To reverse or not to reverse? (1 Viewer)

cineve

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
The reversing question is to do with levelling ramps. For the first time we have noticed 2 'schools of thought': the one - as we have been doing - is that you drive your van forward up front blocks, and the other is that it is better for the van to reverse up front blocks.
Any factual info out there to suppor either or?

OP
OP
C

cineve

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
Sorry, I didn't explain very well :rolleyes:
It isn't the actual driving up the ramps but rather the staying up on them once parked. So in the first instance the ramps would be positioned in front of the front tyres and up you go; in the second the ramps are positioned behind the front tyres and up you go.
So the differing opinions revolve around whether there is more strain on handbrake, I think. :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Makes no difference to handbrake either way drive on or reverse apply brake and leave in first gear. But that's for my PVC not sure about an 8tonne monster.
I always go for direction of least resistance- ground falling away to front = drive on - falling away to rear = reverse on.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The best, if not thinking of gearing, is to drive up the ramps, with the ramps being in the opposite direction to the slope you are trying to avoid. That way the vehicle is less likely to roll off them.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Previous respondents have pretty much provided all the information you need. I can’t add anything else to what has already been said.

Ian

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Drive on. Then if they decide to sink as going on they don't wedge themselves under the van.
Same coming off, their is always a possibility of them flipping up at the end and getting stuck or causing damage, also the mudflaps aren't in the way if you have such things.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Ramps for many chassis are required on level ground to lift the front. For a manual box I'd drive on forwards but my comfortmatic keeps the clutch engaged going forwards so it's better for me to reverse on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ramps for many chassis are required on level ground to lift the front. For a manual box I'd drive on forwards but my comfortmatic keeps the clutch engaged going forwards so it's better for me to reverse on.
I have a Comformatic, no difference apart from the risk of burning the clutch out if you reverse on.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Keep it simple. Drive up forwards. That’s what the professionals do.
I don’t have self levellers coz I am too mean and miserable to spend money,but the evidence suggests they are probably the most cherished add-on for a lot of Funsters

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I have a Comformatic, no difference apart from the risk of burning the clutch out if you reverse on.
Mine hits a certain rpm and the clutch stays engaged going forwards - I've flown off the far end a couple of times. In reverse it doesn't seem to stay engaged so you can control it better. I'll try twinkle toes with my slippers on and see if that works ??

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I've done both without problems. At Newbury last year, our pitch was steeply sloped sideways (we were in general camping) I had both my nearside wheels on the top of my milenco quatros and it still wasn't perfectly level, stepping out the door was like jumping from a 1st floor window.

OP
OP
C

cineve

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Wow, Thank you all for so much food for thought. Am now going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons with the 2 factions ... :devil:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have one other factor.

If its wet, and grass and youre going to be there a couple of days then leaving the drive wheels on the chocks so that you can drive out with wife running round vehicle in the rain removing them as you go (even if you have to turn round to park) saves you nicking bread baskets from Sainsburys.

Been there done that

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Re stopping where intended on the ramps: if you can't left-foot brake (I can't with any finesse) use the handbrake to stop where you want to. Only then release the accelerator.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
The handbrake is actually an emergency brake. The effort is designed to stop the vehicle rolling forward. Although you might have disc brakes all round the handbrake is normally a shoe brake.
I always try to reverse onto ramps, just watch your mud flaps from catching.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Makes no difference to handbrake either way drive on or reverse apply brake and leave in first gear. But that's for my PVC not sure about an 8tonne monster.
I always go for direction of least resistance- ground falling away to front = drive on - falling away to rear = reverse on.

Second paragraph is the important one, that way the ramps are helping to defy gravity, i.e. resist rolling away should the hand brake not be fully engaged.

First paragraph relating to strain on the hand brake. The brake is purely a friction device applied by the pull on the hand brake cable (or electric wind-on motor if you have one). I guess users always pull the brake on reasonably hard in all parking instances. If you need exceptional force to get the hand brake to hold then there is a good chance that it is faulty any way.

Unfortunately, as those with VWs with swivel seats will know, the hand brake has to be off with the driver's seat turned so we are always in gear (or Park) and probably chocked.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The handbrake is actually an emergency brake. The effort is designed to stop the vehicle rolling forward. Although you might have disc brakes all round the handbrake is normally a shoe brake.
I always try to reverse onto ramps, just watch your mud flaps from catching.
Not long ago all brakes used shoes. The brake will operate in either direction. Stopping the van under the circumstances I described will have no effect on the longevity or operation of the handbrake and offers optimum control. An electric handbrake may not offer the same advantages. There is no safe way to "inch" a vehicle in either direction without using the handbrake (or left foot braking).

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Perhaps you should get a spade and dig a groop to lower the high end and taking the strain off the handbrake.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I use both methods - but the choice usually comes from how much room I've got in either direction. For instance if I have to park close to a hedge/wall I'll try to arrange it so that when I come off I'll be travelling away from said obstruction. Other than that if I have to use the ramps the best way usually suggests itself. Have never had problems reversing my 2007 Ducato now with over 118000 miles on it, even onto the ramps.

On the level the van sits slightly nose down, which I often just accept. However the rear air suspension assist often stretches itself after a decent run, making it even more nose down so I then need some ramp assistance. I've got Milenco Quatros which are stored in an easy to get to position in the locker; did initially have some Fiamma ones but they were not very good and the "cups" that the wheels sit in on the Quatros make levelling easy.

However, despite the Quatros being quite tall even they are occasionally not enough - so I go and park somewhere else!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back