'TOADs'...'A' frames Proposed New Regulations ?! (1 Viewer)

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
unfortunately Dave it dont work like that.....

Vosa use the gross weight of the panda, or indeed any trailer, whether loaded or not and not the kerb weight.
I understood that for the purposes of GTW it is the actual weights of the vehicle and trailer that are used, not the gross weights?

Andy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One of the French microcars has a special trailer which gives an all up gross weight of 750kg. Which makes it legal to tow if you are at your C1 limit of 7.5t.

Ian

Had one of them, a Secma funtech. they call it a Pod or somthing now.

Anyone that thinks Aframes are dangerous should try one of those:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I didn't want to get involved in this pointless thread, but feel I should point out that you can reverse a toad, as I had to do so on a garage forecourt when blocked by a broken down car. If you go slowly the braking effect on the toad is not significant. The only difficultly is that, as with any vehicle which is long with a short trailer, it is difficult to steer the trailer without it jackknifing (the reverse camera helps). In fact I had a little baggage trailer that I used to take stuff to the dump with which was much more difficult to reverse than the toad, and that was just behind a car.
I only use the toad in the UK because parking for the MH is non-existent in most UK towns. I have never needed it in France so don't take it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .yes we know its possible to reverse an aframe sometimes. but thats not good enough. it is possible to reverse a unbraked aframe ,carefully . we used to have competitions in the garage who could reverse this and that. but lets be honest the brakes should come on with most of the marketted aframes. the brake buddu etc or the air system etc i mention are the way to do it.
personally i use unbraked and only do recovery . sometimes from miles away. might even have to take it somewhere to get recovered from. ha ha .
as for gross trainweights .the clue is in the title .gross train weight .
not actual train weight.
trainweights can be voluntary lowered sometimes.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi Larry,

Strangely, the efficiency of the brakes is not the same thing as "braking efficiency"
All road vehicles must have a service brake efficiency of at least 50%. (C&U Regs).
The "efficiency" referred to is measured as a percentage of the vehicle gross weight. Whilst familiar with C&U, I'm no technician, but I doubt a trailer (toad car in this case) designed to have brakes enhanced by a servo would be able to meet requirements without the servo actually working? I base this on experience of being towed in a vehicle with a dead engine, hence no servo. Brakes needed extreme pressure to have any effect.

May be wrong...over to the technicians.

Why not buy a fiver or some other sort of caravan? much more efficient combination and more living space.
I have a brake buddy fitted to my tow car
it has more than enough pressure to opperate the brakes with no servo assistance when set on high you can feel the car pulling the RV to a stop
so i know the brakes are working and working to a very good stopping power.

it has a safety stop that applies the brakes and holds them on should the car come of it tow coupling plus a breakaway chain
I can reverse the car a short distance in a straight line but not around corners.

are you saying I am illegal when towing my toad?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back