Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
I'm contemplating having the Comfortmatic on our new Motorhome. It's a manual box with an automatic clutch. Does anyone have any idea whether fuel consumption will be much different from a full manual? Also if you use it in manual mode can you shift gears just like a manual, both up and down the box?

It's £1700 difference, and I quite fancy the it, but would like some feedback from those who have it already.

Martin

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a 2010 Comfortmatic with 3.0L, average mpg for last 12 month over 6000 miles 27.5. If we are light footed (60-65) and mainly Motorway then 29mpg, as managed on the run to Chester and back, but Peterborough was back down to 27 mpg loads of traffic and roundabouts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got it.............. I prefer to leave mine in the manual position..

I like to be in control of the gear changing when slowing...

Have used the Auto part..... And I think it is more economical in the manual mode...

5 ton tag axle approx 23 - 25 MPG.. with the 3 litre engine (Fiat)..(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Fuel consumption should be virtually the same as a manual - because that is what it is. I would be wary of comparing reported mpg from different drivers with or without the auto box. Any differences will be down to driving style.

And yes, you can drive it like a manual if you want, and even in auto mode you can force it to change up or down, which is something I do but rarely do I put it in manual but occasionally on twisty roads with changing inclines it can help to stop the box changing up and down rapidly - but this is rarely necessary.

The only weakness I have found is changes from second to first on the move can be jerky. All other changes are silk smooth.

But as suggested, get a test drive in one but don't be put off by feelings of panic as you approach a junction and instinct wants you to press a clutch pedal, you will I am sure rapidly get used to it. I did.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Ditto 5t tag axle, however even driving modestly only does 22-23 mpg based on tank to tank. Fuel computer says 27. As its a standard dry plate clutch can't see that there should be any difference between auto & manual.

Very pleased with the comfortmatic not designed for racing but works well, rarely used in manual. Decent engine braking.

As others have advised take one for a spin. Good luck

OP
OP
LaMB

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a stranger to auto clutch boxes, as I drive modern articulated trucks from time to time, and from the replies it seems the comfortmatic is the same. My main worry was if fuel consumption was compromised. An auto box cannot see a hill coming, or hold off changing down is nearly at the top of the hill, but I guess manual override will be needed in those situations to be more economical.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
you will be surprised at just how good the box is I have the 3 litre with it and never need to use it in manual it knows when you are going up or down hill, it is slower and more sedate than in manual on acceleration as power is reduced in lower gears to help traction, best yet 32mpg when 50mph restrictions usually get between 27/29 depending on speed.
If I was to buy another van it would be with this gearbox I like it

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
An example of how it knows you are on a hill is if stopped pointing up hill when you come off brake on to accelerator brake holds you for just enough time to move your foot.when pointing down hill stopped brake does not stay on as above .Clever stuff computers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
you will be surprised at just how good the box is I have the 3 litre with it and never need to use it in manual it knows when you are going up or down hill, it is slower and more sedate than in manual on acceleration as power is reduced in lower gears to help traction, best yet 32mpg when 50mph restrictions usually get between 27/29 depending on speed.
If I was to buy another van it would be with this gearbox I like it
It knows when it is on a hill of course but it cannot anticipate a hill it hasn't reached yet. For example, if you are trundling along a flat road and then need to turn off onto another Road which goes steeply up hill it won't change down until you are actually on the hill. Normally this isn't a problem if it only has to change down to third or second, these are very smooth, but if you are going very slowly, as might be the case in a town and it is in second already before you turn into that steep little cobbled street, then it will drop down to first and this is a bit rough in my experience and the front wheels can momentarily skid if the surface is poor.
This can be avoided by getting it into the right gear before you hit the hill.

And the hill start feature is brilliant, but it is an extra, comes as part of one of the extras packs, it is not standard although it may be on the 2015 models.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It knows when it is on a hill of course but it cannot anticipate a hill it hasn't reached yet. For example, if you are trundling along a flat road and then need to turn off onto another Road which goes steeply up hill it won't change down until you are actually on the hill. Normally this isn't a problem if it only has to change down to third or second, these are very smooth, but if you are going very slowly, as might be the case in a town and it is in second already before you turn into that steep little cobbled street, then it will drop down to first and this is a bit rough in my experience and the front wheels can momentarily skid if the surface is poor.
This can be avoided by getting it into the right gear before you hit the hill.
Pressing the UP button while still on the flat lets the box cope with that situation much better. Without it, as you say, it can get itself in a bit if a knot - just about the only time it ever does. Mind you, they could have positioned the UP button better - it's a bit awkward where it is; the gear lever gets in the way a bit.

[The UP button selects the 'Hill' mode. The box holds the gears for longer going up & gives more engine braking when going down the other side.]

While it can't read the road ahead, it is very good at reacting to the road it's on. I only feel the need to nudge it up or down a gear about once every hundred miles or so. (y)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
I know this is a bit of an old thread but looking to purchase a new van with "auto" box and wondered if any issues have arisen with box or are people generally pleased with it?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mines 2½ years old done 20k no issues, the slow change from take off improves once the engine is fully run in, mine it got better at 12-14k. Software is setup for a fully run in engine which is 15k.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Very pleased with the comformatic. Gives you the options of manual change or there is a "hills" button which forces staying in a lower gear for longer. My husband was a sceptic, now a convert.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I know this is a bit of an old thread but looking to purchase a new van with "auto" box and wondered if any issues have arisen with box or are people generally pleased with it?
Two years old now, only 7,000 miles but no issues and I am really pleased with it (y)

macscrooge

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2015
We've now done 1,000 miles with our Comfortmatic 'box (2017 Benimar Mileo 202). Herself still isn't convinced but I am very comfortable with it. We went for this option for two main reasons:
1. I drive an automatic car
2. Herself is not tall and the clutch in our previous MH (2013 AS Symbol) was a bit of a stretch.

It is at first a bit disconcerting as the gear changes feel more like a slightly ponderous manual than a slushmatic. But aside from the absent clutch pedal I suppose it is a manual.
Most of the mileage have so far done was in Europe and I really felt the benefit in the hilly Ardennes and in traffic.

I just leave the transmission to make its own decisions - just as the flappy paddles in my BMW remain largely unused.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We're big fans of the comfortmatic gearbox, which we have had for 12 months.

As I mentioned in another post, we went over the Grossglockner high Alpine road in Austria last week - over 2,500 metres (circa 8,125 ft) with barely a hiccup. And the van was fully loaded up to 3,500kg too, with only the standard 130hp, 2.3lt engine.

Stunning scenery and lots of roadside snow, by the way. Highly recommended. (Check out the pass on Google).

Reactions: DBK

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
This is our fourth motorhome, but first one with the comfortmatic. Thought I made a mistake on pick up. However, after 2500 miles in three weeks I have warmed to it and would order it again. Manual mode for tricky situations, auto for the rest of the time.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
22,00 miles on mrs in 3 years. It has performed faultlessly up and down the rugged mountains of Morocco the last 3 winters.
Leave the "UP" button on all the time - you really feel the benefit both going up AND down the hills and especially hill starts

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Just to bring you up to date , we had six buses with comfortmatic gearbox issues , I can now report we have eight currently off the road , six cannot select any gears and two with slipping clutches.
just hope the weather stays cool in the next few weeks as when its hot we seem to have more problems.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
First trip in new van with comfortmatic box to Cornwall and back approx 500 miles round trip, no problems in fact loving it especially with the power from the 180 passing all those caravans on the hills !!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Does anybody know what oil goes in a comfortmatic gearbox?
As its not a full auto does it take auto or manual gearbox oil?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back