toad pros cons wants vrs needs (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Having toad small cars for several years I have now come to the conclusion that it's not really worth it.
You don't need a car on the (parts of) the continent (that I've been to).
I still tow in the UK for the convenience and because I still have a small car and A-frame (did you want one?). For the number of times I've used it to good effect, I'd have been better off without investing in the towbar and car conversion by taking taxis or public transport instead (or electric bikes in summer).
An alternative to a car would be a Piaggio trike (or similar) on a trailer (or similar).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I would say a small car on a trailer and fit a motor mover to make life easy. Car hire a very good idea but when we hired one in Spain ( Feb 2017) we used Gold car €23 for 4 days. However fully comp. insurance €95 plus some other charge total about €135.could have had cheaper insurance but they hold your credit card details and charge for any kind of damage.
You can take your own insurance out to cover everything ,, ,,covers you Europe wide for £49 a year..Car hire accept it but hate it,,BUSBY

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just hire a small car on the days/at the locations that you want to.....
And/Or use local bus, train or tram service where available, and local taxi as a further alternative.

No upfront purchase capital cost (put the money somewhere where it's earning you a bit of interest instead).
No annual insurance cost.
No annual road tax cost.
No MOT cost.
No servicing and maintenance costs.
No costs of repairs/replacement parts (tyres, exhausts, brake pads, clutch, battery, wiper blades, etc etc).
No costs of annual breakdown/recovery insurance.
No vehicle depreciation costs.
No car cleaning/hoovering/washing/polishing costs
No costs to install towbar and electrics on rear of MH.
No cost of buying either a trailer or A-Frame.
No costs of adapting tow-car to couple to A-Frame....with associated reduction in it's future value.
No hassle of having to couple-up/load car every time you want to move sites; then uncouple/unload car every time you get to next site.
No problems with parking/manoeuvring or reversing motorhome.
No big reduction on motorhome mpg.
No big additional wear/strain on motorhome brakes, drive-train, gearbox and clutch.
Less mechanical junk on your drive/in your garage.
No costs of extra large pitches, or of extra campsite charges for an extra vehicle.

Plus the pleasure of driving an endless variety of virtually brand spanking new cars whenever you choose to; on which all the upkeep and maintenance and cleaning and insurance and repairs and depreciation etc costs are totally not your problem.

That's a very good argument for not owning a motorhome :whistle:

For those who advocate walking, cycling, using public transport etc, that's fine if all you want to do is a bit of shopping or a meal/drink but for us we like to explore up to about a 50 mile radius which is not really practical without your own vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
That's a very good argument for not owning a motorhome :whistle:

For those who advocate walking, cycling, using public transport etc, that's fine if all you want to do is a bit of shopping or a meal/drink but for us we like to explore up to about a 50 mile radius which is not really practical without your own vehicle.

With respect, no it isn't at all. Patently.

Motorhome is "Mother Ship".
You arrive at "X" in it.
You then base yourself in it, you sleep in it, you shower in it, you cook in it.
Any other form of transport around/beyond that is nothing to do with the motorhome.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

You arrive at "X" in it.
You then base yourself in it, you sleep in it, you shower in it, you cook in it.
Any other form of transport around/beyond that is nothing to do with the motorhome.

With equal respect, my post did have a whistling emoji which was to indicate it was tongue in cheek.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
You can take your own insurance out to cover everything ,, ,,covers you Europe wide for £49 a year..Car hire accept it but hate it,,BUSBY
More details please.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

You arrive at "X" in it.
Caravan and car sounds a good idea then,,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
More details please.
insurance4carhire.com £39.95,,Also do world wide cover,,that price is for Europe.,,BUSBY,,

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a Peugeot 107 on an A frame, brilliant car loads of room inside, comfortable, economical-50+per mph-no tax!
Pain in the neck if you need to reverse-we just unhitch get sorted and hitch up again!
Some countries don't like them.
Trailer has its pros & cons too!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I useD to be of the school of thought “might as well have a car and caravan instead of towing a car” but since trying it am now a convert. We have had an open top Smart for 2 and now have a Fiat 500. Both have A frames. The Smart is now with anothe4 Funsters who loves it, but we found that we needed 4 seats as my wife uses the car at home as her main car and the Smart was too small for that (although it was great for towing and plenty of space in the back for our 2 dogs).

Towing on an A frame is easy, and seems to have no impact on fuel consumption. Hitching it to the Moho needs accurate manoeuvring but we have learned how to do it now. Reversing when towing is limited (can only really reverse in a straight line).

I have not tried a trailer, but I think that would be equally easy. Pros: easier to reverse, easier to hitch up, probably more legal in Spain, but still can’t use Aires in France. Cons: less stable during towing and heavier so probably use more fuel, need to fix car to trailer securely so probably take longer to hitch, need somewhere to store trailer at home and at campsites. Longer, so cost more on ferries.

