To Toll or not to Toll.... (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We recently drove down to the Macon just above Tours. Used the toll roads 4.5 hours to do around 300 miles cost €65 in tolls and a 3/4 tank of fuel.
Cruise control on at a constant 70mph.
We could have gone slower to conserve fuel but the Ducato purrs along at this speed.
If we were to do the equivalent mileage in the uk it would take nearer 6 or 7.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
When we did our european tour I took the non toll route across france, even not under any time pressure it was just daunting.
I ended up in local shopping centres after the main road just kind of ended up there. I ended up on back routes after Garmin (and I) went into meltdown.
The time before that trip, coming back from Carcossone I ended up on a diversion through some mountain passes (the HGV diversion was not properly sign posted).

Need any more convincing????

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Firstly, its worth using the mh sat nav if you have one. This will give more realistic times because the sat nav learns your normal driving speed on different roads, and you can usually set it to avoid tolls if you want to compare the two routes for distance and time.

Also, as people have mentioned once off the motorway, not only are there towns, villages and roundabouts, but the French have now devised a fiendish chicaine system at the start and end of each village which makes driving anything but pleasant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GPW

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I should have said I am purposely traveling after 10pm untill 6am to avoid trafic. I am thinking this may be fine on the none toll roads as I wont be driving more that 55-60mph anyway. comments please.
I think it will take longer than 27 hours as you can't really do those speeds in France anymore.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
We drove in France this year for the first time in 8 years. I'd say that the change in the road system and driving habits in that time is remarkable - There are far more 50kph limits; most towns and villages have 20kph zones with chicanes or monster speed humps that mean slowing to below 20kph in a van; there are roundabouts everywhere; the blanket 80kph limit - It all makes cross-country journeys much slower than they used to be.

French drivers seemed to be sticking rigidly to the speed limits - not hanging off your rear bumper as they seemingly used to. Indeed if we were overtaken when driving at the speed limit, it was usually a British registered car.

If you need to cover the ground quickly, dual carriageways and/or tolls are pretty much essential IMHO.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Heading to Ancona monday from Calais. I will be travelling after 8-10pm untill I hit my 500 mile mark. Thing is the toll route takes 20hours and covers 1313 miles, the none toll route takes 27 hours and covers 1359 miles. I am baffled at the time difference, any ideas folks? I'm thinking and aditional 7 hours drivong a 3 ltr motorhome could run into a lot of money. But the mile difference is staggering.... Help!!

We always leave early morning to drive down to Twin lakes south west France, and always use tolls, and travel on Sundays very few Lorries unless they are carrying food, long drive but some times don't see another motor for miles.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Although the attachment below is quite lengthy , it will get members through France in the most cost effective and speedy manner, if wanting to avoid Toll roads and make as much use of duel carriageways and toll free motorways.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award-winning database, ‘about France.com’. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost all Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

(Note: Toll costs for a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. €149.40). (Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using partial Toll = €11.50). (Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr.)).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 Motorway and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) Immediately after the Spanish border crossing on the motorway at Biriatou, Spanish Exit 1 (not French exit 1 before the border), clearly marked as the exit for N121a for Pamplona. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘Mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Funny, just thinking about it. These new speed limits for us make driving in France more enjoyable. We are hardly ever in any rush and now the roads seem quieter with, as mentioned above, far less tail-gating. And you've still got the choice, if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, of using the extensive and usually excellent autoroute system. I suppose folk object because we don't have toll motorways (well only one and nobody uses it) in the UK.
Win win IMO.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We never use tolls, just follow the signs to the next big place along the route. Never fails, our tomtom is demoted to speedometer in km/h and Google maps always displays where we are. ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Funny, just thinking about it. These new speed limits for us make driving in France more enjoyable. We are hardly ever in any rush and now the roads seem quieter with, as mentioned above, far less tail-gating. And you've still got the choice, if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, of using the extensive and usually excellent autoroute system. I suppose folk object because we don't have toll motorways (well only one and nobody uses it) in the UK.
Win win IMO.

I noticed that this year. I am usually conscious of cars behind anxious to overtake, but now if a give a quick right turn signal to indicate they are welcome to do so, when I usually ease of the throttle to assist, they now still hang back and just follow me, except the odd 'racer' who probably knows where the cameras and 'Flic' hang out.

It makes it more relaxing knowing I am not holding them up.

Geoff

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
It took me three solid days to get back from Crete, and that was patra / ancona too.
Use the tolls roads, trust me ???

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It took me three solid days to get back from Crete, and that was patra / ancona too.
Use the tolls roads, trust me ???
How did you find Crete? Any recommendations for stop overs and campsites. Probabbly going next year.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Dad was building a couple of houses out there so I stayed on his land ? no campsites used I'm afraid.
I wasn't all that well at the time so it was a somewhat stressful holiday all in all so that marred the experience.
Was based around Rethymno (spelling?) remember visiting a glass blowing place and some caves but the rest is a bit of a blur to be honest. ?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We much prefer not to use tolls but do encounter problems with the 3.5t weight limit restriction of which there are MANY and we are 7.2t

This was supposed to be sorted by using Sygic Truck in RV mode but Sygic have now admitted this dies not actually work and dies not take notice iff the 3.5t signs. Instead, we ave too use it in truck mode but that adds some additional complications where it starts to bring delivery times in to play.

I am having an ongoing argument with Sygic about this as the cost off the Maos was well over £100 and it doesn't work. I put a review on the App Store and they then put a developers response saying it was sorted - which it isn't so have updated my review with their email admitting that it simply does not work..

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are soon going to be doing a swift passage from Dunkirk to Provence(Valence)

We have never used tolls in France or anywhere(except a cheap £3.00 in Poland).

This time I am considering it, but since there is quite a lot of free dual carriageway and then we would be looking to exit the toll road and head off to some of our favourite Aires, taking up time and kms, I wonder whether we would save much time.

What do people who bomb down the Tolls do for nightstopping? - M/way Aires would be a no-no for us for safety and ambience reasons.

On balance I think we would take an extra day going down and accept that is one less day in Provence.

Geoff

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Simple really if using my car or in a mad hurry it's toll roads, if using my Motorhome it's non toll roads coz I am never in a hurry when I am in that.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just done six weeks on none toll roads loved every min of it and got as far as benidorm now on our way back up the none toll roads if your not in a hurry none toll all the way
Bill

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are soon going to be doing a swift passage from Dunkirk to Provence(Valence)

We have never used tolls in France or anywhere(except a cheap £3.00 in Poland).

This time I am considering it, but since there is quite a lot of free dual carriageway and then we would be looking to exit the toll road and head off to some of our favourite Aires, taking up time and kms, I wonder whether we would save much time.

What do people who bomb down the Tolls do for nightstopping? - M/way Aires would be a no-no for us for safety and ambience reasons.

On balance I think we would take an extra day going down and accept that is one less day in Provence.

Geoff
We use a mixture of toll and non toll to suit the circumstances at the time. We never stay on motorway Aires. Not just because they are not very secure, but also because of the pervading smell of p**s in many of them.

It is very easy to find plenty of proper Aires de camping car or their equivalent not far off our route, using Campercontact mainly, whether or not that route is a motorway

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We use autoroutes (which are not always toll) to get to the bit of France we want to visit, then we pootle around on the local roads comparing the speed bumps and 30kph sections to the ones we encounter every week at home just doing the shopping. Remarkably similar, usually.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back