To Slide or Not to slide (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've never been a slide lover, too many negatives for me.. IMO you don't need them in a 36 footer..

I'll go and hide now.. :rollonfloor: :RollEyes:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I agree Jim, maybe we should hide together :roflmto::roflmto:
As an engineer, the mechanics of the slide out is just fraught with potential problems, I found the article very interesting to read and it just confirmed my thoughts about slides....
Anyway, each to their own eh??

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would not buy an RV without a slide. (The more the merrier) The difference to the living area is worth every bit of additional weight especially for a large family. But then I have a C licence so weight is not really a concern, I understand that they do nick a lot of payload, so if you are trying to stay under 7.5 ton then it is a big consideration. But Slides are why I bought an RV, if I couldn't have slides then I would buy European, a nice fat German A class.::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I would love a slide but know americans that dont.

They like to travel and camp overnight without the agro of pitching up (however easy it is)

To be honest it's horses for courses.

I went out to the states with the intention and enough cash to buy a slide but my bottle went when it came to it as the DVLA worries were raging this time last year:RollEyes:

If I go again it will be to buy a slide.

Anyone wanna buy a Sellers:winky:

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
I would find it difficult to justify the size and fuel costs of an RV if I didn't have a slide. For us, as fulltimers, we spend a LOT of time in the living/dining area, which is given much more space by virtue of the slide.

But I would not buy a coach with more than one slide, because of the cost, complexity, & weight issues cited.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Bruce

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: When Wild Camping we have never used a Slide-Out. When on a Campsite (Campground in the USA) we always use the Slide-Out. It really DOES make a difference. :winky:

BTW. NEWMAR were the innovators of Slide-Outs. All the others followed suite.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Like some of the others I would not buy an RV without a slide to me that extra space is what my Rv is all about.

If I was buying a Rv without a slide I would'nt entertain American I would buy a German model

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I would not buy an RV without a slide it makes so much difference to our overall comfort.

Of course before we had a slideout I didn't think they were important but now having had one I could not go back to a non slide coach.

Wish I could afford an RV with more than one slide! ::bigsmile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just one note about the link. Did anyone notice how old that piece is?? The update has a date stamp of Feb 1999!! :Eeek: Thats over 8 1/2 years ago!! :Doh:

Slide technology I would have thought has come a long way since it was written, especially if they had major problems when they first came out.

For me, I love em!!!:thumb: In fact mines got 3 on it and I only wish it had more!!!:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Purely posted as a talking point for further discussion:roflmto:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
For me its got to be slides, as suzy said technology has moved on alot since 1999. No problems so far with operation or sealing, and after visiting the weighbridge fully loaded with petrol, LPG, water and all susans clothes last month I still have over half a ton of payload left.::bigsmile:

There is more to go wrong, but you can say the same about the engines, fuel injection, ECU, and all the eco stuff they put on, most of us can do a few basic checks but after that if it won't start we are buggered. 20 years ago we could fix most things that went wrong.

To get the same internal storage we would need to go up to a 34-36' and that would make the RV less manoeuvrable and slightly reduce the sites we could get on.

We do use it with the slides in when we stop overnight at service stations and longer when wildcamping without any problems, just incase some idiot gets to close and tries to take one of.

I admire people like Jim who drive a 36' or 38' around without a care in the world, but that's to big for me, and the only way in short length RV to get good internal space is with slides.

Olley

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Our RV is 9 years old and has a huge dinnette/sofa slide.
Makes a massive difference to our 30' RV we wouldnt be without it especially as we live in it fulltime.
Have never had any problems with it at all during our 2 years of occupancy.
have been to the weighbridge with it when we first picked it up and when van was empty with full fuel driver and passenger we still had just under 1000kg to spare for payload...

:thumb: for slides from us :thumb:

Keith and Debs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back