toad pros cons wants vrs needs (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I’m considering buying a car to take behind the motorhome,

FACTS

1:can’t do bikes as I’ve got no sense of balance

2:can’t do much walking because we can’t

3: we NEED some form of getting about when on site or at a rally

4: I can justify buying/running anther small car anyway

Cons
A Frames UK only possibly France

Pros
Small Trailer would have other uses

Would really fancy an open backed Smart 2 seater

Wife says we need to consider when we take the grandkids
I say sod it….do what we want for a change

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Trailer, two seater sports car. Go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Depreciation on car - £1k pa?
Extra tax. insurance etc - £300pa?
Increased fuel, ferry costs - £200pa?

Inconvenience when driving????

Cost of hiring a car (variable size, drive train, roof?) when you need one - £30pday?

Gordon

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Having Tried a 2 seater Smart, fun as it was (open top). Not for me.

My Advice:

If you are planning long trips, take a trailer and small 4 seater car or minivan.

Audi A2
Citroen C1/Aygo
Honda Vamos

Okay, if you want just two seats, Honda Beat.

I would never consider A framing in Europe.

If you are making smaller trips. Plan well and use public transport. If you need a car, hire one.

Example:

Lake Anncey:

We stay in Doussard. We take bikes, we walk, we get the boat. Busses are available but very limited. As I read it, you cannot walk far. So, depending on how far. You could just take the boat.

One big factor is costs of ferries and boats!.

TM

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Having Tried a 2 seater Smart, fun as it was (open top). Not for me.

My Advice:

If you are planning long trips, take a trailer and small 4 seater car or minivan.

Audi A2
Citroen C1/Aygo
Honda Vamos

Okay, if you want just two seats, Honda Beat.

I would never consider A framing in Europe.

If you are making smaller trips. Plan well and use public transport. If you need a car, hire one.

Example:

Lake Anncey:

We stay in Doussard. We take bikes, we walk, we get the boat. Busses are available but very limited. As I read it, you cannot walk far. So, depending on how far. You could just take the boat.

One big factor is costs of ferries and boats!.

TM

were come to spain for a 3 week trip at the end of Feb how easy is pupic transport (in genral)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We love ours it's given us so much freedom. We can get to all the towns, beaches, it's made Amanda's & our life so much easier.
We had probs with reversing when we first started towing but now we know our limitations and just plan the route better never follow sat navigation down small roads :whistle:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just hire a small car on the days/at the locations that you want to.....
And/Or use local bus, train or tram service where available, and local taxi as a further alternative.

No upfront purchase capital cost (put the money somewhere where it's earning you a bit of interest instead).
No annual insurance cost.
No annual road tax cost.
No MOT cost.
No servicing and maintenance costs.
No costs of repairs/replacement parts (tyres, exhausts, brake pads, clutch, battery, wiper blades, etc etc).
No costs of annual breakdown/recovery insurance.
No vehicle depreciation costs.
No car cleaning/hoovering/washing/polishing costs
No costs to install towbar and electrics on rear of MH.
No cost of buying either a trailer or A-Frame.
No costs of adapting tow-car to couple to A-Frame....with associated reduction in it's future value.
No hassle of having to couple-up/load car every time you want to move sites; then uncouple/unload car every time you get to next site.
No problems with parking/manoeuvring or reversing motorhome.
No big reduction on motorhome mpg.
No big additional wear/strain on motorhome brakes, drive-train, gearbox and clutch.
Less mechanical junk on your drive/in your garage.
No costs of extra large pitches, or of extra campsite charges for an extra vehicle.

Plus the pleasure of driving an endless variety of virtually brand spanking new cars whenever you choose to; on which all the upkeep and maintenance and cleaning and insurance and repairs and depreciation etc costs are totally not your problem.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't see the point of a Smart car, very limited as there's often the case friends want a lift, shopping to carry etc.
No cheaper than an Aygo or Peugeot 107.
We towed a P107 and now tow a Kia Rio, far more use than a tiny two seater and use it as the only car.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am planning a tour of Spain with an A frame.(y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I am planning a tour of Spain with an A frame.(y)
What one of these ?
edab70ebb182f7c85ceca66bbc58fc49.jpg

Seems a good idea o_O:sneaky:

