johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Sad: This will be the first time we have towed a Toad to Europe. Done a local (60 miles) twice and broke the rules in that I didn't put our extra Motorhome number plate on the Toad. How do YOU fit yours?
I was thinking of Rubber Bands made of old tyre inner tubes. But nowadays they are like hens teeth.
I also thought about fitting clipboard clips on and sliding it over the Toad number plate.
I then thought about fitting normal Plastic number plate bolts through from the back of the Toad number plates and then bolting on the Motorhome plate. What do YOU use? :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We use an old innertube for our trailer, but its push bike innertube, you must have one of those knocking around all that cycling you do:Smile:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I replaced the numberplate bolts on the rear of the toad with 2x 1.5 ins threaded bars of which my original plate fits to, that leaves around a 3/4ins thread stuck out so I just put the RV reg plate on top of the car number plate and fix with locknuts.

Hope that makes sense :winky:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
We use an old innertube for our trailer, but its push bike innertube, you must have one of those knocking around all that cycling you do:Smile:

:Doh: Thanks Jim. Yep. Thought of that. But ALL our old inndertubes are in Spain. :Doh:

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John

you can buy proper metal spring clips that fix to the MH plate and clip over the toad's plate.. I'll look for a supplier or post a pic if you can't find

Jim

:Smile: Thanks Jim. I did think there must be something around like Clipboard clips to fix the job. :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We use the yellow plastic number plate bolts,they are fitted through the toads plate, then holes drilled in the RV plate with black plastic thumb screws holding it in place. Best part of this is,no rust,and looks tidy.If it looks tidy "they" leave you alone.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Have you tried number plate sticky pads? They sure do stick. Most places that make number plates supply the pads.

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Have you tried number plate sticky pads? They sure do stick. Most places that make number plates supply the pads.

:Sad: Yep. They had the KIA Toad number plates fitted with these. The few Hot days they had here made them drop off. They WOULD not be suitable for use in Spain. Our son Simon even fitted special double sided tape all the way across the plates and they STILL fell off. I think it was down to there being a slight bend in the bodywork. :Angry:

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
In my previous life as a Police Officer it was legal to run with different numbers on the towed vehicle as long as you owned both. Has this changed?

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
In my previous life as a Police Officer it was legal to run with different numbers on the towed vehicle as long as you owned both. Has this changed?

:Eeek: I wasn't aware of that charlie24. In the old days people used to stick a piece of cardboard with the Reg number in the window of the caravan or on the rear end. Same with a trailer. :whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Probably not,

but in order to comply with the trailer regs., which an A framed car must do, the towed car has to have the same plate as the towing vehicle.

jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there could be an issue here of was the aframe being used for recovery .if it was you dont normally worry about the n,plate. recovery brakes lots of rules we now have. alan.

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
Give Towtal a ring 01782 333422
They do a number plate holder that you clip your number plate in to.
You unscrew your old number plate, screw the number plate holder to your car, then clip in your Motorhome number plate. When you get where you are going just unclip your MH number plate and clip in your toad plate. All very easy

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
::bigsmile: Thanks everyone. Because I have spent so much recently on our new-to-us Suntor and the KIA Toad, plus 4 extra batteries and Solar panel etc. I have decided to go the CHEAP route. ie: Fix some Plastic number plated bolts through the back of the Toad number plate and then screw on the Suntor number plate. Cheap as chips. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Here's what your looking for John :Smile:

Link Removed

Link Removed

i have a pair of these on my bike trailer.

DONT rely on the clips alone....they are rubbish at holding your plate in place.

first time out cost me a new plate:cry:

file a shallow notch the width of each clip, top and bottom, in the plate where the clips sit so it cant move sideways and fall off.

i also have a very small 'doglead' type clip on a short wire which clips through a small hole in the number plate just incase it happens again.

on my toad i use a couple of lengths of knicker elastic tied in a loop and slip over both plates....works for me:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yep!

she's still in 'em.
you dont think id trust a couple of bits of knicker laggy on their own, do you?

quicksam

Free Member
Sep 27, 2008
Kiskunhalas - Hungary
Funster No
Exp
4 years
Probably not,

but in order to comply with the trailer regs., which an A framed car must do, the towed car has to have the same plate as the towing vehicle.

jim

Hi Jim,
Just a thought, how do tuggers from the Netherlands comply, they have a separate / different registration number for their caravans / trailers ? :Doh:
Sam

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,
Just a thought, how do tuggers from the Netherlands comply, they have a separate / different registration number for their caravans / trailers ? :Doh:
Sam

same way as UK plates are yellow with black letters/numbers at the rear but it appears most of europe are white/cream with various different coloured numbers/letters depending on country.

there are exceptions to the rules.:thumb:

OP
OP
johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: As I ahve already mentioned, I am going the Plastic number bolt way. 6 for £1.49 as opposed to £5.99 for a pair of nice looking but don't trust them alli clips. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back