Today at the weighbridge. (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm doing all the work myself. You might find it difficult to incorporate such a tank into an existing layout, unless you get a custom tank made to fit a specific spot you have in mind. I got the tank from "online tank store", although you'll find lots of companies with a suspiciously similar set of products available, so they're probably all storefronts for the same underlying company. I took the baffled 210 litre, as it was the same height as my CRX80 fridge, which is what set the bed height, so was very efficient space wise. They also supplied the 65 litre tank I'm using for grey water.
CAK is a good place to start.

Apr 9, 2015
šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Minxy Girl - we just went for a total weight with everything on board that we need for now. As I was sure we would be well overweight as a whole, if you get my meaning. Planning to redistribute when we get to a grown up weighbridge šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To the uninformed in the event you are close to your payload itā€™s a great help to get a few Helium Ballons from your local joke shop! Apparently when placed in the middle of the MH they can lift the MH Obote the wheels by quite a margin thus easing the payload. Just Saying ;)
Some member are so full of hot air they wouldn't need the balloons! :rofl:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have Goldsmchitt Air Suspenion it has weight senors on the axles so I can weigh at any time. :LOL:

I trust that your emoji indicates that you are jesting? Otherwise, how much do you add on to account for your unsprung weight?

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I trust that your emoji indicates that you are jesting? Otherwise, how much do you add on to account for your unsprung weight?

Ian
No it really works, you calibrate it against a weighbridge.

Just measured it, at the moment 75% fuel, no water, only me in it and hardly any clothes, fridge empty & garage about 70kg light of stuff normally in it.
Also slight slope on the drive most accurate on level ground.

IMG20200801185216.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Can anyone please help on this aspect of weighing.

Our local haulage firm used to have a weighbridge with flat approach and exit.

A couple of years ago they installed a new one which has ramps on approach and exit. So now cannot get accurate axle weights.

Does anyone know a rule-of-thumb way of weighing an axle when the other axle is on a ramp, and then applying a factor to the 'inaccurate' axle weight to roughly compensate for the effect of the ramp?

I hope my question is clear.

Geoff

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

A couple of years ago they installed a new one which has ramps on approach and exit. So now cannot get accurate axle weights.

Does anyone know a rule-of-thumb way of weighing an axle when the other axle is on a ramp, and then applying a factor to the 'inaccurate' axle weight to roughly compensate for the effect of the ramp?

Geoff
Geoff I weigh my van at work, we have two weighbridges (1 in, 1 out) with the office in the middle. If you can imagine this, the entry to the IN bridge is flat, the exit of the IN bridge has a ramp off, now the OUT bridge has a ramp ON to it and driving off is level, does that make sense?? Now, Iā€™ve done the axles and total weights on both bridges and there was only one descrepancy of 10-20kg driving off the IN bridge down the ramp to coming off the OUT bridge on the level!!
I hope that all makes some sensešŸ‘
Ady

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Geoff

Why cant you just place the non-weighed axle right on the edge of the weighbridge, before it descends the ramp?

Ian

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Geoff I weigh my van at work, we have two weighbridges (1 in, 1 out) with the office in the middle. If you can imagine this, the entry to the IN bridge is flat, the exit of the IN bridge has a ramp off, now the OUT bridge has a ramp ON to it and driving off is level, does that make sense?? Now, Iā€™ve done the axles and total weights on both bridges and there was only one descrepancy of 10-20kg driving off the IN bridge down the ramp to coming off the OUT bridge on the level!!
I hope that all makes some sensešŸ‘
Ady
Ady

So you are saying the ramp angle makes little difference?

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Geoff

I don't know if this will work for getting the individual axle weights or not but ....
  • place the vehicle on the weighbridge totally so you have the total weight.
  • drive on forwards and place the front on with the rear wheels on the 'ramp' (remember where they were) it will give you a front weight
  • reverse on and place the rear on with the front wheels on the 'ramp' (in the same place as the rear wheels were) it will give you a rear weight
If you then deduct the combination of the 2 axle weights from the total weight and divide what is left by 2 then add halve to each of the axle weights it 'might' give you an idea of what is on each axle.

Mar 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Dethleffs
Exp
Weā€™ve just had a lucky near miss in that department!! Did exactly the same as you .... full tanks of everything, fridge, food, wine and spirits, garage with the kitchen sink etc went to the local weighbridge and came in at 3840. Weā€™d already factored in an up rating but we can do that now as a paper exercise to 3850. Phew!
To be honest, I thought weā€™d be over 4 ton so really pleased to find we are well below that plus a fair bit of wiggle room if we need to stow ...... more wine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Weā€™ve just had a lucky near miss in that department!! Did exactly the same as you .... full tanks of everything, fridge, food, wine and spirits, garage with the kitchen sink etc went to the local weighbridge and came in at 3840. Weā€™d already factored in an up rating but we can do that now as a paper exercise to 3850. Phew!
To be honest, I thought weā€™d be over 4 ton so really pleased to find we are well below that plus a fair bit of wiggle room if we need to stow ...... more wine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hi
When you say its only a paper exercise to increase the max weight to 3850, what do you mean and how do you go about doing it?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There is only about 2-3" of concrete.