BTW, the discount on M6 toll for CMC members gives a discount for Moho and Toad ( or trailer) so you pay only the single car rate.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have hired in the past but we currently use a small trailer and citigo.
Works very well for us.
For those suggesting towing a caravan instead ... why? .. (not to mention the citigo can't tow)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a Toyota IQ2 as my wifes car, you can get 4 adults in at a push. Its a lot nicer to drive than a Smart. As its as wide as a normal car it feels like a normal car unlike the Smart, but its fun to drive. It also has a small turning circle 26.4ft

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We have a Toyota IQ2 as my wifes car, you can get 4 adults in at a push. Its a lot nicer to drive than a Smart. As its as wide as a normal car it feels like a normal car unlike the Smart, but its fun to drive. It also has a small turning circle 26.4ft

do you A frame this or trailer?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
It depends where you are staying.

Do you have a place in mind?

At this time of year, car hire is cheap. Just make sure you have FULL insurance.

We will be heading for Totana for a few days, then down to the coast and huging it staying as and where we fancy (or can find sites) and exit Spain into France towards Perpignan total time in Spain about 18/20 days

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I useD to be of the school of thought “might as well have a car and caravan instead of towing a car” but since trying it am now a convert. We have had an open top Smart for 2 and now have a Fiat 500. Both have A frames. The Smart is now with anothe4 Funsters who loves it, but we found that we needed 4 seats as my wife uses the car at home as her main car and the Smart was too small for that (although it was great for towing and plenty of space in the back for our 2 dogs).

Towing on an A frame is easy, and seems to have no impact on fuel consumption. Hitching it to the Moho needs accurate manoeuvring but we have learned how to do it now. Reversing when towing is limited (can only really reverse in a straight line).

I have not tried a trailer, but I think that would be equally easy. Pros: easier to reverse, easier to hitch up, probably more legal in Spain, but still can’t use Aires in France. Cons: less stable during towing and heavier so probably use more fuel, need to fix car to trailer securely so probably take longer to hitch, need somewhere to store trailer at home and at campsites. Longer, so cost more on ferries.

BTW, the discount on M6 toll for CMC members gives a discount for Moho and Toad ( or trailer) so you pay only the single car rate.

Thanks for your long post, I know of your Ex smarti and its new owner, I notice you metion the none abiility to use Aries in france with a trailer on tow (or even an A frame ) is this correct?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
:Eeek:Like to see the Adults in the back guys? :dance2: These were designed for really really tiny people in the back.:hugs: We had one too...Found it easier to push the seats down and use it as a comfortable 2 seater. The turning circle was brilliant ! Loved it to be honest. Just could not get an A frame to fit at the time though now I believe they are on a par cost wise, with a smart car?
Kev

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.

"Probably more legal in Spain". Shouldn't that read "legal in Spain"

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Thanks for your long post, I know of your Ex smarti and its new owner, I notice you metion the none abiility to use Aries in france with a trailer on tow (or even an A frame ) is this correct?
I’ve not usd Aires at all yet, but read elsewhere on this forum that trailers are not allowed

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We had a tow bar fitted recognising we may in the not to distant future need to, a) tow a trailer with grandkids kit in it, B) tow a small car on a trailer, or C) tow a small car on an A frame.

We moved from a car and caravan because of time taken when leaving somewhere and then when arriving somewhere.

It was more convenient for long term stays, over a week, but our style of holidaying, apart from the odd weeks with grandchildren, had changed to touring, perhaps a night or two then move on.

As our grandchildren get older, it seems they don’t particularly want to come away with us, strangely if they are with us they would rather be at our home.

So, the looking after just the two of you bit is probably spot on. I can’t offer advice as to make or model, or trailer or A frame. But, in talking to a chap one day who had a Smart trailered, he said it is becoming more awkward getting in and out of the car with older balance and arthritis issues, and when it’s been raining as you only have a small area on which to put you feet and if slippy that can be awkward.

So, that leaves the Spain issue, and who knows when others will follow, even here in the UK.

On balance I decided A frame rather than trailer having talked to a lot of each type of user.

But then hire cars came into the frame. So many horror stories about hiring in Spain from friends on package holidays, mainly relating to damage arguments.There is little doubt economically a hire car is probably much cheaper.

Much cheaper, but maybe not as convenient IF you have to be there to accept the hire car. If you aren’t there for the handover and there is a damage discrepancy when you pick it up that is hassle, fine if you have the time to deal with it.

Friends who have an a frame arrive on site, levelling, hook up and water issues dealt with within 30 minutes, and then off in to the nearby attractions almost immediately.

At the end of the day it’s a personal choice, which is best for you.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you're planning to go to Spain I believe you need a trailer, rather than A-farme.
You can take trailers onto some aires but many do not have the space. You could move on or park the trailer elsewhere (as you would, a little easier, with a toad) if there was insufficient space.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Have you checked the weight train allowance for the motorhome ? A trailer can go 400 kg on its own .

I tow a Skoda Fabia on a twin axle Woodford trailer myself and don't have any worries towing anywhere in UK or Europe .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Whilst it works a treat in the Uk, & possibly elsewhere , here most airport car hire places will not accept the use of it without a 900/1000€ debit against your credit card.
Thanks @busby I hadn't realised this was possible.
Works well in the UK.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Whilst it works a treat in the Uk, & possibly elsewhere , here most airport car hire places will not accept the use of it without a 900/1000€ debit against your credit card.

Works well in the UK.
Even with it most UK car hire companies take a chunk on your credit card so that if there is any damage etc they are covered, you then claim that back from your own insurance. If no damage then car hire company reimburses said credit card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back