Today is the day the steel was cut for Brittany Ferries New Ship, Honfleur (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Bonjour everyone,

Today the first steel is being cut for our next ship Honfleur. The ceremony is taking place at the Flensburg shipyard in Germany and it's the start of a production process that has been long in the planning. Now those plans will - literally - start to take shape!

The £175m investment in Honfleur is the start of a fleet renewal process, an illustration of our commitment to you and the routes we serve. Honfleur's arrival in 2019 on Portsmouth-Caen will then be followed by a second ship that will begin her charter with us for the 2021 season. She will serve Spanish routes, but more of her to come in future newsletters.

From steel to ship in just over a year

I've been involved in shipping for many years, but I am still struck by the speed with which a vessel can rise from flat sheets of steel to become a fully functioning passenger ship. It's just one of the stories we want to tell during Honfleur's build and we have launched a new microsite to do it. If you do nothing else, scroll through the gallery: we commissioned beautiful pictures to illustrate the shipbuilding process.

It's not just about emissions

One of Honfleur's talking points is the LNG (liquefied natural gas) that will fuel her. It comes with clear environmental benefits particular around ports, with far lower emissions of air quality pollutants. But it will also help make the journey more enjoyable and relaxing for passengers. That's thanks to the way power is delivered to propellers (engineers may be familiar with "diesel-electric" hybrid powertrains) meaning less vibration, less noise and a smoother ride for everyone.

FIND OUT MORE

Relax – it's a Brittany Ferries ferry

Access to and from car decks to passenger has been a priority for our ship's architect Brice Robinson as you'll read on the website. So too is digital innovation and Honfleur will come with an interactive Travel Lounge, where you'll be able to book tickets, check connections and find out more about where you are going. But we haven't forgotten that switching off is important, particularly to Club Voyage Members. So I hope this first rendering of a deluxe cabin will take you to a future where delightful duvet days are just as important as staying connected.

Honfleur en route

Honfleur the ship may be en route, but Honfleur the destination continues to offer something for everyone today. Beyond the colourful water-fronted buildings and the famous wooden church something altogether more modern has been added to the menu of attractions. An outlet shopping centre has opened, and by all accounts it's well worth a visit - if banter and bargains are your thing.

Premium Wi-Fi for Mont St Michel

Mont St Michel will serve as Honfleur's sister ship on Portsmouth-Caen come 2019. But I'm delighted to confirm an upgrade to connectivity for those travelling today. Three premium Wi-Fi payment packages are now available on Mont St Michel to help boost your browsing. Many of you have already used this service on Cap Finistère with positive feedback. Of course, free Wi-Fi will continue to be offered on Mont St Michel – as it is on all other Brittany Ferries' ships.

Your memories of Bretagne

Next year Bretagne will be marking 30 years of sailing with Brittany Ferries. To celebrate her long service, we're aiming to produce a book about this wonderful ship. Bretagne was Brittany Ferries' first purpose-built cruise-ferry. She's a firm favourite with many crew members and staff and a special ship for many of her loyal passengers too, which is why we're looking for contributions from you for the new book. If you have any special memories, stories or pictures from your travels aboard Bretagne, we'd love to hear from you at memories@brittanyferries.com.

For those members in the south west, it is worth noting that Bretagne will be operating from Plymouth to Roscoff from now until 26 March. I travelled on her last night and she continues to offer good comfort and excellent service. A great option if you are planning on travelling in the next two weeks.

Spring offers

Spring is almost upon us and whether you need to blow away those winter cobwebs or simply thaw out, I wonder if I can tempt you with our range of spring offers? Whether you are looking for up to 4 days in France from £69pp or a long weekend to open up your property. Or perhaps you could treat yourself to a break in a hotel selected as favourites by our customers. Personally, I plan to take advantage of a gourmet cruise, I'm a big fan of Cancale's famous oysters.

Terms and Conditions update

As a valued member of Club Voyage it is important that you know that we have recently amended our General Ferry Terms and Conditions. This is more reflective of the market in which we operate; of other European transport providers and the experience offered to customers. We hope that you agree that our revised terms and conditions remain generous by comparison. In summary, the deposit required to secure your sailing will now be 25% of the value of the booking with final payment required 60 days prior to your departure. This applies to new bookings only.

Thank you for your custom and we look forward to seeing you on board.

Kind regards,

Simon Johnson
Commercial Director

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
25%off for funsters over 21 years old That would be a good start.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back