Today at the weighbridge. (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi I was interested in getting a larger water tank for our MH , where did u get yours from , or was it bought and installed by a dealer?
I used Barrett tanks for 2 bespoke tanks, and bought two ready made from CAK tanks , they have a long list of shapes etc .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't travel with a full water tank as each litre is one kilo, travel with enough to get to your destination and fill up for the night. Our van handbook says only travel with maximum of one third (out of 150litres). Also make sure you have emptied the waste as same applies to the weight.
some of us don't have a destination so fill tio full & dump at every opportunity
Who does the weight testing is it done by the government randomly in a lay-by and is it n France only?
Purpose built weigh stations normally . here & there in the Uk in France far more prevalent + they will occasionally use lay bys with portable weigh cells.
Spain there are weigh bridges everywhere. whether they are used regularly is another matter but the are purpose built & standalone. Additionally every builders merchant has a weighbridge + there are private weigh bridges at up to 70T in many places. In a 5km radius of where I live I can probably come up with 20 x 70T certified weigh bridges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MG
Exp
6 years
I dropped my 6.0m ih ducato on the weigh bridge the other day with me, full diesel, 50% water, empty fridge and no awning or passenger, came in at 3260kg

I've since bought a set of portable scales so I can keep an eye on the weight more consistently

How do the measurements you make with the portable scales compare with the weighbridge reading (assuming you weighed the same load on both)? Close enough? I like the idea of having some scales to check axle weights as we change our load quite a bit depending on where we are going and for how long. Worried about accuracy of these scales though. Reviews on Amazon are not great and one review claims a 70KG difference (under reading) to previously recorded weight. That's too much to be useful.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Reviews on Amazon are not great and one review claims a 70KG difference (under reading) to previously recorded weight. That's too much to be useful.
There are rated up to 1500kg so 70kg is only 4.6%. I would say that is pretty accurate for that type of device especially at that price.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
I was right at the MAM limit of 4500kg at the weighbridge so i paid a few pennies to SV Tech and they uprated to 5250kg as a paper exercise. Just need to stick it on and I've got a spare 750kg - bargain!

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
How do the measurements you make with the portable scales compare with the weighbridge reading (assuming you weighed the same load on both)? Close enough? I like the idea of having some scales to check axle weights as we change our load quite a bit depending on where we are going and for how long. Worried about accuracy of these scales though. Reviews on Amazon are not great and one review claims a 70KG difference (under reading) to previously recorded weight. That's too much to be useful.

I haven't had the opportunity to check my portable scales against the weigh bridge as of yet, but I weighed my van and the brother in laws vans yesterday morning before fully loaded before setting off for a weeks trip and they were both under what we'd expected compared to what we'd recently ran over the weigh bridge - so either these are reading low, or the weigh bridge high! Going to compare against another local weigh bridge soon.

Rather annoying as I bought these portable scales as being that accurate from the factory that the German police use them for roadside checks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I haven't had the opportunity to check my portable scales against the weigh bridge as of yet, but I weighed my van and the brother in laws vans yesterday morning before fully loaded before setting off for a weeks trip and they were both under what we'd expected compared to what we'd recently ran over the weigh bridge - so either these are reading low, or the weigh bridge high! Going to compare against another local weigh bridge soon.

Rather annoying as I bought these portable scales as being that accurate from the factory that the German police use them for roadside checks
I have a set and always checked against weigh bridge first few times and they proved to be quite close, now have van with Goldschmidt full air and can weigh with them now.😊

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Fill it full of helium balloons. That'll allow a lot more beer :)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I thought it was a legal requirement that public weighbridges are calibrated on a regular basis, therefore they should be quite accurate?????

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I thought it was a legal requirement that public weighbridges are calibrated on a regular basis, therefore they should be quite accurate?????

Public ones yes, but some companies will let you use private ones, which are often used for charging customers, e.g. scrap metal merchants are not definitive of vehicle weight, only differential between lorry empty and with load. Those probably do not need to ne calibrated.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Public ones yes, but some companies will let you use private ones, which are often used for charging customers, e.g. scrap metal merchants are not definitive of vehicle weight, only differential between lorry empty and with load. Those probably do not need to ne calibrated.

