TO TOW OR NOT TO TOW? (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I purchased the tow car with A frame already fitted, there is usually a selection in the classifieds, always
take it in the UK mainly because most sites and CL s are miles from anywhere. Takes five minutes to hook up and only loose a small amount on the consumption. Luckily it is our second car so it works well.
In Javea this year I hired for a few days but you need to book well in advance to get the best deals. That also worked out well , used Economy Rentals who give a vouchers for the local agent. Quotes can be very cheap but it is only for 3rd party Ins on the web.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you go to Spain for the winter why not buy a banger and run that..
I carried a CG125 bike in the back of my Transit Chausson but only used it a couple of times. However the new Hymer also has a big garage so it can carry on there from now on. A tow bar is not made off the shelf and needs to be custom built and then approved cost about £1500 so they can keep that idea. The Hymer has a Glass fibre rear garage and the whole towbar is on a huge extension and bar weighing about 60kgs they say. No towing for me then .

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
New one coming will have a towbar, guess it will be useful at some point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My costs:

TO TOW
CAR £5K - owned Smart car so £0
TOW BAR - came with van so £0
TRAILER - £700 SH
INSURANCE £200 (annually) depends on car
ROAD TAX - Zero rated so £0
MOT £50 (annually) yes
SERVICING - done by me so price of fluids only
REPAIRS - £20 (over 5 years & two Smart cars
DEPRECIATION - bought SH so say £500 / year
LOWER VAN MPG - by around 3mpg..
NO CAR PARKING - vast driveway :)
CONVENIENCE - can't put a price on it

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
For UK only we tow a Smartcar on A-frame, best thing we ever did since leaving the tugging fraternity.
If going abroad, this doesn't work.....
Toured Scotland in April/May this year and went to great places in the car that would have been not possible in MH.
When we stopped tugging and moved to MH, we said we would hire, but never happened.....too much effort......but now we have the car the UK is our oyster......
We have 7.4m Autotrail and found shopping difficult, but now with Smartcar is a piece of cake.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
SO..TO HIRE....LESS COST ...LESS HASSLE.....A NO BRAINER THEN???????

You can't use an A-Frame abroad.
Don't say you don't go abroad, that's a waste of a good MH.
A car trailer is a pain in the bum.
When aboard there are laws to comply with, like how long before the car has to be registered in the country.
There is the UK MOT problem, also with MHs of course.

So all in all, hiring has a lot going for it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When aboard there are laws to comply with, like how long before the car has to be registered in the country.

Out of interest Whats the MOT problem?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Out of interest Whats the MOT problem?

You can't get it done outside the UK as a FUNster was weeping and wailing about recently knowing his MOT expired "over there". I can't remember if that meant he could not renew the tax as well.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can't get it done outside the UK as a FUNster was weeping and wailing about recently knowing his MOT expired "over there". I can't remember if that meant he could not renew the tax as well.
Ah I remember that but As we did last year got the mot early so that it all dovetails nicely for when we return to uk it for what it costs it's worth it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For UK only we tow a Smartcar on A-frame, best thing we ever did since leaving the tugging fraternity.
If going abroad, this doesn't work.....
Toured Scotland in April/May this year and went to great places in the car that would have been not possible in MH.
When we stopped tugging and moved to MH, we said we would hire, but never happened.....too much effort......but now we have the car the UK is our oyster......
We have 7.4m Autotrail and found shopping difficult, but now with Smartcar is a piece of cake.

Other than height i can take my van anywhere a car can go,,thats why i bought it,,,If we run out of road then its onto the push bikes,,BUSBY,,,:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
In Portugal recently the going rate for a hire car was £4 to £5 a day.

Same at Alicante airport last winter,,,BUSBY,,
Some car hire companies Will not accept it if you have a dog in the car.

Some that allow it , will charge a premium for cleaning afterwards.
You can't blame them,,as ex dog owner i know they smell and the hairs get everywhere,,,BUSBY,,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Comes back to same old problem yes you can hire a car and it's probably cheap but there is never a car hire close when you need one and it's so convenient having your own with you to do as you please without worrying about things like insurance and whether you can take the dogs with you.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you are a member of (say it quietly) the Caravan Club, there's a useful option which we have used many times.
The Club has a special arrangement with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, whereby one of their drivers picks you up from the Club site, Certificated Location or pretty much anywhere that you're staying.
He takes you to the local rental office where you complete the paperwork and drive off in your hire car. At the end of the rental period you return the car to the office and they take you back to your van.
For a car in the super-mini bracket we have always shelled out far less than £100 for a four-day rental.
Stef.
That as far as I know is standard for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. It happened to us in Cornwall without any reference to any club.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Initially, we did hire cars in the USA, But eventually we just did what everyone else does and got a Toad, (4WD Toyota pick-up, now in the possession of our middle Grandson!!) More for the convenience that anything, as it`s there when you want it AND over any "holiday" the hire price hikes and availability is none existent!, same in the UK.

Europe is a different "Kettle of Fish", as it is inadvisable to use an "A" frame, so then the only option is a Trailer, with its attendant on site storage issues, especially on "tight" pitches.

It`s the usual "Yer pays yer money!?.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Only ever needed to hire a car once,,usually walk cycle or use public transport..Got all the time in the world so no rush..push bike is our favourite mode,, BUSBY,,

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Before you decide to tow or not, check your licence. Mine when I drive my camper at 4.6tonne I can only tow 750kg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you think you need to tow a car then I would suggest a caravan would be a far better, cheaper option for you than a motorhome.
There's probably not a lot in it by the time you have bought a decent tow vehicle and caravan.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

I thought it was only in Germany and Spain that you can't use an A-Frame ;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You little devil you:devil::tmi:
popcorn.JPG

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe but it would be silly to define your MH future to exclude parts of Europe. Better to say say "this plan lets us roam free".
So do you think Brexit might affect whether we can use an A-Frame abroad?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So do you think Brexit might affect whether we can use an A-Frame abroad?

I've not the faintest idea. I'm just hinting at a way forward for them that does limit them in their future travels.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Were of to Spain for the Winter and this year were leaving the Motorhome behind and taking our 4 berth Swift Caravan which is normally sited on a seasonal pitch . Reason being is the need for transport and hiring a car although an option is not always possible due to location so the Motorhome is SORNED and we're dragging the TIn Box all the way down through France

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'll keep the thread going, had large motor homes, had car and caravans but now the only transport we have is a self build panel van conversion and a Citroën C1. No money left to change again so stuck with what we have and yes we trailer the C1 behind the van for our 6 months stay in Spain. Use the e bikes quite a bit but also the car is there if we wish to use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back