To sog or not to sog (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
That is the question.:rollingeyes:
When researching about motorhomes one of the items on my list was a sog system, seemed like common sense, no messing about with chemicals and more eviro friendly.
Browsing a thread last night the subject of this system came up one member commented on having to tape up the outlet on his neighbouring MH because of the smell:sicker:
I thought these systems had a filter system?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
They do Have filters , but they need changing. If it was that bad , maybe they'd never done it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
It's all here but takes some wading through
Broken Link Removed
Thanks Techno, suppose I should have done a search but didn't think that they would be so controversial, yer not kidding about the wading:eek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
See what I mean two posts and both compleat opposites, just need one or two of the characters on here to really lower the tone now:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
We don't have a SOG, we do use cheapo supermarket bio washing tabs and empty the cssette every 1-2 days depending on usage, doesn't smell any worse thn emptying a cassette with blue chem in it.

D.
Does this affect the eviro side? Could you still empty it in the normal sewage system?

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We thought about one, you can park overnight at the factory in Germany, but having been parked next to stinky one's decided not to have one, they are OK if you change the filter, but I would not mind betting some don't have one in, and some are home made.:eek:
And a lot of people I spoke to still added something because they could not stand the smell when emptying.:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Does this affect the eviro side? Could you still empty it in the normal sewage system?

As far as I'm aware it is perfectly fine to empty into a septic tank sewerage system as there is only poo, wee and bio washing detergent, nothing different to what goes down the drain at home.

D.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Its like everything that needs maintenance if you dont do it it dont work right, dont blame the equipment blame the operator.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We had them on our last two vans, this one has Thetfords own version built in from new.
We also use the washing liquid/liquitabs whichever is cheapest, & we frequently empty into our own septic tank with no problems.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have one they're great had one on our old van as well. I think the comments about bio down a septic tank are incorrect as the bio affects (kills)the microbes and the septic tank does not digest the solids as it should its different to the mains.:cheers:

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The biggest advantage (depending on how you use your loo*) is no smell in the bathroom or the rest of the van.

*If you use the loo with the flap open for solids.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have one they're great had one on our old van as well. I think the comments about bio down a septic tank are incorrect as the bio affects (kills)the microbes and the septic tank does not digest the solids as it should its different to the mains.:cheers:
This is indeed true. I have made contact with SOG customer care who say, quote, " do not use any chemicals, in fact it destroys the good bacteria needed to work efficiently"
Phil

Upvote 0
OP
OP
barsteward
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
This is indeed true. I have made contact with SOG customer care who say, quote, " do not use any chemicals, in fact it destroys the good bacteria needed to work efficiently"
Phil
Thanks for that was just going to go and buy some non bio.
SOG it is then:clap:

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Not really felt the need to spend the extra and change what system I've already got, (thetford cassette)........just make sure I empty it regularly

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back