Rockingdodge

Free Member
Nov 6, 2009
Ross on Wye
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My 'home gives me an allowable towing weight of 1200kgs. Now looking for a suitable toad to replace my Smart and trailer also my Scenic do I take the kerbside weight or do I need to add in any allowance above that?

Thanks

Roger

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
if you have a towing limit of 1200kg that means the car,a frame ,anything in the car, inc fuel whatever is in the boot, etc must not weigh more than 1200 kg in total.hope this helps. steve.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
interesting question, because if it was a trailer you were towing it would be the maximum allowable mass. But your towing a car, which unless its suddenly a trailer will have a higher mass in running order than you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
if you have a towing limit of 1200kg that means the car,a frame ,anything in the car, inc fuel whatever is in the boot, etc must not weigh more than 1200 kg in total.hope this helps. steve.:thumb:

Having been here myself you will find that limits your choice big time I was amazed at the weights of some of the estate cars

OP
OP
Rockingdodge

Rockingdodge

Free Member
Nov 6, 2009
Ross on Wye
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just checked what Kerbside weight includes and it does include 90% fuel.
Due to back problems I'm looking for a vehicle that has a reasonable 'sit up and beg' seating which will make it easierfor me and the missus to get in and out.
So at present my thoughts go with a Renault Modus or similar.
The kerbside weight for this is 1120 to 1200 dependant on model.
Having a Renault Grand Scenic I like the car but maintenance costs are high but I don't know what other makes compare.
Oh so much to think of, my head hurts :cry:

Roger

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as a car being towed behind another vehicle technically becomes a trailer, and like any other trailer the weigh for VOSA (roadside checks) is the VIN plates gross weight of the car...whether fully loaded or empty...it matters not either way.

so, at 1200kg you will be limited to a small hatchback like a Vauxhall corsa/Nissan micra.

my old ('97) Corsa 'toad' had a kerb of 860kg and a gross weight of 1140kg....just inside your limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back