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It can be as you say " a mine field" at times and thats no doubt! :Eeek: However...Whatever you do , someone else will always find a reason to condemn it! So It really comes down to you yourselves :cheers:. We were put off for ages reading the "ins and outs" of towing on various sites , this one included too ! :swear2: We decided to take the plunge and buy a Smart car with the A frame. Honestly and truthfully....never looked back! If you want to take folk with you then buy a larger car. If not, stick to what you prefer. We all do not want to have passengers alongside when on holiday...Personally, if some one wants a lift...Ask them to catch a bus! Simples!
The troubles with towing abroad are a pain :groan:. The wise ones on here have already mentioned a few of the countries that cause the problems too. That aside...If you are preparing to travel a lot abroad, then Trailer it! If you want to play around a while in this country, then take no notice and get a little car and A frame. The independance is marvellous . You will not look back...Trust me!:pray:

Kev and Carolyn

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I thought we were doing so well, as well:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would really fancy an open backed Smart 2 seater

Wife says we need to consider when we take the grandkids
I say sod it….do what we want for a change
I agree with you ... s*d the kids! :D

We've always gone down the practical route and had a 4-seater car but now we've px'd it for a new style Smart ForTwo Coupe that's less than 3 months old as our only car (we still have the camper if we need more seats). We've had 6 old style Smart ForTwos and now this latest model one - absolutely love them to bits.

Don't see the point of a Smart car, very limited as there's often the case friends want a lift, shopping to carry etc.
You can't carry more than 1 passenger obviously but the boot is actually quite spacious, the old style ones are good for a small car and the new Smart has a bigger boot than our Twingo had.

They are fantastic to drive, very easy to manoeuvre and nippy, bring a grin to your face and ideal for those with mobility issues as you can often park them in places that no other car will fit! If you get an auto gearbox one they make driving much more pleasurable as you don't have to keep changing gears all the time and can instead enjoy the driving and scenery.

Having had a cabrio version, though, I'd stick with a coupe as they are more practical.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oooo ... sorry got distracted when someone mentioned Smart cars .... :D

You could consider getting a tricycle instead of a standard bike, that way you won't have to worry about your balance/falling off!

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
After 15 years with motorhome. And us getting older we came across a lovely Hyundai Amica with electronic braking on this forum for sale last year at a great price so bit the bullet and purchased it. As we both like course fishing we stay further in the country where there are no buses have a run out in morning then fish in afternoon. If near bus stops don't take car. Wish we had done it before, And we had 3 caravans before motorhome.
When we bought first motorhome 15 year ago also bought new Nissan Micra with the intention of A framing or trailer after 7 years doing neither sold it. Used bikes if cycle paths or public transport when in Spain. Public transport in UK.
(I'd never let wife ride bike on roads she was bloody lethal:love: )

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with you ... s*d the kids! :D

We've always gone down the practical route and had a 4-seater car but now we've px'd it for a new style Smart ForTwo Coupe that's less than 3 months old as our only car (we still have the camper if we need more seats). We've had 6 old style Smart ForTwos and now this latest model one - absolutely love them to bits.

You can't carry more than 1 passenger obviously but the boot is actually quite spacious, the old style ones are good for a small car and the new Smart has a bigger boot than our Twingo had.

They are fantastic to drive, very easy to manoeuvre and nippy, bring a grin to your face and ideal for those with mobility issues as you can often park them in places that no other car will fit! If you get an auto gearbox one they make driving much more pleasurable as you don't have to keep changing gears all the time and can instead enjoy the driving and scenery.

Having had a cabrio version, though, I'd stick with a coupe as they are more practical.

The Peugeot and the Kia are also great to drive and on several occasions friends or family have travelled in their mhomes but no car so they explore with us . Only slightly heavier kerb weight , auto available and well within the gtw of the mohome , no brainier for us.

Last edited:

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
We have our Kia Picasso and in the uk/Ireland it is essential. We have never bothered with the toad in France as they are so well set up for mohos, never taken the moho to Spain but imagine it will be similar to France.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
I would say a small car on a trailer and fit a motor mover to make life easy. Car hire a very good idea but when we hired one in Spain ( Feb 2017) we used Gold car €23 for 4 days. However fully comp. insurance €95 plus some other charge total about €135.could have had cheaper insurance but they hold your credit card details and charge for any kind of damage.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi. The "economics" of Hire V/s Towing, can be validated, However, as we found out in both Spain and The USA. It is not easy to get a hire everywhere, and any Public holiday will almost certainly be a "no no". The idea, and principle, is logical but the practice can be a totally different ball game. So for those Like me who would struggle with accessing Public transport, Walking further than 100yards is a struggle for SWMBO, and for whom a bicycle is not an option. The "Towed" car has to be first choice. We do have access to a lightweight scooter, and have used it with some success. But even that has limitations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back