1.60 a litre) and the equivalent from Poundstretcher when it was on offer. I use about 1.5-2 capfuls plus a litre of water to prime the empty cassette and empty the cassette daily. All have performed at least as well as Thetford blue and green chemicals and Elsan Bio which I've used in the past and no annoying chemical smell.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We use Tesco stuff. Its smells alright and it's £1.00 a litre!

10% discount with Shell being staff too!!:thumb:

It always seems to break down solids OK, mind you we have a heater duct under the cassette, the heat probably helps the biological action!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Management didnt like the smell of the cheap Tesco stuff so standardised on Sainsbury's own brand - IMO works better than the Thetford product and smells better

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
What I would stress is when using Bio to change daily as others have said or certainly no more than two days. I use Tesco or Aldi Bio.:thumb:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Thetford Blue And The Thetford Aqua Rinse is a must for our motorhome, just seems to do the trick for us, breaking down the ---- and keeps the smells at bay:thumb: We did try the the Bio stuff but i think if we had emptied it more often it may of been ok, just lazy i guess:Smile: our toilet waste tank is quite big though for the size of our motorhome:thumb:

:Cool:ROB&JANE:Cool:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We use Tesco stuff. Its smells alright and it's £1.00 a litre!

[HI]10% discount with Shell being staff too!![/HI]:thumb:

It always seems to break down solids OK, mind you we have a heater duct under the cassette, the heat probably helps the biological action!

Did you really want to admit to that in full view of Shifty?:winky:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
If you're going to empty the cassette every 24-36 hours, as is likely with the average modest capacity unit, it wouldn't seem to make much odds whether you use blue/green liquid or bio products.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used the cheap bio for a long time, breaks everything down fine ::bigsmile:. Our loo will only do use a max of 48hours without emptying though (we have a spare cassette in case we can't).
Perhaps the expensive stuff doesn't work so well.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we do not have these problems in Yanks

We put in a little packet of powder .. drop it down the toilet..add a little water and we have no smells.. we vent out of the roof of the RV and we empty about once a week. I always sit there and watch all these people lugging cassette each day to the dump point..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. not very civilised ..... even in France we can find a drive over or use the on board macerator and just drop a hose down a hole.. mine is 60' long.... one of the reasons I have an RV and not a euro box.

I know of a lot that do not even add anything to there holding tanks.

Bob:winky:

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
we empty about once a week.

The terrible though of a RTC just before siting (yes I said siting as in parking up again) and emptying springs to mind, those poor Firefighters cutting you out! :ROFLMAO: At least they'd be plenty of substitute airbags flying about :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst an awful lot of folk now use the bio washing stuff from Sainsburys, we tried it and did not get on with it at all..

No smells in the van, but my goodness, I just could not handle the odours when emptying.

Having tried a few different chemicals I now stick to the Elsan stuff at ABOUT £14.00 for 4 litres
We do have a SOG fitted which helps no end and in theory SHOULD mean no chemicals required, but for the sake of my olfactory system I do still use the blue ( though in vastly reduced amounts.. A 4 ltr bottle lasts an average of 12 to 14 months which equates to about 8 to 9 months van time )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a kind of dog

Whilst an awful lot of folk now use the bio washing stuff from Sainsburys, we tried it and did not get on with it at all..

No smells in the van, but my goodness, I just could not handle the odours when emptying.

Having tried a few different chemicals I now stick to the Elsan stuff at ABOUT £14.00 for 4 litres
We do have a SOG fitted which helps no end and in theory SHOULD mean no chemicals required, but for the sake of my olfactory system I do still use the blue ( though in vastly reduced amounts.. A 4 ltr bottle lasts an average of 12 to 14 months which equates to about 8 to 9 months van time )

On RV's or yanks we have a kind of SOG fitted .. they vent up and out of the roof.. As I said in an earlier post a lot of RV owners d not use anything in the holding tanks. SWMBO puts one of these packets in we get from the USA (to make it smell nice:winky:)... but even with 5 days use I have never noticed any smells.

The use of a macerator and a 60' hose means even when you discharge the waste it is unusual to smell anything. The macerators have a back hose system so you can attach a water hose to flush out the holding tank and let the water back down the macerator hose to the dump point. When there has not been a suitable dump point we discharge to a big tote unit and then drag that to a dump point.. I use the disabled scooter to do that. But I could not be doing it every day. or messing about with all these Bio things. Just seems a lot of hard work to me.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

JenniferAK

Free Member
May 14, 2012
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
i buy the regular toilet blocks on a card from the poundshop, i think youcan get blue or green, place them in a poly bag , freeze them, then grate them, they do not grate unless frozen, dissolve in hot water, put in chemical bottle or four pint milk carton, top up with water, and there it is done. Just remember to give the bottle a good shake before using.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Does toilet waste have to be 'broken down'?

After all if you have a 'dump' and then decide to empty the cassette five minutes later then no chemical additive is going to work that fast.
After over 40 years of experience with portable toilets of all makes there has never been a blockage problem.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we only use a macerator if no dump point

The RV holding tanks.. you are talking 26 gallons.. holds a lot... we do not add anything to break it down.. SWMBO puts a packet of whatever it is in to just make the smell in the pan better.. the tank is under the RV some way down.

The macerator is used to break the contents down to water if there is no proper dump point within the range of the hose we carry (60' high pressure 8 bar flat) ... but we can just use the 3" standard hose that RV's use to drop direct into a drive over or dump valve beside the RV...

I like wise do not understand the need to add all these Bio's if you are dumping the contents every day.. we can last 5 to 8 days and never have these issues.. is it something that the marketing people have latched on t.. sell lots of BIO motor home owners will pay silly money for it.

OK if it works for you fine, but if we spend £10 a season for toilet items that is a lot... in fact the last purchase at Malvern was £9.00 first for 2012 year at the end of the season.

I think it is a con trick myself. I can understand a SOG unit .. that does a job. But all this BIO and green stand seems to me to be making money for the big companies.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back