Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Only few months!
Hello all you worldly wise motorhomers out there!

I am considering joining one of the clubs, 'Caravan club' or 'Camping & Caravaning club', but when I go on the websites and stuff to look at all the sites etc. you have to be a member to see locations and prices, other than their main club sites which, if I'm honest put me off completely, as they are so expensive. I want to know which club you would recommend joining, if any and, if it is value for money?? Are they just the sme sites that I can find in any campsite book, or will there be lots of additional sites that are not listed elsewhere??

I didn't but my motorhome to then spend almost £30 per night for a pitch, considering there are 5 of us in our van...2 adults, 2 kids and a Boxer dog, this is what some of the club sites I have been able to access information on, are wanting.:Angry:

Please help, as finding suitable sites is taking some of the fun out of our new hobby. We do have the problem that it is usually in school hols when we can get away ie. High Season.

So any advice on wether joining a club, and if so which one, would benifit us or not, would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.:thumb:

A Rather Clueless Motorhome Newbie

MC3

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Funster No
Carry on camping

Many of these sites remind me of 1960's and Carry on Camping, lots of regulations, with more don'ts than do's. I often wonder why other europeans would want to go caravaning in the UK!

Controversial I know, but please……… joint the 21st century.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That is a horribly true fact :-(

Don't forget the French and German,::bigsmile: We were chatting with a Nederlander a while ago, and he said they had to learn all three at school, because no one else speaks Dutch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jane speaks Spanish, but me like most, expect everyone to speak English.:Doh: Bob. Must make more effort ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Hello all you worldly wise motorhomers out there!

I am considering joining one of the clubs, 'Caravan club' or 'Camping & Caravaning club', but when I go on the websites and stuff to look at all the sites etc. you have to be a member to see locations and prices, other than their main club sites which, if I'm honest put me off completely, as they are so expensive. I want to know which club you would recommend joining, if any and, if it is value for money?? Are they just the sme sites that I can find in any campsite book, or will there be lots of additional sites that are not listed elsewhere??

I didn't but my motorhome to then spend almost £30 per night for a pitch, considering there are 5 of us in our van...2 adults, 2 kids and a Boxer dog, this is what some of the club sites I have been able to access information on, are wanting.:Angry:

Please help, as finding suitable sites is taking some of the fun out of our new hobby. We do have the problem that it is usually in school hols when we can get away ie. High Season.

So any advice on wether joining a club, and if so which one, would benifit us or not, would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.:thumb:

A Rather Clueless Motorhome Newbie
In answer to your origional question! I am in both clubs for the sole reason that I don't use the sites often but use the CC and C&C Certificated Locations (CL) all over the country. The maximum is 5 vans per site. These are very cheap £7-10 depending on the location and there are literally hundreds all over the UK even N Ireland. I like farm sites where there is no snobbery and the dog & kids can usually roam free. some even sell eggs and bake scones. You wont get that on any site!! Most have electricity now and some have showers and toilets so a great deal allround.
I have also found that when booking ferries to France with the CC that I get a better deal. So if you can splash out £37 per year join one or the other and ENJOY:thumb:

Upvote 0

blueraven

Free Member
May 7, 2008
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since Apr 08
Hi

We have been members on and off with CC for years, it's true about the weekends being booked, but you get wise. It's also true that the ferry bookings can't be beaten and they are so helpful in helping plan a journey, recommendations etc when you phone them. The website is great also (tho not as good as this one obviously :Blush:) the sites are mostly really nice and you come to expect and get a certain standard of cleanliness in the toilets and showers and around the site. Beware tho coz they are definitely not all the same and it's good to read the description and facilities.

The magazine is brilliant with the CC.

I also joined a network for free called 'Best of British' which are excellent campsites, not as many, but of an excellent quality.

We're not very good at 'roughing it' so we particularly would recommend CC

Hope that helps

blueraven

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We joined CC, initially just because the discount given by our insurers covered the cost of membership!
Since then we have used quite a few CL's and have found them all to be brilliant. Some have been in very convienient locations for some big tourist attractions too!
We also get a few free nights at Haven, which we do use, although there a a few of these that we'd steer clear of now!
There are loads of other discounts offered so I'd say the membership fee is definately worth it.

Can't comment on C&CC as have not ever used this.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Use them for the CL's only when we cant Wild camp. Why do motorhome owners always mention the showers and toilets on sites? Most of us have these facilities on board. I dont know why if your on a site and have your own loo and shower why you would walk 100 yards across a field to a public loo and shower often it pyjamas! Can anyone explain this?

Upvote 0

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Use them for the CL's only when we cant Wild camp. Why do motorhome owners always mention the showers and toilets on sites? Most of us have these facilities on board. I dont know why if your on a site and have your own loo and shower why you would walk 100 yards across a field to a public loo and shower often it pyjamas! Can anyone explain this?

Couple of reasons.

If you use their loo you don't have to empty your own. With 5 people in our van this is significant.

Their showers are better then the one in the van. Five can shower at once. Don't think my daughter would appricate me in the shower with her.

Derek

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Couple of reasons.

If you use their loo you don't have to empty your own. With 5 people in our van this is significant.

Their showers are better then the one in the van. Five can shower at once. Don't think my daughter would appricate me in the shower with her.

Derek

You have a point. Hope you all get on well. Cant imagine sharing a van with 5! We never planned to have kids so I guess its a lot easier with just two of you. Our Kontiki Shower is brilliant so if I do find myself on a campsite which is very rare or a CL then I always use ours.

Upvote 0

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
You have a point. Hope you all get on well. Cant imagine sharing a van with 5! We never planned to have kids so I guess its a lot easier with just two of you. Our Kontiki Shower is brilliant so if I do find myself on a campsite which is very rare or a CL then I always use ours.

The other main reason which I forgot to mention is water. Muggins (ie me) has to cart fresh water to the van and take the waste back if we don't move for a few days. As it is our fresh water from full will only last about 2 days even without talking showers.

Derek

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The other main reason which I forgot to mention is water. Muggins (ie me) has to cart fresh water to the van and take the waste back if we don't move for a few days. As it is our fresh water from full will only last about 2 days even without talking showers.

Derek

I think if I was in your position I would make sure I was parked right next to a tap and just leave it permanently connected!

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Got a phone call 1/2 an hour ago, insurance renewal. I had forgotten to cancel my C.C. membership so asked Michelle from Safeguard if membership got a reduction for my renewal. Yes says she, we have it here that you are a member and you have a £20 (or so) reduction included in the quote.Not a bad saving, but if I'd cancelled C.C I was still getting the reduction. Of course I would have refunded Safegaurd as soon as I realised my mistake:Blush:
Anyone thinking what I thought? :RollEyes::shout:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fbuey

fbuey

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Only few months!
Wow! What a response!

Thanks for all your replies, it seems I may have sparked an ongoing debate.

I would just like to inform you that i have read your advice and opinions, and have joined the C&C.C. We have just returned from our very first 'MEET'. We payed £4.60 a night (not sure where such an unusual amount came from, but who cares...can't complain!) and the location was fab! Everyone was friendly enough without being 'in your face'. Really taken with all the meets and temporary sites in the club magazine...this is what it was all supposed to be about, not trawling through camping books looking for sites only to be told they're already booked up in school holidays or as someone else mentioned being charged extra for kids...dog...toad...pet spider etc. which substantially bumps up the cost of your pitch.

So watch out fellow campers, I'm sure me and my entourage (don't worry I don't really have spiders or toads either, just kids, dog and husband...who occasionally acts like a toad!?:ROFLMAO:) will see you on a Cs or temporary site soon! you have been warned.

Thanks for your help:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back