Youā€™d only need to be 1ā€ (or less šŸ˜‰) from the edge of the movable platform to get a pretty accurate measurement.

Fiddly, but doable.

Ian

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Two years ago I bought a brand new 6.4m Westfalia PVC on a Ducato without a thought to payload. The agent didnā€™t mention it at all and happily let me spec plenty of extras. Long range fuel tank, extra batteries, awning, solar, spare wheel, remis blinds. Why were all the weights of the extras in the brochure I naively thought? Today, after two years of reading the posts on here I bit the bullet and took it to the weighbridge.
Weā€™re heading off tomorrow for a week so I decided to pack everything I would take on a big trip, worst case, everything I could think of. Somethings I would never take at the same time as other things. Full fuel, full water, bike rack, two bikes, big paddle board, bbq, chairs table etc.. beer,wine, store cupboard basics and a full fridge. Took my son whoā€™s heavier than MrsPG the regular travel partner. No dog.

Phew, lucky me.
3500 bang on, 1730 rear axle with the printout.
Lessons learnt in buying a van and at least now I know. So will have to lose a bit or uprate to get a dog.
Don't travel with a full water tank as each litre is one kilo, travel with enough to get to your destination and fill up for the night. Our van handbook says only travel with maximum of one third (out of 150litres). Also make sure you have emptied the waste as same applies to the weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't travel with a full water tank as each litre is one kilo, travel with enough to get to your destination and fill up for the night. Our van handbook says only travel with maximum of one third (out of 150litres). Also make sure you have emptied the waste as same applies to the weight.
I suspect the restriction to travelling with a third (ie 50L) is because of payload issues, otherwise there'd be no point in fitting a 150L tank in the first place.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Took the Adria Twin to the weighbridge last week . Full fuel / water / +me / Fitted towbar & awning. Came in at 3120kg. Front ws 1540kg & rear 1.56kg. So I have @ 400kg to play with, but will probably uprate at some point in the next year. I think I can go to 3700kg without any mods or 3850kg with air assist which i was planning on doing over winter anyway.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ady

So you are saying the ramp angle makes little difference?

Geoff
In my experience yes, just for clarification Iā€™ll take some pictures tomorrow at work to give you an idea of what I mean, but it was between 10-20kg on one weighšŸ‘

Apr 9, 2015
šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
MarkinWales - we already knew that we had an option to uprate to 4K + with SVTech but that involved new tyres and other stuff plus lah lah lah and then some ...... so .... to get to 3,850kg as a paper exercise based on our current rating plus existing air assist and not so much of the lah lah lah, hence happy days! ;) The paper exercise still comes at a cost but, think itā€™s still minimal compared to the alternative.
SVTech are so helpful ..... if you have any queries, theyā€™ll be more than happy to help, Iā€™m sure.
Sharon x

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi
When you say its only a paper exercise to increase the max weight to 3850, what do you mean and how do you go about doing it?
Alternative contact for uprating paperwork, roughly half the cost of SVTech:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Who does the weight testing is it done by the government randomly in a lay-by and is it n France only?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've seen them on the motorways in Spain checking HGV's.
In the UK DVSA often have purges on routes to Dover, a Guy in the Hymer club got checked at M1 services near Nottingham a few years ago, he got a fine for each axle being over & one for the gross being over and was issued with a ticket that allowed him to proceed to his destination but no further.

OP
OP
MrPG

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
I never travel with full water except when heading into a remote area, perhaps the Scottish Highlands or areas in the Alps. I wouldnā€™t drive all the way up the motorway full, this was just an experiment to see exactly where I was with weight.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
What you may not be aware ,that at stratigic points on a motorway a Stop vehicle (DVSA) on the raised platform just near the coil! Yes it has authority to demand you follow them to an official weigh bridge
The coil weighs each axle whilst on the move, yes really, then it's recorded, not used for enforcement but to give the heads up for a stop and buy one encounter! Yes real.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
And you can buy one of these.
I only paid Ā£130 quid about 4 years ago and they have gone up in price since then, possibly find them cheaper.
You can get them cheaper if you only want to weigh up to 1,000 kgs per wheel but if your axle is 2,000 kgs youre not going to know youre over !
1,500 kgs was the option i went for as van is 4,100 kgs.
Ā£186 delivered.
Amazon product ASIN B00116XAYU
The good news is they only take 1 Kg off your payload if you take them on holiday

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
And you can buy one of these.
I only paid Ā£130 quid about 4 years ago and they have gone up in price since then, possibly find them cheaper.
You can get them cheaper if you only want to weigh up to 1,000 kgs per wheel but if your axle is 2,000 kgs youre not going to know youre over !
1,500 kgs was the option i went for as van is 4,100 kgs.
Ā£186 delivered.
Amazon product ASIN B00116XAYU
The good news is they only take 1 Kg off your payload if you take them on holiday

Look at the discount - 1%. Yippee!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back