Geoff
If they are used in any type of commercial charging business,i.e. scrap yard that have to be certified regularly.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Ebay has new 8x3m weighbridges, only £8,900 installed and stamped for trade use. Perhaps those who can afford £100,000 motorhomes can club together to get one. Oh, of course they are broke now having bought their mototorhome.:giggle::giggle:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

They will be quite ‘accurate‘ (e.g. plus/minus 2%) but, since they may be rated to 50 tonnes, may have a poor ‘resolution’, i.e. being able to display only in increments of, for example, 25Kg or 50Kg).

Weighing apparatus that has a much lower max weight capability (e.g. 1.5 tonnes) may have a poorer accuracy (e.g. plus/minus 5%) but a much better resolution (e.g. to 1Kg).

Good Resolution doesn't necessarily mean good accuracy.

Given this, it’s difficult to compare the readings from the two devices.

Ian

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Alternative contact for uprating paperwork, roughly half the cost of SVTech:

Just had my paperwork from John Ruffles. All done very easily and quickly. I am now sending paperwork to DVLA to get V5C changed so I get cheaper Vehicle Tax class for next year. PVC on Ducato Maxi chassis uprated to 4500kg. No need for any suspension uprating or tyre changes. Much cheaper than the price of SV Tech, who also wanted me to fit air assist to beyond 3850kg.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
All public weighbridges are subject to regular trading standards inspection and testing ..... and private weighbridges are not exempt. The bane of most weighbridge keepers are drivers who speed onto the bridge and slam on this sends the plate banging into the frame and the load sensors take a bashing and take ages to settle down . When this used to happen to me as I was a weighbridge keeper ,I used to pretend to be on the phone for ages before I printed the ticket.Most modern weighbridges weigh in 20 kilo steps some insist the driver gets out of the cab and some don’t it’s down to the design of the place , I have seen two wagons go through the plate into the pit underneath .

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Alternative contact for uprating paperwork, roughly half the cost of SVTech:

John Ruffles just did my Campscout which is built on the heavy duty Fiat Chassis. It's standard rating is 4,500kg and is only limited to 3,500 because of dumb (IMO) EU & UK rules. Cost was £180 and we are now rated at 4,500kg. Very quick and efficient. Phone number 01359 250808 email is truckcon@outlook.com

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't travel with a full water tank as each litre is one kilo, travel with enough to get to your destination and fill up for the night. Our van handbook says only travel with maximum of one third (out of 150litres). Also make sure you have emptied the waste as same applies to the weight.
The only reason the handbook says only travel with a little bit of water is to allow the converter to bring down their MIRO and pretend that you have a better payload.

For us the great freedom of motorhoming is that we rarely know in the morning where we are going to end up and whether or not there will be any water there. So, if we can, we always leave with empty waste tanks and full water tanks.

Last edited:

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
And you can buy one of these.
I only paid £130 quid about 4 years ago and they have gone up in price since then, possibly find them cheaper.
You can get them cheaper if you only want to weigh up to 1,000 kgs per wheel but if your axle is 2,000 kgs youre not going to know youre over !
1,500 kgs was the option i went for as van is 4,100 kgs.
£186 delivered.
Amazon product ASIN B00116XAYU
The good news is they only take 1 Kg off your payload if you take them on holiday

I bought it and found it to be a complete joke. Weighting the same wheel at 20 seconds interval would give differences of up to 100 kgs!

Since it was too late to send it back it went to the bin.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong
Ist pic, entry IN bridge
2nd pic off IN bridge
3rd pic entry OUT bridge
4th pic off OUT bridgeView attachment 413142View attachment 413141View attachment 413140View attachment 413143

Westy

Thanks for the pics - I kept looking but nearly missed them.

Those ramps are very much shallower than our local wighbridge.

Maybe I should find another one near here just to check axle weights.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back