Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So, last season we were approached by a French policeman near Cherbourg who, very nicely, told us our A frame wasn’t legal. In May, we travelled to Santiago de Compostella sans car, and on the whole, it wasn’t too bad. Meanwhile we bought a trailer and today we tried it out for the first time. August 1st and we’re off to France, Portsmouth Le Havre. Anyone with experience of stowing a trailer on campsites?

Attachments

• DE4EE4A3-DFBE-4CBF-BD1E-99BE57AF7CD3.jpeg
    DE4EE4A3-DFBE-4CBF-BD1E-99BE57AF7CD3.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 102
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I used to tow my Harley on a trailer, never had a problem on a site. I now tow a trailer for extra storage and still never had a problem. We have a PVC so can fit everything on a standard pitch. If you need extra space it may be different

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Always found somewhere to put the trailer,usually on our own pitch, occasionally on spare pitches or on campsite reception car park

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We used to tow a car on a trailer. We changed from our RV to the Flair and decided to give it a whirl without the car. We had new electric bikes in the garage. That was 2015, we have not towed the car ever since! AND do not feel the urge to do so. The bikes get us where we want with exercise included for free. Large panniers give us the ability to do a good supermarket visit. The only downside is that we cannot tour extensively from the pitch, but did we ever anyway?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A lot of sites require you to park as already suggested in the over spill or visitors car park
Trailer security is therefor paramount, to aid this I have made a bolt on tow bar out of 50 x5 0 angle that attaches via the two
rear towing eyes on the smart car, using the original towing eye eye and a 2nd spare, the bar fits to the trailer front bar with trailer antiluce's when not in use so takes up no room for shorter moves I have a motor mover fitted
Im a lazy sod at heart

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A Smart + its trailer parks alongside my motorhome in much the same way as a car would park beside a caravan. I've never had an issue with this arrangement in the UK. If space was a real problem I'd park the car on its trailer. I like @Geo 's idea though.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We tow a trailer behind the RV with our Harleys on. Been all over, many campsites, have never had a problem parking on pitch and never been charged extra.

Mick

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Some sites in Portugal used to want to charge extra for the trailer.car was free . that's when we used to leave trailer in car park FOC. Just take motorhome and car on site. Only charge then was for M/H.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We’ve been towing for the last three years and always stow on the pitch, in fact most sites in Spain you could put up an awning as well. (Excepting places like Benidorm I suspect but never been there) (y)(y)(y) no criticism just have heard it gets pretty packed and space is a premium.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Have towed both 6.5 and 7.5M with 5.5M motorbike trailer and have never had a problem fitting on pitch nor been charged for it.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Alright on camp sites but can't stay on aires you give up a lot of freedom.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Alright on camp sites but can't stay on aires you give up a lot of freedom.
Where did you get that information we have been using Aires for the last three years without any problems you just need to research them to see if they have room(y)(y)(y)
Please don’t state things that you don’t know.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
You must find the find the big aires cos you use the small ones you put your van in one and your car or trailer in another.

And you would have a lot of unhappy motorhomes, the French and Germans are worst

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You must find the find the big aires cos you use the small ones you put your van in one and your car or trailer in another.

And you would have a lot of unhappy motorhomes, the French and Germans are worst
Never had a problem and never had to unhitch trailer or take up two spaces there is no French law stating you cannot use them if you have a trailer.(y)(y)(y)

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I only said that because the spaces were small and a couple of times van and trailer next to each other in the spaces, just watched them scrapping.
We have been to aires and a van was parked on the gray water drain but he would not move but he was French.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I think in general you would struggle on Aires and Stellplatz with a trailer and car. I appreciate some are larger than others but in general you would struggle

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We use aires all the time, never had any problems. So do many other folks with trailers. We're approx 13m all hitched up :)

Mick

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Travelled all around Spain up through France on both sides into Germany and Holland never struggled to find an Aire to take us our rig is 12m overall.
Just needs a bit of planning.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I think in general you would struggle on Aires and Stellplatz with a trailer and car. I appreciate some are larger than others but in general you would struggle
You couldn't possibly be any more wrong. Most people that tow a trailer are quite good at manoeuvring them so don't have any problems with them. It seems to me that people who have no experience in pulling one seem to know beforehand that they are going to be a problem.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You couldn't possibly be any more wrong. Most people that tow a trailer are quite good at manoeuvring them so don't have any problems with them. It seems to me that people who have no experience in pulling one seem to know beforehand that they are going to be a problem.
Maybe you misinterpret Stewart's comment. He has a 10 metre van, so would be 14 metres minimum train, the manoeuvring is one element but the major one is where you put the trailer because it will not sit behind the van. You may find some irate MH owners if the aire was busy and your trailer was occupying a space or you were hanging out blocking the access. Sure in a quiet period this becomes a non issue... perhaps.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Okay, so let’s start with my experience of towing. I have been towing cars behind motorhomes for almost 12 years. I have had 3 Smart Cars which I towed on a Brian James single axle trailer. I changed to an Abarth which was fitted with a towbars to tow cars A Frame, this was replaced with another Abarth and finally a Mercedes SLK which was also fitted with a towbars 2 towbars A Frame, so feel I have sufficient experience in towing cars behind motorhomes.
Regardless of my experience or anyone else’s for that matter I feel it irrelevant. The reason I say anyone towing a car and trailer using Aires and Stellplatz has nothing to do with ability and experience of towing, it’s purely based on the space afforded to users. In my experience very few (accept there are larger ones) do not have room to accommodate a Motorhome car and trailer.
I’m typing this sitting on the Stellplatz in Cologne. No way would you have space, I am on the biggest pitch which is for a 12m Motorhome, they only have 2 and reserved for vans bigger than 9m all the rest are much smaller and no way enough space for a trailer. Prior to this we were in Bamburg, same story. Before that we were in Goch, Netherlands, big sign stating no cars or trailers. I agree you may fit on some but in my experience you would be very restricted and stand by advising against it.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
As usual this thread seems to be going off on a tangent. The op wanted to know how they would get on parking on campsites. Phone ahead to save any problems. Simples (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@stewartwebr I quite agree with your comments and here what you say. I think that for someone without experience it would be difficult the key for us to a good trip is to plan your stops as much as possible and have a look on the apps available to give a good idea of the suitability and always have a fall back just in case.(y)(y)(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Should be no bother they are only small..Dont want one though,,,BUSBY.:D:D

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@stewartwebr which stellplatze in Koln is that as just what I will need in future for a visit (The 12mtr bit) ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back