Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi,
We are now about 3 months into owning our motorhome and have been away three times for 2/3 night breaks as my wife is still working until July so have some week long van holidays booked In UK before she finishes. I am intending to go down the west coast of France early September and spend about 3 -4 weeks bobbing along looking at doing 2-3 hrs driving then stopping and seeing the area for a couple of days or even more if we like it (beach) or move if weather is bad. I have joined ACSI and heard people say don’t book anywhere as there are loads of sites/aires for space especially in September. Has anyone had any issues doing it this way or is it worth booking upfront?
TIA

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we often go in September have never booked. and when you arrive on site if you are staying 1 night you pay up front, after that you pay the night before you leave.
they usually ask how long you may stay as sometimes that may restrict which pitch you can have as some people do book specific pitches and it may conflict with your stay.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
May I suggest you do your 2 to 3 hours driving around midday, do not do a few hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon as you will find most things are closed when you stop at noon. As a friend's young daughter once said, "France is very nice but mainly closed".

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have never booked in France, full stop, since we've had the motorhome (about 15 years now). Booked the one year we went in the caravan! That was when we decided we'd be better off in a motorhome.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
Get up, have a baguette and a nice cup of tea and drive off about 11am. When you have had enough of driving check the Search For Sites app and choose a spot to stop! There are always plenty around, some free and some for 6 or 8 euros and those that cost a fortune, the choice is yours. We never book anything other than the ferry and that’s just a couple of days in advance. Don’t put yourself under pressure!

Upvote 0

KeefieWeefie

Free Member
Dec 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 520
Exp
Since 2012
May I suggest you do your 2 to 3 hours driving around midday, do not do a few hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon as you will find most things are closed when you stop at noon. As a friend's young daughter once said, "France is very nice but mainly closed".
Sound advice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mick and Ruth

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
?? many thanks makes perfect sense, I had noticed out of season the receptions tend to close for a cpl of hours so will build that into my day. ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mick and Ruth

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Get up, have a baguette and a nice cup of tea and drive off about 11am. When you have had enough of driving check the Search For Sites app and choose a spot to stop! There are always plenty around, some free and some for 6 or 8 euros and those that cost a fortune, the choice is yours. We never book anything other than the ferry and that’s just a couple of days in advance. Don’t put yourself under pressure!
Thank you? I was trying to work where and when I was going to stop but realised quickly it was taking the enjoyment out of it, and also if committed and weather poor your stumped.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like everybody has said - we've never booked in September (or any other month for that matter). ACSI is a good way to go, though obviously other options are available, including aires.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The beauty of using aires is, if there's room use it, no need to book in or out.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We never book in September. We have a rough plan of which part of Europe we want to head to, but it often changes dependent upon weather and how much we like the area we are currently in. The flexibility makes it more fun, but also allows for a change of plan if we see somewhere that takes our fancy or the weather changes. We've also found that whilst on a site people will often recommend other places to visit.

The only exception we have encountered was Ile de Re, but when we booked ahead a day or two that seemed fine as well.

It's always fun when asked where we are going by non-motorhomers to answer Europe, but no idea beyond that. Two years ago we had a clear plan to go to the Dordogne, we did got to Alsace and Burgundy but got very distracted in Luxembourg and Germany. That's the fun of it.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
One year we decided we would go to South of France. Got as far as Champagne and spent the whole 3 weeks of our holiday driving around there. Some days didn't drive more than 10 minutes, other days as much as half hour, LOL!

Denise

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back