DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here is a quote from our local authority on use of bio in septic tanks as you see it can damage the reaction and stop solids breaking down its perfectly ok in main sewers but for the environmentally friendly amongst us its a no no:)

"Products such as bleach, chemical
cleaners and biological washing
powders should be avoided or used
sparingly as these reduce biological
activity and affects the efficiency of
the system."
We have a septic tank, or more accurately a sort of mini-sewage plant and my wife uses bio washing liquid when needed and the tank is working fine. We know this because when it isn't it let's us know by stinking!

The trick is to use bio liquid in moderation. If you were running a laundry using bio it would be damaging but a few loads a week are not a problem - it gets well diluted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes you probably have a digester which is a mini sewage plant which treats your sewage and the outflow is clean water just as a treatment works,it does not create a crust where the bacteria live.:)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi all,remember reading somewhere some alternatives to the blue chemical you out in your toilet cassette.Cant find them anywhere now anyone help?
Thanks Steve....
Go SOG, save the planet, and yourself money in the long term.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi everyone
We think we have a better suggestion than those above (not our idea but a friends) it works brilliantly
After emptying your toilet cassette.
Drop in in (warm weather) 3 brewers yeast tablets
Cold weather 4 tablets
Freezing weather as in the alps in winter 5 tablets

use the toilet as normally.

Advantages a bottle of 500 tablets costs abut £7
thats on average 130 to 180 odd emptying of cassettes.
They are light to carry around
They don't spill
They are non toxic
You can buy enough for a years journey without re-stocking

Absolutely brilliant
Kev

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi @kev1 and :welc:
What a brilliant first post!
That sounds like a great idea - has anybody tried it? I expect @HappyBrewer can explain how it works!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi CWH we are passing the word around
our friends have used them for years
we have been using them for the last 3 years
Kev
Oh they don't damage septic tank microbes either it's a win win all round

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
As with most home brewing
some is excellent
some gets better the more you consume and some
you would never touch under any circumstances
however!!
mixed with a single malt yummee!!!!!!!!!!1

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm curious about this.......... any more details please ? Does the yeast break down solids and reduce nasty niffs ?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Septic tanks

Not always true. Septic tanks work on the basis that the bacteria within them breaks down the waste matter. Biological washing powders destroy the bacteria.

Chuck a dead rabbit or the odd rat in it - that'll easily outweigh any effect of the small amount of wash-liquid :whistle:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Arbre vert, Rainett, Ecodoo, Bionatura ... an endless selection here ... doesn't have to come from Lidl/Aldi ...

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Chuck a dead rabbit or the odd rat in it - that'll easily outweigh any effect of the small amount of wash-liquid :whistle:
Tell me why they don't sell bio powders in Spain then, where their drainage is predominantly tanked??;)

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Right, When I toured the U.S. in a very large MH I was given this formula.

Take a gallon container and into it put,

1. Cup of ammonia.
2. Cup of Pine disinfectant.
3. Cup of clothes softener ie Luxor.
4. Cup of Coca Cola (don't ask me why).
5. Cup biological washing liquid.

Top up with clean water to the gallon mark and serve with ice and tonic water, sorry I was thinking of something else!!!

Use as normal blue liquid.
But remember folks, a US 'Gallon' is four fifths of a 'PROPER' Gallon.
Wouldn't want you watering the above recipe down too much by putting in too much water.o_Oo_Oo_O

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Tell me why they don't sell bio powders in Spain then, where their drainage is predominantly tanked??;)

We use and have used for some time the little Bio Sachets from Lidle or Aldi. In Spain they come in the green boxes, even Mercadonna sell them as far as I know.
In the past, several people have given up trying the Bio liquid or powder, because the smell remains. This is because there are remnants of the powerful chemicals they used before. For the Bio powders or sachets to work, the cassette must be very well washed out before trying the Bio out.
How long will it be before Thetford 'discover' a new cheaper bio solution?

Alan

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Not convinced about the smell being due to remaining chemicals.
Our brand new thetford only had a mix of urine and biological (lidl) washing liquid. The smell was a bit of a passion killer to be honest. :D
I did empty the thing every 24-36 hours, rinsed copiously and encouraged everyone to close the blade after use, but it was pretty horrid!
Will try sealing with a layer of water as suggested yesterday and see how that goes.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
When we have facilities to empty & rinse daily we do so & don't add anything at all. No problem for two people but probably not great for a family with kids.
We use liquid bio if we can't empty daily with no probs so far.
Picked up a few tricks by talking to wild campers in Portugal.
The main one that we found very effective was do not pee in the loo!
Amazingly this allowed us to stay near the beach until more drinking water was needed, about 6 days!
It seems to be the pee is what makes everything smell so bad.
During the day I simply "went for a walk" & at night we both used an empty water bottle( clearly marked for the purpose).
I was amazed my very lady like wife would even contemplate this but it turns out she'd rather stay at the beach as long as possible (she never "went for a walk" of course).

Deleted User
When we have facilities to empty & rinse daily we do so & don't add anything at all. No problem for two people but probably not great for a family with kids.
We use liquid bio if we can't empty daily with no probs so far.
Picked up a few tricks by talking to wild campers in Portugal.
The main one that we found very effective was do not pee in the loo!
Amazingly this allowed us to stay near the beach until more drinking water was needed, about 6 days!
It seems to be the pee is what makes everything smell so bad.
During the day I simply "went for a walk" & at night we both used an empty water bottle( clearly marked for the purpose).
I was amazed my very lady like wife would even contemplate this but it turns out she'd rather stay at the beach as long as possible (she never "went for a walk" of course).
At the beach we just go for a swim if we need a wee :p, only in the sea though, never swimming pools :D

Lin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
These sog thingys maybe ok when you are useing them but what's it smell like when you empty them

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not convinced about the smell being due to remaining chemicals.
Our brand new thetford only had a mix of urine and biological (lidl) washing liquid. The smell was a bit of a passion killer to be honest. :D
I did empty the thing every 24-36 hours, rinsed copiously and encouraged everyone to close the blade after use, but it was pretty horrid!
Will try sealing with a layer of water as suggested yesterday and see how that goes.

Sorry to continue this rather odious subject but as you had no residual chemicals, the process should work. The smell was not from the remaining chemicals, the chemicals kill the Bio fluids which prevent them working.
Always leave a layer of water in the bowl, with the blade shut. I have been using a single Aerial (or other) Bio (green) little jelly cartridge and dropped it into the tank with just a little water to dissolve the packet. I am using a rose scented bio at the moment and can honestly tell you that after a couple of days use, what comes out smells like roses. This is not a smell I like all that much but compared to the strong chemical smells that can make my eyes water, it is excellent. If there is any poo in there, after a couple of days it is pure liquid, not very attractive to look at but still with no strong unpleasant smell. I know because I emptied mine yesterday after forgetting to empty it since the Newark show several weeks ago.
I do hope you have more success in the future.

Alan

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Thank you, Alan. The water layer was the thing I missed.
Hmmm, rose-scented bio liquid? I'm mad about roses; our garden's full of David Austen-bred types. Really must find a site near to his nursery in June. :D

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I'd just rather use blue.. not too expensive really considering the alternatives and just works.

If your away for a lengthy period it can work out VERY expensive compared to bio etc.

Plus not using formaldehyde is a bonus for everyone, horrible stuff.

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976
LITTLE TIP our seal gave up this year while in marec so quite smelly could'nt getone for awhile so got balloons one filled with water does the job and will seal well enough . :moon2: STAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back