To sell or not to sell? (1 Viewer)

MrBryan

Free Member
Apr 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail 730
We have a motorhome to sell, we advertised it with AutoTrader. We’ve had a good offer, we asked them if they were dealers and they said no, then on doing some research we found that they were, the person I spoke to tried to make out he was a private buyer. He's advertising motorhomes for sale on AutoTrader and Facebook. He’s very keen.
We asked for his name and address and he hasn’t given it. what are the dangers?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MrBryan

Free Member
Apr 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail 730
Auto-Leisure, Bradford

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As long as they give you the price you are after and all the money is in your account before you hand over the keys it don't mater
I agree with Garfield on this one, as long as you get the money you want and the funds are paid and cleared does it matter or are you worried that you may get more as he will obviously make a profit, don't for get all the implications of dealing , storage, insurance, defect repairs.

If you don't want it let the best offer have it.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
I recently sold my van to a dealer which was very easy, money transferred on collection, I can recommend 2, one will do it on sale or return basis. The other is slightly less money but cash on collection.
Send me a PM if you would info.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If he's a dealer and hasn't been honest then would i be naive to think he may try to knock you down once he gets there ? i can see lots of excuses coming about why it's now not worth what he had agreed to pay.....

Then again if he's willing to pay an acceptable amount for the van then why not.

Or is your question "have i sold it too cheap" as now knowing a dealer can make profit from it you're questioning your original advertisement price ?

Upvote 0

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
If he's a dealer and hasn't been honest then would i be naive to think he may try to knock you down once he gets there ? i can see lots of excuses coming about why it's now not worth what he had agreed to pay.....

Then again if he's willing to pay an acceptable amount for the van then why not.

Or is your question "have i sold it too cheap" as now knowing a dealer can make profit from it you're questioning your original advertisement price ?
That’s exactly what happened to me.. a car dealer from Ipswich wanted the motorhome “for himself”.. I didn’t care that he was a dealer but told him the price before he made the 4 hour journey to view the motorhome.. He looked around it for almost two hours then walked because I refused to take £300 less than we’d agreed.. I re-advertised on eBay (which cost me another £20) and a fabulous family bought it for my asking price which was £500 more than numb nuts offered... The buyer said “why are you selling it so cheap?” But it had some issues that he was fully aware of, hence the price

I couldn’t have been happier

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My partner's son left it too late to sell his car before emigrating so resorted to one of the WeBuyAny......' online advertisers.
When he took it there they found numerous 'faults' and offered £2500 instead of the online 'guaranteed' figure of £3200.

Upvote 0

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
My partner's son left it too late to sell his car before emigrating so resorted to one of the WeBuyAny......' online advertisers.
When he took it there they found numerous 'faults' and offered £2500 instead of the online 'guaranteed' figure of £3200.
They tried that with a smart car we were selling.. they wanted £50 per stone chip (3) so we walked and I sold to a local buyer..

They’re ok if you are desperate

Only one has honoured the offer price for me on an immaculate Hyundai IX35 at Evans Halshaw but none of the others ever have

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They tried that with a smart car we were selling.. they wanted £50 per stone chip (3) so we walked and I sold to a local buyer..

They’re ok if you are desperate

Only one has honoured the offer price for me on an immaculate Hyundai IX35 at Evans Halshaw but none of the others ever have
Evans halshaw are supposed to be good at that, but they do offer less at the start.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Vantage Sol
We had a similar experience MrBryan-a man made sure he saw our 19 yr old motorhome before anyone else and offered us less than we'd advertised it for saying it wasn't worth the full price because the older part of the service history was missing. He said he wanted it for himself to replace his 6 month old California!! We said no and sold it to the next viewer for full price. The answer is, if this man has made an offer, its very likely worth more so hold off and wait for a better offer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back