LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I thought grills were part of the stoves. Our little caravan had twin spinflo stoves with grill underneath, no oven. Takes hardly any extra space up ?
My last German motorhome had just 2 gas rings....that was it
Used one of the flat wire toasters on a ring for a few years but once I had solar I just ran a small toaster off an inverter

terminal15

Free Member
Sep 5, 2018
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg 601K PVC
Exp
Since 2018 with over 30k miles already...!
We have used this type for many years. Works very well on the gas burner in the van or a small portable gas one outside the van for when you have breakfast outside. Also very cheap 6-10€/£View attachment 387587
Same with us - great piece of kit. Though you have to get the crumbs out regularly or enjoy the smoky aroma when cooking the next piece of bread...!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
What do people use to toast bread? I don't want a mains powered toaster but something I can either put on the hob or in the oven. Probably hob actually, the oven takes a bit longer to heat up.

This kind of contraption is available on Amazon for £6 so it's worth a try but I wanted to ask if anyone else has already done the research into perfect toast on the go?
51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg
Hi vantastic,
I have tried that particular "toaster" and found it to be totally useless for making an acceptable piece of toast.
A few posts further down Willinfrance shows a photo of one he has been using for years, I also have this particular one and it's the best I have come across to date. You have to keep an eye on it and move the slices (2)frequently and it will produce an acceptable piece of toast.. I bought mine off a seller on Ebay s few years ago, but I have seen them recently on ebay still at £7.99. hope this helps.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
What do people use to toast bread? I don't want a mains powered toaster but something I can either put on the hob or in the oven. Probably hob actually, the oven takes a bit longer to heat up.

This kind of contraption is available on Amazon for £6 so it's worth a try but I wanted to ask if anyone else has already done the research into perfect toast on the go?
51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg
Hi vantastic,
I have tried that particular "toaster" and found it to be totally useless for making an acceptable piece of toast.
A few posts further down Willinfrance shows a photo of one he has been using for years, I also have this particular one and it's the best I have come across to date. You have to keep an eye on it and move the slices (2)frequently and it will produce an acceptable piece of toast.. I bought mine off a seller on Ebay s few years ago, but I have seen them recently on ebay still at £7.99. hope this helps.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp

51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg
Hi there,
Me again, I have just seen a few on Ebay from £7.9 to £10.50. It was listed under "stove top camping toaster.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Agree, are we missing something or are there people out there without a grill?
The best grill I had was on the full cooker in my auto-trail made great toast, but the van itself was a heap of rubbish couldn't get rid of it quick enough.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
There's only one way to toast bread
A It must be fresh a unsliced bloomer, thick cut and then toasted using a copper toasting fork before a red hot blazing fire.
B Then spread with best Butter or as was our custom of a Saturday night with Browns dripping, salted to taste.
Oh ! happy days , nowadays being Celiac I cannot eat bread with gluten, barred from having Butter, and no longer have a.fire!!
Always knew when I came home from school, if we had a coke fire going it was toast for tea.

demem56

Free Member
Jan 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class

51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg

I've tried the grill, pretty ok results but takes a bit of time.
I've tried frying pan, I'm not a fan of how it turns out.
Looks like I saved £6 by asking the question though so thanks for that!
I've actually used one of these before having from http://besttoasterovenguides.com
go_331349_a

Pretty good results but you can only do one slice at the time
Ridgemonkey looks to be for filled toasts, as in cheese toasties?
I've the batteries and the inverter to run a full size toaster but I'm trying to save space! ?
I am using it for years now. pretty good stuff.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
There's only one way to toast bread
A It must be fresh a unsliced bloomer, thick cut and then toasted using a copper toasting fork before a red hot blazing fire.
B Then spread with best Butter or as was our custom of a Saturday night with Browns dripping, salted to taste.
Oh ! happy days , nowadays being Celiac I cannot eat bread with gluten, barred from having Butter, and no longer have a.fire!!
I’m coeliac too but get Glutafin seeded long life bread on prescription that toasts quite nicely

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
fresh crusty bread from the bakery - no need for toast or

1610146254114.png

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The best grill I had was on the full cooker in my auto-trail made great toast, but the van itself was a heap of rubbish couldn't get rid of it quick enough.
You were lucky! our Autotrail was GARBAGE and so was the grill.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I have used a non stick frying pan, get it really hot first then slap in your bread, turn when it has reached the right colour for you. (we do carry a small electric one for when on hook up. Not tried my ridge monkey but would imagine it is similar to the frying pan.
Tried my Ridgemonkey for toasting a slice, works a treat.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are mostly on EHU so just use an ordinary household toaster, when not on mains electricity a griddle pan makes perfect toast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back