Toast = 20 Minutes! (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
So, Sunday morning we decided to make some toast in our SMEV cooker/Grill! 20 minutes later and still looking slightly anaemic, we could wait no longer :Eeek:

So what's the quicker solution? I see stacks of different solutions on Ebay - i.e. aka Camping Toaster Link Removed

But, are these any good? Is there a better solution?

Love my toast ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes but you need to watch it like a hawk. It just toasts all of a sudden.
As in "oh thats ok for now , Ill just fill the kettle up , arghhhhhhh"
Beeep Beeeep Beeep frantic wafting of the tea towel over the smoke alarm.........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used to use one of the toasters in the OP when tent camping in the 1980s and it worked pretty well. That was on little Camping Gaz stoves. We bought another when we first got a van but it didn't work as well. I don't really know why but could it be that butane burns a bit hotter than propane?

We've found the mesh type such as Link Removed tend to give the best results.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Link Removed

I recently bought one of these...... Link Removed

It works very well (again a bit fast!). I researched this subject in detail (sad I know!) and the Gelert generally had good reports by most users. Check out the user reviews on Amazon for these types of toasters.

:thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I recently bought one of these...... Link Removed

It works very well (again a bit fast!). I researched this subject in detail (sad I know!) and the Gelert generally had good reports by most users. Check out the user reviews on Amazon for these types of toasters.

:thumb:

Yes I agree they work great but as said you do have to watch it . Don't walk away :ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have started packing a toaster!

We run it off the inverter. Big batteries required!::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Grasscutter's got the right idea. For me camping has to be only a minor step down from home comforts. Low watt toaster and EHU, failing that there's always the grill.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I have roastig tray upside down in my grill brings toater pan nearer grill its about 25 m/m nearer gril.Hope this helps
Happy toasting

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We're always shoving bread under the grill in our van. Not to toast (it's less than useless at that) - we use it as the bread bin! :ROFLMAO:

Steve :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We used to use one of the toasters in the OP when tent camping in the 1980s and it worked pretty well. That was on little Camping Gaz stoves. We bought another when we first got a van but it didn't work as well. I don't really know why but could it be that butane burns a bit hotter than propane?

We've found the mesh type such as Link Removed tend to give the best results.
Propane burns hotter than butane :winky:
The grill works fine in our van ::bigsmile: just as good as the home one:Smile:
Terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Propane burns hotter than butane :winky:[/HI]
The grill works fine in our van ::bigsmile: just as good as the home one:Smile:
Terry
Shows how little I know about it ::bigsmile: Obviously reading the wrong articles ::bigsmile: Just for interest sake I just Googled it and some results say butane burns hotter whilst others say propane burns hotter ::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Shows how little I know about it ::bigsmile: Obviously reading the wrong articles ::bigsmile: Just for interest sake I just Googled it and some results say butane burns hotter whilst others say propane burns hotter ::bigsmile:

Moral of story Graham, Don't believe everything you read on those dodgy sites you go to:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Toaster when I have EHU. Blow torch when I don't :ROFLMAO:

The Blowtorch is by far the fastest way to make perfect toast though.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My gran used to toast on the open fire with a toasting fork and it tasted smashing and still does when toasted on an open fire,when permitted. I have a fork in the van for this when fires are allowed and also used for cooking.
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Stainless-Extending-Toasting/dp/B0001IX05I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1368520812&sr=8-4&keywords=roasting+forks"]Kitchen Craft Stainless Steel Extending Toasting Fork: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]
Also we have this Camp-a-toast toaster and its quick but easier to manage.

Attachments

• toaster.jpg
    toaster.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I had my first go with my new Gelert folding toast maker this weekend, following the Toast thread the other week.

Each side was done in literally 20 seconds, and the end product wasn't bad at all. Mmmm toast.

Alternatively, you could always go for Powdered Toast...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1W2FIaCDT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1W2FIaCDT8[/ame]

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi Graham it's just one of those things I know :winky: but I think it was Jim (scotjimland) that once post a chart about it ::bigsmile: Not much in it though,we are talking 1 degree or so ---I think thats why some people use Butane in summer (more in a bottle for your money) and the propane in winter simply because it gasses off at a lot lower temp -- me I am on Propane all yr round simply because its a lot cheaper to fill your (own) bottles ::bigsmile: particulary on my size -under £5 to fill as to £15 ish to swop out :Eeek:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best way is have an household lpg cooker .4 burners ,grill,full oven.
you can cook just like at home .
infact the one in my truck is better than the cooker we have in the house.
its about time m,home manufacturers put decent kitchen facilities in their products .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .becareful most inverters come with a wartning not to be used for electrical items that give heat . could be a cause of a fire.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
So, Sunday morning we decided to make some toast in our SMEV cooker/Grill! 20 minutes later and still looking slightly anaemic, we could wait no longer :Eeek:

So what's the quicker solution? I see stacks of different solutions on Ebay - i.e. aka Camping Toaster Link Removed

have you turned the wire grill inside the grill pan over so it stands higher by coincidence we only discovered this this morning ,problem now is stoppping the toast falling of the back

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. Think it'll be one of those camping contraptions on a ring instead of using the grill.

Tried elevating the bread nearer to the heat but still pretty pathetic performance :Doh:

John

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
buy yourself a supermarket budget sandwich toaster under a fiver (sainsburys saver range about £4.50) for when when on hook up and do cheese toasties much nicer than toast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back