Today at the weighbridge. (1 Viewer)

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
Two years ago I bought a brand new 6.4m Westfalia PVC on a Ducato without a thought to payload. The agent didn’t mention it at all and happily let me spec plenty of extras. Long range fuel tank, extra batteries, awning, solar, spare wheel, remis blinds. Why were all the weights of the extras in the brochure I naively thought? Today, after two years of reading the posts on here I bit the bullet and took it to the weighbridge.
We’re heading off tomorrow for a week so I decided to pack everything I would take on a big trip, worst case, everything I could think of. Somethings I would never take at the same time as other things. Full fuel, full water, bike rack, two bikes, big paddle board, bbq, chairs table etc.. beer,wine, store cupboard basics and a full fridge. Took my son who’s heavier than MrsPG the regular travel partner. No dog.

Phew, lucky me.
3500 bang on, 1730 rear axle with the printout.
Lessons learnt in buying a van and at least now I know. So will have to lose a bit or uprate to get a dog.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
We’ve just had a lucky near miss in that department!! Did exactly the same as you .... full tanks of everything, fridge, food, wine and spirits, garage with the kitchen sink etc went to the local weighbridge and came in at 3840. We’d already factored in an up rating but we can do that now as a paper exercise to 3850. Phew!
To be honest, I thought we’d be over 4 ton so really pleased to find we are well below that plus a fair bit of wiggle room if we need to stow ...... more wine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Two years ago I bought a brand new 6.4m Westfalia PVC on a Ducato without a thought to payload. The agent didn’t mention it at all and happily let me spec plenty of extras. Long range fuel tank, extra batteries, awning, solar, spare wheel, remis blinds. Why were all the weights of the extras in the brochure I naively thought? Today, after two years of reading the posts on here I bit the bullet and took it to the weighbridge.
We’re heading off tomorrow for a week so I decided to pack everything I would take on a big trip, worst case, everything I could think of. Somethings I would never take at the same time as other things. Full fuel, full water, bike rack, two bikes, big paddle board, bbq, chairs table etc.. beer,wine, store cupboard basics and a full fridge. Took my son who’s heavier than MrsPG the regular travel partner. No dog.

Phew, lucky me.
Lessons learnt in buying a van and at least now I know. So will have to lose a bit or uprate to get a dog.
Blimey, I'm sure if I had all the stuff you've mentioned, together with full fuel and water in our 6.4m Rapido pvc, I'd be significantly over my 3,500kg limit. :(

Last time I weighed it, with all of our normal stuff, but NO extras like awning, solar, extra batteries etc. And with about 25%-full fresh water and both of us on board, I was circa 3,475kg. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wasn't too distressed to find my 6.2m PVC started with a 4500kg MAM. It weighed 2800kg at the weighbridge with the cell removed. I'm hoping to keep it under 3500kg completely empty of fluids and people. However, it does now have a 210 litre water tank and I could have used thinner wood pretty much everywhere.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I dropped my 6.0m ih ducato on the weigh bridge the other day with me, full diesel, 50% water, empty fridge and no awning or passenger, came in at 3260kg

I've since bought a set of portable scales so I can keep an eye on the weight more consistently

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We’ve just had a lucky near miss in that department!! Did exactly the same as you .... full tanks of everything, fridge, food, wine and spirits, garage with the kitchen sink etc went to the local weighbridge and came in at 3840. We’d already factored in an up rating but we can do that now as a paper exercise to 3850. Phew!
To be honest, I thought we’d be over 4 ton so really pleased to find we are well below that plus a fair bit of wiggle room if we need to stow ...... more wine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What were the individual axle weights?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Phew, lucky me.

Son Kg - MrsPG Kg = dog Kg?

Just a thought :unsure:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I wasn't too distressed to find my 6.2m PVC started with a 4500kg MAM. It weighed 2800kg at the weighbridge with the cell removed. I'm hoping to keep it under 3500kg completely empty of fluids and people. However, it does now have a 210 litre water tank and I could have used thinner wood pretty much everywhere.
Hi I was interested in getting a larger water tank for our MH , where did u get yours from , or was it bought and installed by a dealer?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
MrPG, had you been over the weight limit would you have left your son to walk home???:LOL:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi I was interested in getting a larger water tank for our MH , where did u get yours from , or was it bought and installed by a dealer?

I'm doing all the work myself. You might find it difficult to incorporate such a tank into an existing layout, unless you get a custom tank made to fit a specific spot you have in mind. I got the tank from "online tank store", although you'll find lots of companies with a suspiciously similar set of products available, so they're probably all storefronts for the same underlying company. I took the baffled 210 litre, as it was the same height as my CRX80 fridge, which is what set the bed height, so was very efficient space wise. They also supplied the 65 litre tank I'm using for grey water.

OP
OP
MrPG

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
Plate from Westfalia is 1850 front and 2000 rear and my rear weight was 1730 so I assume all good.
When the tyres need replacing the plan is upgrading those anyway.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
States on his post what the rear was so shouldn’t be to hard to work out front
I asked The Boofles who hadn't put his axle weight in his posting, not Mr PG.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm doing all the work myself. You might find it difficult to incorporate such a tank into an existing layout, unless you get a custom tank made to fit a specific spot you have in mind. I got the tank from "online tank store", although you'll find lots of companies with a suspiciously similar set of products available, so they're probably all storefronts for the same underlying company. I took the baffled 210 litre, as it was the same height as my CRX80 fridge, which is what set the bed height, so was very efficient space wise. They also supplied the 65 litre tank I'm using for grey water.
Sound interesting ... any chance of a shuftie at your conversion? :giggle:

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
Has anyone been weighed on the road, either here or over the water.
My train weight is a max of 7000 kg, but last time I weighed it, I was 200 kg which is about 3% over.
so hope I'd get away with it

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That's what i was thinking. How many and how often do people get stopped. Then how many get taken to a weighbridge. If over by a bit how many get prosecuted/fined?????

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Im about the same as Lenny HB with available payload, fully loaded without Mrs Westy I’m 3880kg total weight which puts me around 300kg spare (Im 4250kg gross) 1800 on the front axle and 2060 on the rear. I’m lucky I can weigh mine anytime as I work in a quarry with two weighbridges👍😁😁

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Has anyone been weighed on the road, either here or over the water.
My train weight is a max of 7000 kg, but last time I weighed it, I was 200 kg which is about 3% over.
so hope I'd get away with it
Yes, December 15th last year just north of Bordeaux on way back here. Waved straight in to a dedicated weigh station .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m lucky I can weigh mine anytime as I work in a quarry with two weighbridges👍😁
I have Goldsmchitt Air Suspenion it has weight senors on the axles so I can weigh at any time. :LOL:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I have Goldsmchitt Air Suspenion it has weight senors on the axles so I can weigh at any time. :LOL:
Is it reliable with the weights (I wouldn’t expect it to be to the kg but is it in the ball park) ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is it reliable with the weights (I wouldn’t expect it to be to the kg but is it in the ball park) ?
I think the tolerance is 5% normally reads about 50kg low which is about 2.5%, you can calibrate it yourself. Good enough for a guide but as we have so much spare payload its only used for fun.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
To the uninformed in the event you are close to your payload it’s a great help to get a few Helium Ballons from your local joke shop! Apparently when placed in the middle of the MH they can lift the MH Obote the wheels by quite a margin thus easing the payload. Just Saying ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back