To Skew or not to Skew that is the Question (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Chaps

I’m in the process of changing my MH’s both have a 85cm dish installed; on mine at the moment is an Oyster Autoskew which works very well and can pick up intlsat 907; on the one I’m purchasing it has a Maxiview Target 85cm dish with manual skew.

My question is which is the better system and how important is auto skew especially when travelling abroad and can the Maxiview pick up intelsat 907? over Europe?

If the Oyster is superior to the Maxiview Target I might get them swapped over.

Also while I’m talking about satellite systems I’m in the process of updating the Oyster but can’t find the small usb lead which plugs into the control box to update it, does anyone know what type of usb adapter lead I need.

Best Wishes Tony

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I use a stand alone sat dish have the skew set to standard which I believe is between 10 and 15 degrees and gave never changed it. That is from North Scotland down to med coast.
The elevation changes significantly as you probably know.
But I have had no noticeable issues.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Plese dissregard the last part of the thread where it says I need a USB cable to update my Oyster I've found the one that came with it, so problem solved.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Skew varies with your latitude and longitude, if your in a strong signal area, it wont make much difference, however once you start getting below 50% signal strength it can make quite a big difference, you probably won't want to get up on the roof and start tweaking your LNB when your down the South of France and it will be difficult to adjust without a meter or a helper to shout up to you what the signal strength is doing so if you have the choice go for the auto skew, is my opinion. Or stream to a firestick if you don't need sky, or to a laptop and use sky go if you must have Sky. Currently I stream to my laptop mostly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My question is which is the better system and how important is auto skew especially when travelling abroad and can the Maxiview pick up intelsat 907? over Europe?
It changed to 901 a year or two ago. According to the Maxview site it has Autoskew, if you can pick up 901 will depend on the LNB & receiver as 901 transmits at much higher frequencies than a lot of systems can handle.
Probably worth doing a search of the satellite forums.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi Chaps

I’m in the process of changing my MH’s both have a 85cm dish installed; on mine at the moment is an Oyster Autoskew which works very well and can pick up intlsat 907; on the one I’m purchasing it has a Maxiview Target 85cm dish with manual skew.

If the Oyster is superior to the Maxiview Target I might get them swapped over.

Also while I’m talking about satellite systems I’m in the process of updating the Oyster but can’t find the small usb lead which plugs into the control box to update it, does anyone know what type of usb adapter lead I need.

Best Wishes Tony
I use a Target 85cm with autoskew which works fine on Intelsat 901 when in Spain and Portugal
The Maxview Target both autoskew and non autoskew models can both be updated via USB stick to receive 901

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
use a Target 85cm with autoskew which works fine on Intelsat 901 when in Spain and Portugal
Thanks for that; it's a shame mine is manual Skew; I wonder if it can be updated to install just the skew system on the one that's installed on the MH I'm getting.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thanks for that; it's a shame mine is manual Skew; I wonder if it can be updated to install just the skew system on the one that's installed on the MH I'm getting.
I know Maxview sell the necessary parts to upgrade from a 65cm to an 85cm or single to twin LNB
And the wiring harness does both autoskew and non autoskew models
I would phone them up and pose the question , I found them very helpful

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I would phone them up and pose the question , I found them very helpful
Hi Neil S the Maxiview cannot be modified to include autoskew, but it was worth a call.
Many Thanks Tony

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
just a suggestion but why don’t you keep your Oyster 85 and when you get your new Motorhome with the Maxview Target 85 download the software to include Intelsat 901
Maxview will send you the software file
Then try it here in the U.K. it will work IMO

I previously had a Maxview Seeker 65cm without Autoskew on my caravan and I uploaded the new software and it picked up Intelsat 901 in Northern and Central Spain .
It struggled to receive down on the Costas but I put that down to the dish size being only 65cm

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
just a suggestion but why don’t you keep your Oyster 85 and when you get your new Motorhome with the Maxview Target 85 download the software to include Intelsat 901
Hi Neil S when I get my new MH I will have both 85cm Oyster on my old MH and 85cm on my new MH. I'm thinking of finding out how much it will cost to swap both over; but that might change on how much that would cost and if I can be bothered with it.
Best Wishes Tony

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi Neil S when I get my new MH I will have both 85cm Oyster on my old MH and 85cm on my new MH. I'm thinking of finding out how much it will cost to swap both over; but that might change on how much that would cost and if I can be bothered with it.
Best Wishes Tony
Tony its an easy process to update , ask Maxview for the software file with Intelsat 901 and then download it to a USB stick and then follow Maxview's instructions to upload .
Its a 5 minute process and easy to follow and I'm not that computer literate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back