Toasting bread (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
That's like the You were only meant to blow the bloody doors off version of toasting bread! ?
Not the flat roofing type, the cooking type you know where they cheat and say that's cooked proper in the oven but really they blowtorched it for effect.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

Edit, not sure what's going on here, watched this on YouTube a second ago but won't play on here ? It was an '80's clip of Paul Hogan making toast with a blowlamp !

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The grill in our first van was a pain for toasting. It only toasted in the middle meaning you could only shuffle one slice at a time.
The grill on the van we have now is great. Toast evenly and fast. I tested the toast alarm on the first morning. I was in the shower when the alarm went off. I thought ” some idiots burning there toast”. By the time I realised it was our alarm the toast was carbon, black burnt and bu——-ed.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We used to carry an ordinary electric toaster run from inverter. I don't eat bread and swmbo just does hers under the grill so we don't bother to carry it anymore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have used a non stick frying pan, get it really hot first then slap in your bread, turn when it has reached the right colour for you. (we do carry a small electric one for when on hook up. Not tried my ridge monkey but would imagine it is similar to the frying pan.
Non stick cooking surfaces should never be made very hot as it lets off toxic fumes that kill birds oif inhaled by them and causes illness in humans. Just google it if you need more info.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I use my wife to make toast and it often turns out ok ...

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Tried many different toasting appliances- ridge monkey is fantastic IMO ❤️

May 24, 2016
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016 - this time
Non stick cooking surfaces should never be made very hot as it lets off toxic fumes that kill birds oif inhaled by them and causes illness in humans. Just google it if you need more info.
I've got a ceramic frying pan as I also have a pet bird so ditched the Teflon pan. (Not tried it for toast ... Yet.) Will try & remember to use it next time I make toast.

Apr 18, 2015
richmond surrey
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1961
What do people use to toast bread? I don't want a mains powered toaster but something I can either put on the hob or in the oven. Probably hob actually, the oven takes a bit longer to heat up.

This kind of contraption is available on Amazon for £6 so it's worth a try but I wanted to ask if anyone else has already done the research into perfect toast on the go?
51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg

Apr 18, 2015
richmond surrey
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1961
have tried them all. The simple Primus fold out grid is by far the best, and fastest if you preheat for few minutes. I finally bought three of these inexpensive things...we love toast! Watch them,turn over quickly with a little pair of tongs, and you have toast for a family in no time. also good for warming buns etc.

Apr 18, 2015
richmond surrey
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1961
should have mentioned, when warming up thing like delicious french pain au chocolat i have three little folded squares of foil ready in the drawer with my toasters to protect grid and burner from the lovely runny melting chocolate.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We use the oven's grill, it's fast as you can do 2 slices at once, even 3 slices of that revolting bimbo stuff ??

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
butter a slice of bread and place butter side down in a medium hot fry pan put some grated cheese on top, butter other slice and place on top, butter side up, flip over for a really tasty treat. Add chopped onion or tomato if req. ?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
What do people use to toast bread? I don't want a mains powered toaster but something I can either put on the hob or in the oven. Probably hob actually, the oven takes a bit longer to heat up.

This kind of contraption is available on Amazon for £6 so it's worth a try but I wanted to ask if anyone else has already done the research into perfect toast on the go?
51zJeV760-L._AC_.jpg
We bought a very small oven rated at up to 1Kw so needs a hookup or an inverter for power. I have a device similar to that illustrated which does small pieces of bread not slices and uses the gas burner for the heat so can be used anywhere.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
aware of that Jez, thanks mine has a red spot which changes colour when it is hot enough to use doubt manufacturer will have set that at a toxic level.
at least I hope not.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Agree, are we missing something or are there people out there without a grill?
Many/most PVC's dont come with oven/grill combo - I rethink its space constraints, plus ovens are a UK market thing in the main I believe

We always carry a small Weber gas BBQ and its simple to use that for toast .. these are superb bits of kit for all sorts of things - use it a lot at home when we're not out and about

1589459658244.png

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I thought grills were part of the stoves. Our little caravan had twin spinflo stoves with grill underneath, no oven. Takes hardly any extra space up ?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
I thought grills were part of the stoves. Our little caravan had twin spinflo stoves with grill underneath, no oven. Takes hardly any extra space up ?
Good point - I guess as they're always placed under the hob, we would always have to at least lose one of our large storage drawers, even without the oven

Its just not worth it for us - I wouldn't leave home without the gas bbq with us anyway, so a grill would just be doubling up.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Good point - I guess as they're always placed under the hob, we would always have to at least lose one of our large storage drawers, even without the oven
You could still use it as a drawer I suppose, just use a slide out tray in it ?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
You could still use it as a drawer I suppose, just use a slide out tray in it ?
? not sure I fancy explaining How the fire damage came about to the insurance company ..?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back