LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
On my 5th wheel I have a big Nylon/Plasticky type washer that fits around the pin, and is a bit smaller than the 5th wheel plate/coupling,,

I have looked in the manual but cannot find any reference to this,, I seem to remember being told this was an add on, so as to do away with grease,,

Can any 5th wheelers confirm this or should I still "Grease" the 5th wheel coupling??

I have attached a photo,, The grease is where I have greased the pin and can wipe it off the washertype thing if need be,,

Thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That little item requires no maintenance, and should be kept clean and free from grease,
we have similar items on our tilt and slide Recovery and they are as you describe, meant to be grease free
Adding grease attracts particles of dirt, and seriously increases wear on the nylon:Eeek:
When worn out simply revert to grease or replace item:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
That little item requires no maintenance, and should be kept clean and free from grease,
we have similar items on our tilt and slide Recovery and they are as you describe, meant to be grease free
Adding grease attracts particles of dirt, and seriously increases wear on the nylon:Eeek:
When worn out simply revert to grease or replace item:thumb:
Geo

Thanks "Geo",, :thumb:

I thought that is what I was told but so much to try and remember.

I shall get the grease wiped off..:Smile:

Still got a lot to learn on these 5th wheel contraptions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
To grease or not to grease

Hi Old Mo,

These are colloqually known as lube plates, they are a silicon impregnated plate that fits in between the hitch and kingpin plates. They are designed to operate grease free, in fact apart from the occasional inspection they ate virtually maintenance free.

I have some on order from the United States, I can always arrange some for you as and when I am ordering and shipping again. PM me and I will get you the details.

HTH

Rob

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Hi there i bought my lube plate of ebay and is the best thing i did no more grease to deal with aroung the 5th wheel and maintenace free:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi there i bought my lube plate of ebay and is the best thing i did no more grease to deal with aroung the 5th wheel and maintenace free:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks "Andy" I had not thought of e.bay, I will have a look. :thumb:

Safetyman

Free Member
Apr 5, 2008
Funster No
Fiver Lubrication

Hi All
Just catching up with some of the threads I have missed, the plate you refer to is made of PTFE and is said to have the slip co-efficiency near to ice, had mine for 4 years with no problems and agree they need to be kept free of grease.
Regards
Malc

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi All
Just catching up with some of the threads I have missed, the plate you refer to is made of PTFE and is said to have the slip co-efficiency near to ice, had mine for 4 years with no problems and agree they need to be kept free of grease.
Regards
Malc

Bought a couple from a well known and very helpful family run M/H repair and spares supplier, nothing to much trouble for them , Ordered one day delivered next. :thumb:

They also do home repair and serviceing.. on anything American. M/H & Trucks.

Also sent a huge catalogue, with just about every spare and add on you could wish for,, ::bigsmile:

But my Misses has confiscated it saying I dont need nothing else. :cry:

I bought 2, as I was not sure how long they would last, :Doh:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Bought a couple from a well known and very helpful family run M/H repair and spares supplier, nothing to much trouble for them , Ordered one day delivered next. :thumb:

They also do home repair and serviceing.. on anything American. M/H & Trucks.

Also sent a huge catalogue, with just about every spare and add on you could wish for,, ::bigsmile:

But my Misses has confiscated it saying I dont need nothing else. :cry:

I bought 2, as I was not sure how long they would last, :Doh:

come on Mo name names who did you get them off,I could do with a spare lube plate,how are you getting on with reversing camera? what make did you go for?what sort of plug connection do they use between 5ver & truck can you run with it on full time & not just when reversing.
Regards Tink

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
come on Mo name names who did you get them off,I could do with a spare lube plate,how are you getting on with reversing camera? what make did you go for?what sort of plug connection do they use between 5ver & truck can you run with it on full time & not just when reversing.
Regards Tink

Hi Tink,
Was not sure if I was allowed to put web sites up,, so here goes, Most of my sewage hoses, lube plates and bits I got from Mobile RV Maintenance Home Page
Give them a bell and ask them to send you one of their catalogues,, loads of stuff in that is not on there web site.

The camera I got from this guy on e.bay,, cbeeeeee1111111 or his shop on e.bay is reversingcamerasuk.

He made up a 5mtr length with all weather (male) plug and another 20 mtr length with a (female) plug on to run to the camera.. The whole lot was £167.99 and £10.99 post & packing. I cannot find the box nor the instructions, so cannot give you the name. (will keep looking)

And it works better than an expensive one I had put on my tag axle,,, nice clear colour picture and superb picture at night. Fitted it myself in half a day. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
OOOps,, for got your last question :Doh:

I have wired mine independantly (cos I aint got reversing lights on the 5er) and put it through a separate on/off switch,, you are not supposed to switch cameras off other than at the 3 monitor,, I have put a switch strategically placed so I dont forget and just unplug at the rear of the truck & 5th wheel,, which can damage the monitor,,

Hope you can understand what I have written,, If not pm me and I will give you a bell.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back