Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I have A Thetford toilet. The cassette is jammed in. The blade lever is stuck and I’m unsure how to resolve this. I’m in Portugal and can’t find a Thetford agent to help. Any ideas?

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
You have closed it properly from inside I take it. Nearly pulled the handle off my cassette before I realised I hadn't closed it tightly enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Lift the cassette release clip, apply a pullling pressure force and then go in and out{ rattle it } out until the cassette comes out.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Had precisely the same problem in Switzerland a few years back. We were able to find a Thetford agent not too far away at a large dealership.

2 technicians took about 20 mins to get the cassette out with a struggle.

The flap mechanism had come apart. They dismantled, cleaned and lubricated and put it all back together again, which took another 10 mins - they knew what they were doing. ;)

Relived us of 35 euro and we were all sorted in a little over half an hour. Thought the charge was reasonable for Switzerland, especially as they dropped the jobs they were doing to help us. :)(y)

Anyway, same problem occured next day - but we managed to sort ourselves.

We reckoned the problem occured during the day when we'd travelled up mountains and the pressure in the cassette had changed with altitude, and sealed the trap shut.

Upshot:

1.We always now travel with the flap ajar.

2. Also carry a new spare flap mechanism.

Never had a problem since.

Finally, just to add - it's possible there should be a breather on the cassette to avoid such problems - and on that van the breather had malfunctioned??

Hope you can get it fixed, otherwise it's a bummer... ;)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Okay, back to his first post.

Is the flap (inside the van) properly closed? If not the cassette will not come out without the use of (damaging) force. Try opening/closing a few times if it's free.

Happened to us once when a screw came loose in the flap mechanism, fortunately I was able to "rattle" it out - puzzled me for a few minutes when I found a loose screw in the cassette compartment.

I believe it is possible to lift the bowl assembly off the top, which might give you better access, although I have never heard of anyone actually doing it.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Thanks for all the advice! Managed to get the cassette out with a little persuasion. Utube was a great help in showing how to reassemble the slider which had come off. Put back together now alll working. Back to utube and found how to remove ratchet which was not aligning with slider. Fixed that and now all is working as it should. Thanks for all the help and advice! Now can peee in peace!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back