To slide or not to slide, that is the question (van windows) (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I'm at the stage now where I'm going to be putting in the side windows in our LWB Crafter project, I've opted for having windows in the sliding door and in the opposite panel but I can't decide if I should get opening windows. I have two roof fans in place already for ventilation and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to go for opening windows.

I figure that if pitched up at a site then the side door can be opened for extra ventilation if needed and at night they wouldn't be open anyway, I'd be interested to see what others have gone for and their thoughts on their choices.

Martin

Attachments

• crafterside.jpg
    crafterside.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 14
Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I have opening windows on each side of my conversion...................never use them!! like you I have opening rooflights and when lots of ventilation is required I open the SLD door and I can have that half open or fully open, if the weather is not good but still want the SLD door open I put the awning out just a little to shade the door from either sun or rain. I guess if your kitchen area is near the opening window then it could be used for ventilation, I have a skylight above the kitchen area so I just open that to let any steam/ cooking fumes out.

Deleted User
If you're considering wild camping abroad in the future then be aware that opening of top hinged windows is considered camping activity not parking and is prohibited in many places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Any opening window is a potential security risk. The ones the converters put in are really easy to open just look on YouTube.
I like to look out at the world from inside so windows are good and in really hot weather its nice to have them all open

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There have been many times when we have felt the need to have all our windows open to try and catch a bit of cooling drought. We have top hinged ones in sliding door, at the rear on side opposite sliding door, and one one each rear door. Then we have a sliding window at rear on side of sliding door. There are 3 opening vents in roof, one very large!
I think it depends on your likely destinations.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you're considering wild camping abroad in the future then be aware that opening of top hinged windows is considered camping activity not parking and is prohibited in many places.
We wild camp whenever possible and I’ve never come across this restriction.
Not saying you are wrong but just that it’s not something I would worry about. The only concern would be security at night if any side windows left open.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We wild camp whenever possible and I’ve never come across this restriction.
Not saying you are wrong but just that it’s not something I would worry about. The only concern would be security at night if any side windows left open.

I think what Sillious Sodus is talking about is in France and Spain some areas ban camping activities.
These are referred to as
opening windows in sides of vehicle
using table and chairs outside
use of clothes lines
there are a few more in some place but these are the main ones

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think what Sillious Sodus is talking about is in France and Spain some areas ban camping activities.
These are referred to as
opening windows in sides of vehicle
using table and chairs outside
use of clothes lines
there are a few more in some place but these are the main ones
Yes, I’ve been on lots like that and have always obeyed the no chairs\washing rules about camping behaviour. At the same time having a window open has never seemed to be a problem as long as legally parked.

Deleted User
If you are thinking about getting your van reclassified as a motor caravan then have a look at the new conversion guidelines published by the DVLA. They are asking for at least 2 windows (excluding drivers or passengers window) on at least one side of the van otherwise it will likely be reclassified as a van with windows rather than motor caravan.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I used Setz sliding ones each side of the van, one of the reasons is that you could travel with them open if it was hot as we don’t have any van aircon.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we had a Rapido 709F it had a 'sash' style sliding window in the door (ie up/down opening) it was very useful for when we were having salad and hubby wanted to tip the water away out of the spinner rather than move stuff off the lid of the sink to do so.

We've had sliders in a few MHs and a camper and they are great for having extra ventilation when on the move especially for our dogs as the cab air con can struggle to keep the whole van cool in very hot weather.

The disadvantage is that if it's raining you can't really have a sliding window open but can do so with a top hinged one.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
It'll be mostly official sites we'll be staying at so no issues there, the most adventurous we'll get will be the French Aires
Any opening window is a potential security risk. The ones the converters put in are really easy to open just look on YouTube.
Didn't think about that, but it is a concern.
If you are thinking about getting your van reclassified as a motor caravan then have a look at the new conversion guidelines published by the DVLA. They are asking for at least 2 windows (excluding drivers or passengers window) on at least one side of the van otherwise it will likely be reclassified as a van with windows rather than motor caravan.
I was in on a thread about this the other day, I read it as having to have 2 windows overall on the sides, thinking that one one each side would be fine. After reading this again I thought I'd phone DVLA to confirm, the woman I spoke to didn't seem confident in her answer but she said she reads it as having at least 2 windows on one of the sides.
I think I'm going to put in an extra small slide window in the back quarter to be sure.
Reading between the lines I reckon that the police have had issues with stealth vans and they have requested that they must be clearly recognisable a a motorhome in order to get changed. Am I right in saying that panel vans have different speed limits to motorhomes?

Cheers for all your replies, I'm thinking that for security and cost I'm going to go for fixed, I've already spent far too much on the build! ( So my wife tells me ?)

Martin

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
When we had a Rapido 709F it had a 'sash' style sliding window in the door (ie up/down opening) it was very useful for when we were having salad and hubby wanted to tip the water away out of the spinner rather than move stuff off the lid of the sink to do so.

We've had sliders in a few MHs and a camper and they are great for having extra ventilation when on the move especially for our dogs as the cab air con can struggle to keep the whole van cool in very hot weather.

The disadvantage is that if it's raining you can't really have a sliding window open but can do so with a top hinged one.
As well as dogs if you have any facilities for carrying passengers they are going to appreciate sliding open windows on the move. Only one we had was in Rapido also, a 710f , and rarely found in coach built or A class now.

Deleted User
There have been discussions elsewhere about the window requirements but it seems quite clear to me.
"2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) "

I take this to mean at least 2 in the living area plus the drivers or passengers window. The reasons for changing the criteria for reclassification is to make the van look like a motor caravan rather than just looking like a van with windows.

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
I'm building a Crafter at the moment. I went for the sliding windows. Before starting my build I had a look at many other vans and I came across a few without opening windows and I felt those vans would have benefited from opening windows. If you only use them very rarely then maybe it feels like a waste but as they don't cost that much more I would rather have them and rarely use them than wanting them and not having them.

Consider the privacy aspect as well. If you are at camp sites you are often very close to other people. Having the side door open may not feel like an option. Being able to shut the door and crack a window isa a real nice to have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back